No need to be like Christ ?

No need to be like Christ ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
25 Aug 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
Apparently it is, or they would be talking about the topic instead of whinging over Robbie.

They're all little attention piglets.
"attention piglets"....Ha! 🙂

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
28 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
I have made over 36 on-topic posts on this thread and 2 brief responses to robbie's off-topic "banter" on this page. What has been your contribution, Suzianne? Ah yes... One off-topic attention-seeking 'put down' here on page 13, that's all you've offered. You and robbie are cut from the same piece of cloth. 😕 So, what do you think the implications of Matthew 1:19 (as they pertain to the depiction of Jesus) mean for alcoholics?
Well, this post contains all the wisdom of letting people like you contribute to threads about Christianity.

"So, what do you think the implications of Matthew 1:19 (as they pertain to the depiction of Jesus) mean for alcoholics?"

"Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily." -- Matthew 1:19, KJV

So let me just ask you this once. What in the hell are you talking about? Care to make some sense?

F

Moves
28 Aug 16

Well, this post contains all the wisdom of letting people like you contribute to threads about Christianity.
Take it up with the moderators, Suzianne. When all is said and done, they - and the owners of the web site - are the ones who let people like me post on their forums, and their "wisdom" is something you should raise with them and not me.

F

Moves
28 Aug 16

So let me just ask you this once. What in the hell are you talking about? Care to make some sense?
It's a typo - Matthew 11:19, which you would have known had you been reading the thread. Obviously, I'm talking about all the stuff chaney3 has been saying.

c

Moves
28 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
It's a typo - Matthew 11:19, which you would have known had you been reading the thread. Obviously, I'm talking about all the stuff chaney3 has been saying.
I did a quick google search and found much discussion on the topic of Jesus and drinking. Some people make a decision to NOT drink so they can be more like Jesus, seemingly unaware that He did drink wine.

Others are going to the extreme trying to prove that His wine was not fermented, therefore non-alcoholic wine.

Either way, the topic is interesting. The idea of moderate and controlled drinking seems to be the message, with warnings of the consequences of getting drunk.

Technically, it may have been easier if Jesus abstained from alcohol, and simply warned against it, but the fact that He did indulge would indicate....maybe...that He may want us to reflect on "To thine own self be true", with regards to the success of moderation without getting drunk.

rc

Moves
28 Aug 16
1 edit

Originally posted by chaney3
I did a quick google search and found much discussion on the topic of Jesus and drinking. Some people make a decision to NOT drink so they can be more like Jesus, seemingly unaware that He did drink wine.

Others are going to the extreme trying to prove that His wine was not fermented, therefore non-alcoholic wine.

Either way, the topic is interesting. ...[text shortened]... on "To thine own self be true", with regards to the success of moderation without getting drunk.
The Bible is quite clear that wine is to be enjoyed,

And wine that makes man’s heart rejoice,
Oil that makes the face shine,
And bread that sustains the heart of mortal man - Psalm 104:5

also

I have concluded that there is nothing better for them than to rejoice and to do good during their life, also that everyone should eat and drink and find enjoyment for all his hard work. It is the gift of God. - Ecclesiastes 3:12

although it does warn against over indulgence. An interesting aspect is that overindulgence erodes moral fibre.

Wine and sweet wine are what take away good motive.- Hosea 4:11

There are of course times when abstention is the course of wisdom, if we are a recovering alcoholic, or we are at work, or we are operating heavy machinery, driving a vehicle etc etc

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
28 Aug 16
1 edit

Either way, the topic is interesting. ...[text shortened]... on "To thine own self be true", with regards to the success of moderation without getting drunk.
'And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.'

Ephesians 5:18-20

I don't think God has any issue with drinking alcohol responsibly. You could say Jesus led by example.

'and wine to gladden the heart of man,
oil to make his face shine
and bread to strengthen man’s heart.'

Psalm 104:15

c

Moves
28 Aug 16

I think the real issue of responsible drinking and moderation comes down to whether you can do it EVERY time. It only takes one incident of crossing the line into getting drunk that can change a life. A car accident, domestic violence, a marital affair...etc.

Can one be successful every time???

F

Moves
28 Aug 16

I think the real issue of responsible drinking and moderation comes down to whether you can do it EVERY time. It only takes one incident of crossing the line into getting drunk that can change a life. A car accident, domestic violence, a marital affair...etc.

All the alcoholic friends I have had to simply stop drinking. "Moderation" was not an option. Do you see alcoholism as an actual disease or more as a behavioural thing?

F

Moves
28 Aug 16

How could Christians engage in "much discussion on the topic of Jesus and drinking" and yet be unaware that He drank wine?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
28 Aug 16

No.

But then Jesus wasn't married, or a car driver.

(Your argument would probably have more traction if you had Noah in your sights rather than Jesus).

c

Moves
28 Aug 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
No.

But then Jesus wasn't married, or a car driver.

(Your argument would probably have more traction if you had Noah in your sights rather than Jesus).
Why are you accusing me of having 'anyone' in my sights? I don't.

You are saying that even a responsible drinker will likely get drunk at times? Right?

c

Moves
28 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
All the alcoholic friends I have had to simply stop drinking. "Moderation" was not an option. Do you see alcoholism as an actual disease or more as a behavioural thing?
I'm not so certain that the 'alcoholic' topic is the only one to address. It's likely that anyone who 'intends' to drink responsibly will at some point get drunk.

c

Moves
28 Aug 16

I think my point is that drinking responsibly, or in moderation, may be an illusion. For on some occasion, even once, the line will be crossed into being drunk. Maybe Jesus never crossed that line, but who else can say it?

F

Moves
28 Aug 16

I'm not so certain that the 'alcoholic' topic is the only one to address. It's likely that anyone who 'intends' to drink responsibly will at some point get drunk.
I don't see anything immoral about getting drunk? Do you think there's something immoral about getting drunk, in and off itself? If so, what is immoral?