Is Atheism Dead ?

Is Atheism Dead ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
30 Nov 21

@avalanchethecat said
You got one point out of four right, but well done that's still an improvement on your average.

Edit: hmm One and a half, maybe.
So which 2.5 were wrong?

Let me guess: You’re an agnostic who’s read the Holy Bible and knows what Christianity’s all about. Am I right?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
30 Nov 21

@pb1022 said
So which 2.5 were wrong?

Let me guess: You’re an agnostic who’s read the Holy Bible and knows what Christianity’s all about. Am I right?
I've read a lot of stuff, but I don't regard any of it as 'holy'.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
30 Nov 21

@avalanchethecat said
I've read a lot of stuff, but I don't regard any of it as 'holy'.
Well that’s the name of the book, whether you regard the Holy Bible as holy or not.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
30 Nov 21

@pb1022 said
Well that’s the name of the book, whether you regard the Holy Bible as holy or not.
You can call it what you like, and I'll do the same.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Dec 21
1 edit

@avalanchethecat

To questions for you:

Do you believe things because of evidence?

What is your absolutely strongest piece of evidence that there is no God?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
02 Dec 21

@sonship said
@avalanchethecat

To questions for you:

I find no logical imperative to seek evidence for the non-existence of a god or gods. I accept the possibility of the existence of such, but find no good reason to believe in the existence thereof.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Dec 21

@avalanchethecat said
I find no logical imperative to seek evidence for the non-existence of a god or gods. I accept the possibility of the existence of such, but find no good reason to believe in the existence thereof.
You don’t think where you spend eternity is a logical imperative?

I could understand an atheist not seeing a logical imperative but an agnostic (as you seem to be?) Why not settle the question one way or the other?

It’s not like evidence isn’t out there.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Dec 21
4 edits

@avalanchethecat

This seems to say you have no motivation to seek if God is.
That's more matter of what you do or do not WANT for yourself personally.
But I ask about your evidence for one or the other position.

As an agnostic then what is a piece of evidence that influences you to "accept the possibility or such" ?

If you accept the possibility of such do you do so with some good reason ?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
03 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
You don’t think where you spend eternity is a logical imperative?

I could understand an atheist not seeing a logical imperative but an agnostic (as you seem to be?) Why not settle the question one way or the other?

It’s not like evidence isn’t out there.
My reason obliges me to discount scripture; what other evidence do you have?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
03 Dec 21

@sonship said
@avalanchethecat

This seems to say you have no motivation to seek if God is.
That's more matter of what you do or do not WANT for yourself personally.
...[text shortened]... bility or such" ?

If you accept the possibility of such do you do so with some good reason ?
I have found no compelling evidence in support of either position. I am, I think, of the opinion that any faith which is based solely in scripture is most likely not a true reflection of reality.

Cryogenically frozen

Moves
03 Dec 21

@sonship said
@avalanchethecat

To questions for you:

An innocent child dying of a terminal disease. Where is your omnipotent and perfectly loving deity?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Dec 21

@avalanchethecat

I have found no compelling evidence in support of either position. I am, I think, of the opinion that any faith which is based solely in scripture is most likely not a true reflection of reality.

This implies your starting point for evaluating theists is that they believe in God SOLELY because of "scripture". Most theists I know would not say "scripture" is the sole and only reason they believe in God. So the straight jacket you would like al theists to wear many would not, myself included.

Take away scripture, there is absolutely no compelling evidence for Someone like God to exist then ? We are not at the Christian faith alone. We are just considering if there is a God.

People from all around the world sometimes believe in a Supreme Being without the Scripture. They must be influenced by other evidence. You have none to infer that there may be a Supreme God ?

Native Americans spoke of the Great Spirit. They had not the Judeo / Christian Scriptures. It is possible that some believe in a Being above which a greater cannot exist, yet they are not sure about all the details and imagine some things about such an ultimate Being.

I am just trying to get you to be a little more rationale about evidence - yes or no for God.

So far mostly what comes across to me is your DISLIKE for any such God based mostly on emotional distaste for such an authority. Like you have no compelling reason to want seek for such a one. You have no need for such.

That's not the same as considering evidence. That is more in the realm of
choosing not to be persuaded that you have any need for God.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
03 Dec 21

@sonship said
So far mostly what comes across to me is your DISLIKE for any such God based mostly on emotional distaste for such an authority. Like you have no compelling reason to want seek for such a one. You have no need for such.

That's not the same as considering evidence. That is more in the realm of
choosing not to be persuaded that you have any need for God.
The mental gymnatics you must go though to attempt to paint my lack of belief in your scriptural religion as "dislike" for god are amusing and a little sad; I dislike many things about YOUR religion, but I have no dislike for any god that may exist. The way you portray your faith represents yourself as vain and self-important, which is not something I've noticed in other christians I know.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Dec 21

@avalanchethecat said
My reason obliges me to discount scripture; what other evidence do you have?
We already covered this. Why is the Holy Bible not trustworthy? Would a book of the Holy Bible gain more credibility in your eyes if it had not been included in the Bible?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
03 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
We already covered this. Why is the Holy Bible not trustworthy? Would a book of the Holy Bible gain more credibility in your eyes if it had not been included in the Bible?
We have already covered this. Why would you uncritically accept and believe ancient tales written by men whose character and motives you cannot possibly even guess at this remove?