Is God ever wrong?

Is God ever wrong?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
27 Jan 20

@fmf said
And so I invited you to mention some of the categories of statistics (indicators) you were talking about. I mentioned a whole slew of them that don't fit your claim.

And your "answer" was to copy paste a 2,000-year-old Bible verse?
From the World Health Organization
Infant mortality
Situation and trends

In 2017, 4.1 million (75% of all under-five deaths) occurred within the first year of life.

The risk of a child dying before completing the first year of age was highest in the WHO African Region (51 per 1000 live births), over six times higher than that in the WHO European Region (8 per 1000 live births).

Globally, the infant mortality rate has decreased from an estimated rate of 65 deaths per 1000 live births in 1990 to 29 deaths per 1000 live births in 2017. Annual infant deaths have declined from 8.8 million in 1990 to 4.1 million in 2017.

Abortion
"According to WHO, every year in the world there are an estimated 40-50 million abortions. This corresponds to approximately 125,000 abortions per day."

"In 2016, 623,471 legal induced abortions were reported to CDC from 48 reporting areas. The abortion rate for 2016 was 11.6 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 years, and the abortion ratio was 186 abortions per 1,000 live births." USA

Your perceptions that things are getting better globally are skewed because you fail to see the truth. Your information is filtered through a lens of illusion. The world, in reality, is not becoming a better place.

1 Thessalonians 5:3
For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them,..

F

Moves
27 Jan 20
1 edit

@secondson said
Globally, the infant mortality rate has decreased from an estimated rate of 65 deaths per 1000 live births in 1990 to 29 deaths per 1000 live births in 2017. Annual infant deaths have declined from 8.8 million in 1990 to 4.1 million in 2017.
So, your stats corroborate my point about infant mortality. What about maternal mortality? What about life expectancy? Access to preventative health care? Access to basic education? Rising literacy. Access to courts. Increasing respect for basic human rights. Decreasing domestic violence. Strengthening of environmental safeguards (the opposite, though, in the US). Chances of being killed arbitrarily by the state or by invasions, wars etc. on the decline.

F

Moves
27 Jan 20

@secondson said
Your perceptions that things are getting better globally are skewed because you fail to see the truth. Your information is filtered through a lens of illusion. The world, in reality, is not becoming a better place.

1 Thessalonians 5:3
For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them,..
My view is filtered through empirical information. Yours is filtered through a 2,000 year old verse from Thessalonians.

V

Moves
28 Jan 20

@kellyjay said
For us to be who God created us to be truth, love, and so on has be part of our makeup. We can live what we know is a lie or a fantasy only because it is what we want. To embrace truth and love, we have to be able to say no as well as yes. You keep ignoring the nature of God as perfectly good, just, righteous, holy, and attempt to turn Him into something manageable created b ...[text shortened]... at was said and done with nothing hidden will be displayed, God’s part and ours with nothing hidden.
Is God not omnipotent? The question of "can" doesn't seem to apply, if that is the case, because the answer is always yes.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
28 Jan 20

@vartiovuori said
Is God not omnipotent? The question of "can" doesn't seem to apply, if that is the case, because the answer is always yes.
True

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
28 Jan 20

@kellyjay said
True
I concur, KellyJay. How are you?

Hel

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
28 Jan 20

@earl-of-trumps said
I concur, KellyJay. How are you?

Hel
Breathing, I hear that is a good sign. 😉 How about yourself?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
28 Jan 20

@vartiovuori said
Perhaps not.

The existence of evil in the world logically indicates God (if He exists) is 'either' omnipotent or omnibenevolent, but can not be both. (He either won't prevent evil or can't prevent it). - In either case, He can not be both all-powerful and perfectly loving.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
28 Jan 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Perhaps not.

The existence of evil in the world logically indicates God (if He exists) is 'either' omnipotent or omnibenevolent, but can not be both. (He either won't prevent evil or can't prevent it). - In either case, He can not be both all-powerful and perfectly loving.
In other words, the God between your ears can only create puppets?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
28 Jan 20

@kellyjay said
In other words, the God between your ears can only create puppets?
'Your words' kelly, not 'other words.'

And the argument I put forward has been tendered by far greater philosophers than you or I.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
28 Jan 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said
'Your words' kelly, not 'other words.'

And the argument I put forward has been tendered by far greater philosophers than you or I.
Either He can create others with the ability to go against His will and desires or not. The ability to love requires the ability to say no.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
28 Jan 20

David Hume argued that only three possibilities exist:

I. God is not omnipotent
II. God is not omni benevolent
III. Evil does not exist

Since we have sufficient direct experience to support the existence of evil, if God exists he is either an impotent God or a malicious God; not the God of classical theism. Hume concluded that God therefore does not exist.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
28 Jan 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said
David Hume argued that only three possibilities exist:

I. God is not omnipotent
II. God is not omni benevolent
III. Evil does not exist

Since we have sufficient direct experience to support the existence of evil, if God exists he is either an impotent God or a malicious God; not the God of classical theism. Hume concluded that God therefore does not exist.
God is
God is
Evil is real

The only reason evil can be real is if God is real.
If there is no God, all things are permissible.
(The last two came from others, I don't recall who)

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
28 Jan 20

@kellyjay said
God is
God is
Evil is real

The only reason evil can be real is if God is real.
If there is no God, all things are permissible.
(The last two came from others, I don't recall who)
I don't think you quite understood David Hume's argument and would be marked poorly in an exam.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
28 Jan 20

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I don't think you quite understood David Hume's argument and would be marked poorly in an exam.
He thinks they cannot exist at the same time, and he is wrong.