Science is best supported by?

Science is best supported by?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
156d

@fmf said
You have missed the point. We can but speculate about supernatural things. KellyJay sees natural things and then makes what he thinks are objective claims about supernatural things. To claim that I am "arguing KJ's side" reveals that you either haven't really been following what is being said or you haven't understood it.
Neither, jackass. We're not talking about supernatural things. The creation of the universe was not supernatural, and so no speculation is needed. Observation is what is needed, not speculation. Speculation in no way drives cosmology.

By adding speculation vis a vis a "supernatural" entity is making KJ's argument for him.

ENGLAND

Moves
156d

@suzianne said
Of course not. Not without an update.
So if you don’t accept the Bible then I’ll ask you for the fifth time…

How have you formulated what you do and don’t believe Suzianne?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
156d

@suzianne said
Neither, jackass. We're not talking about supernatural things. The creation of the universe was not supernatural, and so no speculation is needed. Observation is what is needed, not speculation. Speculation in no way drives cosmology.

By adding speculation vis a vis a "supernatural" entity is making KJ's argument for him.
Creation is a singular event, there is nothing to compare it to. When people look at evolution and attempt to say that it is an explanation voiding the need for creation it is an apples and orange comparison as creation is a singular event everything out of nothing physical. In contrast, evolution is an ongoing process that cannot explain its beginning or how mindlessness could pull off such complex work as we can now read much of the genetic code that identifies what is happening. The natural world's beginning didn't start naturally, there was no nature to do it.

IP

Moves
156d

@kellyjay said
I have never said I don’t care what you say or think unlike you. You are doing what now, talking out both sides of your face? Engage or dry up, be consistent for crying out loud!
Okay, one for the road; you misunderstand my last post. Please try to work on your comprehension, like who is saying what about what, that's twice recently that you've got it completely wrong, and posted incorrectly as a consequence. I think we are both completely consistent, you, for example, are consistent in avoiding questions about your beliefs, but that has already been established. Anyway I'm gone for a while, see you sometime.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
156d

@indonesia-phil said
Okay, one for the road; you misunderstand my last post. Please try to work on your comprehension, like who is saying what about what, that's twice recently that you've got it completely wrong, and posted incorrectly as a consequence. I think we are both completely consistent, you, for example, are consistent in avoiding questions about your beliefs, but that has already been established. Anyway I'm gone for a while, see you sometime.
Why do you have anything to say to someone you don’t care what they think, be consistent either say you are going to engage or go away.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
156d

@bigdogg said
This is just a bad argument on your part.

The fact that humans design artificial devices to use in living bodies does not prove that the living bodies themselves are designed.
Have you ever written instructions for a complicated task requiring numerous things to all go exactly right at the right time? If you have than did you pour over the results to see if your instructions were followed correctly?

So you are confident without any directions, or goals, life just came together and crawled out from under a rock and started evolving?

jb

Moves
156d

@kellyjay said
A. Atheism
B. Theism
C. Poloytheism
D. None of the above science doesn't need/require any of them?
Science is supported in a way by all you listed because everyone uses it and it plays a part in their world view to some extent. Pure science requires none of categories you listed but on information that can be proven to be valid to increase mankinds physical world view. It isn't a religion, though many are taking theory as truth and teaching it as such with blind faith. George Coyne was the head of the vatican observatory and believed God created man by evolution. He said it would take several generations of stars to get the chemistry of life. He got his dick spanked by the Catholic church when he said he did not believe in miracles. I only mention this because there are too many variables and beliefs to encapsulate science from religion. Science attempts to describe our world keeping the facts straight according to a set of rules. With any luck and a lot of hard work man can get useful technologies out of it. There are quotes from Oppenheimer that shows the negative side effects of these technologies as well. If one follows science even a little bit he should be impressed at the hard work and how amazing our world is to the theists and atheists alike. I had a conversation with someone at work and mentioned the expansion of the universe as getting bigger more quickly as time goes based on the Dopler effect. He replied and said "yeah, that's called God!" I said something like Roger that and the conversation was over. He had a fairly closed mind but scientific observations like this do not disprove a God. Christian fundamentalists are not the only ones that believe in a god but get a bet touchy when observations do not match their good book.

F

Moves
156d

@suzianne said

We're not talking about supernatural things.

KellyJay is. He is speculating about the supernatural origin of the universe and he thinks his speculation generates objective facts.

F

Moves
156d

@suzianne said
Whoosh

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
156d

@joe-beyser said
Science is supported in a way by all you listed because everyone uses it and it plays a part in their world view to some extent. Pure science requires none of categories you listed but on information that can be proven to be valid to increase mankinds physical world view. It isn't a religion, though many are taking theory as truth and teaching it as such with blind faith. ...[text shortened]... only ones that believe in a god but get a bet touchy when observations do not match their good book.
Can you point out some examples where science and scripture are at odds? I believe all truth belongs to God and if something is true it will not be in conflict with another truth, if there is a conflict then our understanding is flawed not the truth.

I agree that any belief system can produce top of the line minds in science. But the problems with some beliefs are that they undermine why we can do science.

Moves
156d

All this evolution nonsense does not explain why we still have so many monkeys and apes who have not evolved along with us ex apes, and ex monkeys. Evolution is flawed.....an accident ready to happen. All it take is one fluke, and we all go bananas.

Moves
156d

@fmf said
Whoosh
Sounds like wind blowing.

"The answer my friends, is blowing in the wind."

F

Moves
156d

@pettytalk said
Sounds like wind blowing.
Nope. It's the sound of something going over Suzianne's head. It's as if she has never read any of KellyJay's posts these past 10-15 years.

Über-Nerd

Moves
155d

@pettytalk said
All this evolution nonsense does not explain why we still have so many monkeys and apes who have not evolved along with us ex apes, and ex monkeys. Evolution is flawed.....an accident ready to happen. All it take is one fluke, and we all go bananas.
It does explain this. Monkeys and apes do evolve. Just so slowly that we hardly notice it. There is, for example, a species of monkey which has a repertoire of calls for various dangers: one call for "eagle", upon which the monkeys all hide in the tall grass. Another call for "snake" whereupon the monkeys climb trees. These calls have been recorded and played to others of the same species in other regions; they all respond the same. However, there is one region where the monkeys are subjected to another predator, and they have evolved a third call, "Man with dog." When this call is recorded and played to others of the same species in other regions, they do not respond. They will be hunted to extinction and only those who respond will survive. That's evolution in action.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
155d

@moonbus said
It does explain this. Monkeys and apes do evolve. Just so slowly that we hardly notice it. There is, for example, a species of monkey which has a repertoire of calls for various dangers: one call for "eagle", upon which the monkeys all hide in the tall grass. Another call for "snake" whereupon the monkeys climb trees. These calls have been recorded and played to others of the ...[text shortened]... ey will be hunted to extinction and only those who respond will survive. That's evolution in action.
Quite a story.