Religion excludes women

Religion excludes women

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 Jan 22

@ghost-of-a-duke said
That was the one that first came to mind, but I think the same sentiment permeates scripture, the inequality between man and women, and indeed the subservience of women. Again, if the Bible is the word of God I think it is difficult to argue that God has a different view of women in the great scheme of things.
Yeah, if.

I feel you, man.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Jan 22

@suzianne said
Have you read the book of Acts?
Yes, and I’ve handwritten it as well.

Feel free to claim I’m lying about that too.

And if you read the entire post from which you quoted that excerpt, you’d know I was asking that question in the context of Jesus Christ’s Resurrection - that if He hadn’t been Resurrected, Christianity would never have gotten off the ground.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Jan 22

@suzianne said
And because of an allegory, women would remain 2nd class citizens for thousands of years.

I'm thinking that somone's gonna have a lot to say at Judgement to a bunch of church elders since Moses.

After all, they pass judgement on an entire gender and set it in stone so that it continues for millenia.
Clearly you don’t believe the entirety of the Holy Bible - neither the Old nor New Testaments. I don’t pick and choose which Scriptures to believe when no evidence exists to contradict them.

If you think men and women are the same apart from their anatomy, fine. I don’t.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Jan 22

@suzianne said
Yeah, if.

I feel you, man.
So you don’t think the Holy Bible is the Word of God because Eve didn’t burn her bra?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
So you don’t think the Holy Bible is the Word of God because Eve didn’t burn her bra?
More like, because Eve never existed beyond a reason to scapegoat women.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Jan 22

@suzianne said
More like, because Eve never existed beyond a reason to scapegoat women.
Well you obviously don’t believe Adam existed either, and there goes original sin and man’s sin nature.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
13 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Well you obviously don’t believe Adam existed either, and there goes original sin and man’s sin nature.
If the Adam and Eve narrative was figurative (which it obviously was) then the intent was to impart truth via metaphor. The beginning of Genesis therefore is telling believers that God is a creator God, that we owe our origin to Him. It also tells us that mankind has fallen short of God's original intent. (But this certainly isn't due to the actions of two individuals in a garden).

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Do you believe there was a flood which covered the entire earth?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Jan 22

@ghost-of-a-duke said
If the Adam and Eve narrative was figurative (which it obviously was) then the intent was to impart truth via metaphor. The beginning of Genesis therefore is telling believers that God is a creator God, that we owe our origin to Him. It also tells us that mankind has fallen short of God's original intent. (But this certainly isn't due to the actions of two individuals in a garden).
Yes, this is why I called it an allegory.

Like a fable, there is usually a moral, or a lesson to impart.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Jan 22

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Do most Old Testament scholars believe Genesis was meant to be taken literally?

Did Jesus Christ and His disciples believe Genesis was meant to be taken literally?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Jan 22

@suzianne said
Do you believe there was a flood which covered the entire earth?
I haven’t given it much thought one way or another because (to me) it’s not important

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Jan 22
1 edit

@pb1022 said
Yes, and I’ve handwritten it as well.

Feel free to claim I’m lying about that too.

And if you read the entire post from which you quoted that excerpt, you’d know I was asking that question in the context of Jesus Christ’s Resurrection - that if He hadn’t been Resurrected, Christianity would never have gotten off the ground.
But you said this: "After Jesus’ crucifixion, His disciples went back to their professions. No one thought about preaching anything in the Name of Jesus."

My point was, "Yeah, except everything in the book of Acts."

And yes, I know that everything in that book happened after the Resurrection. Are you saying they were ready to hang it up until three days later? None of them had faith that he would be resurrected as he had said he would be numerous times?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Jan 22

@suzianne said
But you said this: "After Jesus’ crucifixion, His disciples went back to their professions. No one thought about preaching anything in the Name of Jesus."

Again, I was talking about *before* Jesus Christ’s Resurrection.

Here’s what Ghost wrote:

<<As already posted elsewhere:

Give me one tangible piece of evidence, here in this thread, to evidence the resurrection of Christ. Just one.

Something that matches the tangibility of a fossil or a dinosaur bone.

Yes, you can say Bob Jones saw it happen, or Bob Jones wrote down at the time that it happened, but I could do the same with Fred Clark and his witn ...[text shortened]... eti. None of that is evidence. It is merely words of other men, often with their own agenda at play.>>

And here’s my full response, which includes the paragraph you quoted:

<<Where’s His body?

Why did people claim to see Him alive after His crucifixion?

Why did the behavior of His disciples change so dramatically from immediately after His crucifixion to after His Resurrection?

Why did Saul of Tarsus go from being one of the worst persecutors of early Christians to being (arguably) their greatest advocate and defender and to writing most of the New Testament?

Why did Jesus Christ’s disciples go to their deaths rather than refuse to deny they saw the Resurrected Christ?

How did Christianity even get off the ground as a religion? After Jesus’ crucifixion, His disciples went back to their professions. No one thought about preaching anything in the Name of Jesus.>>

Do you understand I was referring to the disciples’ behavior *before* Jesus’ Resurrection?

The book of Acts was (obviously) written after His Resurrection.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 Jan 22

@suzianne said

And yes, I know that everything in that book happened after the Resurrection. Are you saying they were ready to hang it up until three days later? None of them had faith that he would be resurrected as he had said he would be numerous times?
<<Are you saying they were ready to hang it up until three days later? None of them had faith that he would be resurrected as he had said he would be numerous times?>>

Yes, I am saying that.

They went back to their professions. They were hiding out in fear of the Pharisees.

And when women told them they had seen the Resurrected Jesus Christ, they didn’t believe it.

“And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments:

And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead?

He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee,

Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.

And they remembered his words,

And returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven, and to all the rest.

It was Mary Magdalene and Joanna, and Mary the mother of James, and other women that were with them, which told these things unto the apostles.

And their words seemed to them as idle tales, and they believed them not.”

(Luke 24:4-11)

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
13 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Do most Old Testament scholars believe Genesis was meant to be taken literally?

Did Jesus Christ and His disciples believe Genesis was meant to be taken literally?
Did Jesus teach in parables?