Religion excludes women

Religion excludes women

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Jan 22

@divegeester said
So the men were inspired by god to write those things about women?
I SAID I wouldn't go quite that far.

Moves
07 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Would you agree Paul is referring to the church here?
You don't think those words reflect his view of women in general?

''But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.'

When Paul said those words was he not transformed by the Holy Spirit? Does the Holy Spirt also not suffer a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence?

Is God sexist?

Moves
07 Jan 22

@suzianne said
I SAID I wouldn't go quite that far.
I'm not sure there is any middle ground here. Either the Bible is divinely inspired or it isn't. If it is, then the sexist views expressed therein can not be so easily distanced from God. The same problem arises when we read passages on slavery etc.

Moves
07 Jan 22

We can point to the Bible and the complete works of Dickens and rightly say both contain sexist views towards woman. We can also rightly say that we have to take into account the times in which they were written and the views held about woman at that time.

Only the Bible however claims to be divinely inspired.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Jan 22

@ghost-of-a-duke said
You don't think those words reflect his view of women in general?

''But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.'

When Paul said those words was he not transformed by the Holy Spirit? Does the Holy Spirt also not suffer a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence?

Is God sexist?
I think the Apostle Paul was speaking about the church. Women, as far as I know, did not receive the kind of instruction in the Scriptures that men received and that was the reason for what Paul said.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Jan 22

@Ghost-of-a-Duke
Why are you acting up?
What is your problem?

Moves
07 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
I think the Apostle Paul was speaking about the church. Women, as far as I know, did not receive the kind of instruction in the Scriptures that men received and that was the reason for what Paul said.
Yes, he was speaking about women in church. He also said, 'Women should remain silent in the churches, They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church."

Do you not find this sexist?

Moves
07 Jan 22

@sonship said
@Ghost-of-a-Duke
Why are you acting up?
What is your problem?
Perhaps you should be silent in the forums.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Jan 22
1 edit

@Ghost-of-a-Duke

Yea, but why are you eager to throw a monkey wrench into Christian faith at every opportunity? If it is not one complaint its another.

Are you trying to "get back" at somebody or what?

Moves
07 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
What about 1 Tim. 2:9–15? Sexist?

'A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet. For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve. And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. But women will be preserved through the bearing of children if they continue in faith and love and sanctity with self-restraint.'

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Jan 22

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Yes, he was speaking about women in church. He also said, 'Women should remain silent in the churches, They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church."

Do you not find this sexist?
Can you cite the verse where Paul says what you put in quotes?

Moves
07 Jan 22

@sonship said
@Ghost-of-a-Duke

Yea, but why are you eager to throw a monkey wrench into Christian faith at every opportunity? If it is not one complaint its another.

Are you trying to "get back" at somebody or what?
We are having a discussion. Try it, rather than preaching.

Moves
07 Jan 22
1 edit

@pb1022 said
It's somewhere in Corinthians.

Edit: 1 Corinthians 14:34-35

Moves
07 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Do you just play for time with these kind of posts? Are you really unaware of such biblical passages?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Jan 22

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Do you just play for time with these kind of posts? Are you really unaware of such biblical passages?
I don’t have those verses and citations memorized, Ghosty. I like to read them for myself in the KJV