1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Sep '21 01:042 edits
    Sometimes you and fall short of keeping the word of His endurance.

Typo correction:

This was meant to read

Sometimes you [and I] fall short of keeping the word of His endurance.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Sep '21 03:531 edit
    @medullah said
    When you say "main line" does that also embrace Catholic and Protestant/Anglican, coz I cant say that i have ever heard of either saying too much about Revelation.
    I am a member of an Episcopal church, which is the American equivalent of the Anglican churches.

When I said mainline, I meant Protestant churches, but I'm sure the Catholics have similar teachings.

Most churches I've been to and talked with their members, and most are a bit more concerned with living by following Christ in the here and now, helping their fellow man (yes, works), and a bit less about what will come to pass in a future that may not be here for some time. In order to overcome, we need to get there, first. But most all Protestant churches follow the established ideas of a Tribulation and Antichrist, and, in most cases, some form of rapture event or events.
  3. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    18 Sep '21 07:051 edit
    @sonship said
    @kevcvs57
    [quote] So it’s open to the interpretation to the point of meaninglessness.
    I’m guessing there are as many bibles as there are Christians and then throw in how each Christian is feeling on any given day that they are reading / interpreting it into the equation and your close to an infinite number of bibles for all intents and purposes.
    Don’t feel bad though we in ...[text shortened]... o far was without meaning, I
    will consider that.

Thanks
    Now what was meaningless to you?
    It’s irrelevant what I think is meaningless concerning the Bible given that I am 100% convinced that it’s a work fantastical fiction.
    I meant meaningless, or perhaps a better word is useless, in the sense of it being a binding text for Christians.
    Suzianne points out that the vast majority of the text is agreed upon by the vast majority of Christians.
    Would you agree with that appraisal?
    I have to say as a non Christian who pops in here from time to time it’s not the impression I get, I would guess that rather than this being a spirituality forum per se it’s more of a gladiatorial arena where the Christians are thrown to the Christians.
  4. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    18 Sep '21 10:10
    @suzianne said
    I am a member of an Episcopal church, which is the American equivalent of the Anglican churches.

When I said mainline, I meant Protestant churches, but I'm sure the Catholics have similar teachings.

Most churches I've been to and talked with their members, and most are a bit more concerned with living by following Christ in the here and now, helping their fellow man (y ...[text shortened]... hed ideas of a Tribulation and Antichrist, and, in most cases, some form of rapture event or events.
    That's really interesting, thank you for taking the time to explain.

Personally I cant subscribe to teaching not defined in the bible, such as a "Rapture". I sat in on a discourse on the subject last year where the speaker was suggesting that that it would start last September. But I guess there are variations on a theme like many things.
  5. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    18 Sep '21 10:18
    @kevcvs57 said
    It’s irrelevant what I think is meaningless concerning the Bible given that I am 100% convinced that it’s a work fantastical fiction.
    I meant meaningless, or perhaps a better word is useless, in the sense of it being a binding text for Christians.
    Suzianne points out that the vast majority of the text is agreed upon by the vast majority of Christians.
    Would you agree wit ...[text shortened]... ty forum per se it’s more of a gladiatorial arena where the Christians are thrown to the Christians.
    That is (from my point of view) a fair observation. Love goes out of the window and we do see things getting very pointed around here.

On your point of fantastical fiction I have waited for over 35 years for now. I have always believed in the time (based on that fiction) when the US/UK Alliance would dominate the scene and bring in the Mark of The Beast (Rev 13:16) , which I think will prove to be the vaccine passport. Earlier interviews with Bill Gates suggests this to be the case.

Beasts = political powers.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Sep '21 10:201 edit
    @medullah said

Personally I cant subscribe to teaching not defined in the bible,
    And there is a very long list of those teachings, many of which the churches claim you MUST believe in, or do, in order to be 'saved' or get eternal life. Some of these churches really have become the worst place to be if you want to follow Christ and get eternal life.
  7. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    18 Sep '21 14:36
    @medullah said
    That is (from my point of view) a fair observation. Love goes out of the window and we do see things getting very pointed around here.

On your point of fantastical fiction I have waited for over 35 years for now. I have always believed in the time (based on that fiction) when the US/UK Alliance would dominate the scene and bring in the Mark of The Beast (Rev 13:16) , whic ...[text shortened]... port. Earlier interviews with Bill Gates suggests this to be the case.

Beasts = political powers.
    Well I wouldn’t argue with the description of political powers as beasts but I would suggest that those beasts have been with us since before the authorship of revelations and were probably written with the authors contemporary beasts in mind.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Sep '21 14:421 edit
    @kevcvs57

I would see your attitude to be more like this:
    You hope that the Bible is untrue from beginning to end ?
    I think you prefer, you hope there is nothing there to be taken seriously.

