"Is Hell Forever?"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
29 Jul 15
2 edits

Originally posted by divegeester
OK if you say you are in a learning process; let me put it another way; can you name one spiritual matter about which you have been stating here at RHP that it was the truth, and which you discovered was incorrect?
Yes. In a thread on this public forum about "Creation" maybe a year or two ago,
caissad4 enabled me to learn that not all creatures in Noah's Ark were in pairs;
a few were more than two. I'll try to find this thread later today or tomorrow.

Have "you discovered" any "incorrect" statements of your own?

ENGLAND

Moves
29 Jul 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
caissad4 enabled me to learn that not all creatures in Noah's Ark were in pairs;

Wow, how that must have changed your life.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
29 Jul 15

Wow, how that must have changed your life.
You asked a direct question which I answered honestly. You may dismiss it rather than answer my question any day you choose.

ENGLAND

Moves
29 Jul 15

You asked a direct question which I answered honestly. You may dismiss it rather than answer my question any day you choose.
I make mistakes all the time, but then I'm not claiming that what I write in here is always correct. I think your choice of jejune response above, tells anyone reading this exchange everything they need to know about you and proves my point.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
29 Jul 15

I make mistakes all the time, but then I'm not claiming that what I write in here is always correct. I think your choice of jejune response above, tells anyone reading this exchange everything they need to know about you and proves my point.
Thank you.

Read a book!

Moves
30 Jul 15

Thank you.
Jejune without a doubt.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
30 Jul 15

Originally posted by chaney3
The dilemma here: GB thinks he is correct. Hinds thinks he is correct. Robbie thinks he is correct. Kelley Jay thinks he is correct. Sonship thinks he is correct. Rak thinks he is correct.

It is no wonder that atheists stumble upon these forums and laugh. How can our 'God' give us all His 'word' and have all of us blindly thinking that only we posses the 'truth'.

It really begs many questions.
The thief comes but to kill, steal and destroy. He is also the great accuser, and great deceiver. When one is deceived, he does not know it. Only the word of God will shed light on what is true.
Even then, many have wrong understanding.
One quotes a verse and another quotes an opposing verse to sway every one else with their own belief, right or wrong.
The trick is to find the truth and then bring into harmony the opposing verses, that is, to explain why it says such and such.
Personally, I believe the bible teaches that hell does not even exist as yet, except for the demons that are in chains. When the bible speaks of hell, it is simply "the grave".
This can easily be looked up with a concordance.
The Lake of fire, I don't think exists yet, but it will. Whatever is tossed in there will eventually burn up and cease to exist.
The root of the problem here is that many think when the bible speaks of the "soul", they think is is a spirit or conscientiousness.
I believe the bible teaches the soul is simply "breath life". It is what animates the body.
Once the body is dead, so is the soul. Animals also have soul life.
Once this is understood, it is easy to understand that the soul and body can be tossed in the Lake of fire, but both will burn up. Both will die. One cannot exist without the other.
Furthermore, you would require eternal life to burn forever. Only born again people with holy spirit, live forever.
This is worth a listen... "The fire that consumes", by Edward Fudge...
https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/[WORD TOO LONG].mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DWN.smGLi2%252fmsc0Fj%252bzt0KXXuQ%26pid%3D15.1%26h%3D150%26w%3D300%26c%3D7%26rs%3D1&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.[WORD TOO LONG]

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
30 Jul 15

Originally posted by checkbaiter
The thief comes but to kill, steal and destroy. He is also the great accuser, and great deceiver. When one is deceived, he does not know it. Only the word of God will shed light on what is true.
Even then, many have wrong understanding.
One quotes a verse and another quotes an opposing verse to sway every one else with their own belief, right or wrong.
T ...[text shortened]... sigi=12pukvc06&age=1319416193&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=mozilla&tt=b
The Word of God does not contradict itself. Any and all perceived "contradictions" occur due to faulty translation and/or misapplication of the original languages in which it was written. This is why God the Holy Spirit provided the gift of pastor/teacher during the Church Age.

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
30 Jul 15
1 edit

The Word of God does not contradict itself. Any and all perceived "contradictions" occur due to faulty translation and/or misapplication of the original languages in which it was written. This is why God the Holy Spirit provided the gift of pastor/teacher during the Church Age.
You missed (or more likely sidestepped) the point that chaney made.

All of the people who disagree so much here have each got their pastor/teacher, and many of these pastor/teachers disagree violently, as you well know, often about the exact same scriptures, which they all read in the original languages.

No, there must be other reasons for the many disagreements among Christians.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
30 Jul 15

Originally posted by CalJust

All of the people who disagree so much here have each got their pastor/teacher, and many of these pastor/teachers disagree violently, as you well know, often about the exact same scriptures, which they all read in the original languages.

Few "pastor/teachers" accept the correct priority of studying the Word of God as their full time job [40 plus hours/week] in order to teach their serious students 4-6 services each week. A Sunday only entrée doesn't provide sufficient spiritual food for growth in grace.

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
30 Jul 15
1 edit

Few "pastor/teachers" accept the correct priority of studying the Word of God as their full time job [40 plus hours/week] in order to teach their serious students 4-6 services each week. A Sunday only entrée doesn't provide sufficient spiritual food for growth in grace.
Again, missing the point entirely or introducing red herrings.

It was you that said that the Holy Spirit gave pastors/teachers as a gift to the church to ensure True Doctrine, and a defense against error. or words to that effect.

Now you say that many of these (the "few" being the exception) are actually not worth listening to?

The "few" of course will, in each and every case, be only the pastor of the particular person claiminig to have the Full Truth.

Like you, for example.

Moves
30 Jul 15

The Word of God does not contradict itself. Any and all perceived "contradictions" occur due to faulty translation and/or misapplication of the original languages in which it was written.
"Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding." (PRO 4:7)

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow." (ECC 1:18)

"For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent." (1CO 1:19)

Please account for the above contradictions that seem to fall outside your stated specification. Thanks.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
30 Jul 15

Originally posted by CalJust

"No, there must be other reasons for the many disagreements among Christians."

I'd start with they are all sinners saved by grace.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
30 Jul 15

Are you sure it was caissad4 who pointed that out?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
30 Jul 15

Did I say it did?
Pastors and Teachers disagree amongst themselves.
Again, here is a Teacher worth listening to...

"The fire that consumes", by Edward Fudge...

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/[WORD TOO LONG].mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DWN.smGLi2%252fmsc0Fj%252bzt0KXXuQ%26pid%3D15.1%26h%3D150%26w%3D300%26c%3D7%26rs%3D1&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.[WORD TOO LONG]