Why do you prefer that God be fictional?

History in the West is delineated with a line - BC and AD.
    This means "Since this person has lived nothing will be ever the same again".

But to you Jesus of Nazareth is pure fiction for entertainment.
    Why do you hope Jesus Christ with the impact of His life and words are
    cataclysmic upon world history are to be dismissed as just fantastic fiction?

Do you have vested interest in nothing Jesus said being true?

Would you agree with that appraisal?

I'll have to review her comment. I don't recall her saying that exactly.
    I recall her saying something of an interpretation I gave mostly she agreed with.

I will have to re-check what she wrote.

I have to say as a non Christian who pops in here from time to time it’s not the impression I get, I would guess that rather than this being a spirituality forum per se it’s more of a gladiatorial arena where the Christians are thrown to the Christians.

I just finished reading the last few chapters of the book of Joshua. It is about the land of Canaan being divided up among the twelve tribes. Hundreds of specific places are mentioned. The mapping of the land is detailed. The borders drawn are specific geographically.

There are thousands of names mentioned in the Bible.
    There are hundreds of geographical places mentioned of antiquity.
    The Bible is anything but a "Once Upon a Time in Far Off Land" kind of book.

It is a library of books compiled over 1500 years. It is authored by 40 authors of DIVERSE backgrounds. There is a unity of scheme and purpose throughout these sixty six books.

Saying in is 100% fiction is naivete on your part.
    The Jews are history.
    Jerusalem is history.

Where today are the Hittites, the Jebusite, the Amorites, the Hivites, the Philistines, the many other peoples mentioned in the Old Testament? How come a little ethnic group - the Jews, have lasted the passage of time?

The Jews may reject Jesus, but they say by and large their roots of Sabbath, Passover, and various feasts are rooted in the accounts of the Bible.

"Its 100% fantastical fiction" sounds like wishful thinking on your part to me.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Sep '21 14:471 edit
    Some other professional opinions

What seven New Testament books do most skeptical scholars accept, and why?

Evidence that Genesis is History and Not Myth
    YouTube&t=4143s
    Dr. Gary Habermas
    YouTube

2 Top Historical Scholars PROVE that Jesus Rose (Gary Habermas and Mike Licona)

YouTube&t=277s
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Sep '21 15:031 edit
    @kevcvs57

Okay.

What do you do on Christmas?
    Do you think there is ANY conceivable background in history contributing to celebrating the birth of Jesus?

I did not say do you think everything about the tradition is true, dates of birth for example.

I ask you if you think there is any conceivable background in history contributing to
    such a wide spread commemoration of a person's birth ?

Or do you believe the tradition of celebrating the birth of Jesus is rooted 100% in pure fantastical fiction?
  11. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    18 Sep '21 15:23
    @rajk999 said
    And there is a very long list of those teachings, many of which the churches claim you MUST believe in, or do, in order to be 'saved' or get eternal life. Some of these churches really have become the worst place to be if you want to follow Christ and get eternal life.
    Historically you could even been put to death for not adopting them, the holy trinity being a good example.
  12. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    18 Sep '21 15:25
    @kevcvs57 said
    Well I wouldn’t argue with the description of political powers as beasts but I would suggest that those beasts have been with us since before the authorship of revelations and were probably written with the authors contemporary beasts in mind.
    I get that it isn't your thing but check out Revelation 13 - quite a way ahead of its time and needed a certain level of technology to enforce.

"16 He causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their forehead, 17 so that no one may buy or sell, except he who has the mark or the name of the beast or the number of his name. "
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Sep '21 15:32
    @medullah said
    Historically you could even been put to death for not adopting them, the holy trinity being a good example.
    Yes the Catholic Church was very corrupt. They still are but in a more subtle way.
  14. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    22 Sep '21 10:00
    @sonship said
    @kevcvs57

Okay.

What do you do on Christmas?
    Do you think there is ANY conceivable background in history contributing to celebrating the birth of Jesus?

I did not say do you think everything about the tradi ...[text shortened]... believe the tradition of celebrating the birth of Jesus is rooted 100% in pure fantastical fiction?
    I do what most Europeans have done for millennia I celebrate my survival to the mid winter point by eating the foods I preserved during the late summer and autumn.
    Your wrong, as usual, I don’t prefer there to be no biblical gif figure, there clearly just isn’t. It’s not my fault your favourite fantasy fiction did not stand the test of time.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Sep '21 11:251 edit
    @kevcvs57

Big talk.
    Christ is more real than you are.

And I am happy to expose your fantasy that there is no God and no resurrected Son of God. No apologies.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree