Immortality and the human condition

Immortality and the human condition

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Right.

All I’m saying is it seems out of whack and unfair that there wouldn’t be. I’m not saying there has to be.
So we are reaching some degree of agreement on this issue?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

As much as I enjoy our chats, I plan to watch a football game and get intoxicated.

Have a good evening or day.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
So we are reaching some degree of agreement on this issue?
Yes, I think so.

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
You addressed it by saying the world’s a rough place and humans try to catch killers and cure cancer. Thanks for the enlightenment.
You should read all my posts. From a few pages ago:

If an aspiration to be immortal ~ or the idea that some will not be immortal ~ somehow creates for you a "sense of justice", now, while you are here living on Earth, then good for you.

I personally don't see how injustices here on Earth are addressed by taking some sort of comfort in speculation about supernatural punishment after death.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
So, you are finally coming round to my perspective which is encapsulated by my question? This one: "What's the matter with the idea of a creator entity creating beings with a finite opportunity to experience life?"
It doesn’t make any sense - why create social creatures and not want to interact with them - but God by definition can do whatever He wants.

The Holy Bible is clear that God does want fellowship with humans and has gone to great and costly lengths to get it.

But do I have a problem with a hypothetical god creating human beings with finite lives and not wanting to interact with them?

No, like I said, God can do whatever He wants.

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
As much as I enjoy our chats..
Mmm. I don't really get what you derive from posting in such a split-personality way. I hope you are not intoxicated when you return to this community.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
You should read all my posts. From a few pages ago:

If an aspiration to be immortal ~ or the idea that some will not be immortal ~ somehow creates for you a "sense of justice", now, while you are here living on Earth, then good for you.

I personally don't see how injustices here on Earth are addressed by taking some sort of comfort in speculation about supernatural punishment after death.
You’re attributing to me something I didn’t say or even imply - that I would take comfort in speculation about supernatural punishment after death.

My point was solely on the unfairness of the life spans.

A bad person got to enjoy a very long life.

A good person died at the age of 6.

Forget about punishment after death. Let’s assume (as your OP did) there is no afterlife.

The injustice is in the life spans. That was my point.

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
But do I have a problem with a hypothetical god creating human beings with finite lives and not wanting to interact with them?No, like I said, God can do whatever He wants.
We seem to be in agreement then. Indeed, a creator entity might not be human-like at all and may not "want" anything.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
Mmm. I don't really get what you derive from posting in such a split-personality way. I hope you are not intoxicated when you return to this community.
Apparently your sarcasm detector needs a new battery.

F

Moves
03 Jan 22
1 edit

@pb1022 said
You’re attributing to me something I didn’t say or even imply - that I would take comfort in speculation about supernatural punishment after death.
So what are you saying about your sense of injustice and how it applies to a serial killer who goes unpunished if your sense of justice does not involve supernatural punishment?

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Apparently your sarcasm detector needs a new battery.
Why do you feel the need to be sarcastic about a conversation like this?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
We seem to be in agreement then. Indeed, a creator entity might not be human-like at all and may not "want" anything.
No, I was posting as a thought experiment based on your OP and questions.

I believe the God of the Holy Bible is the God who exists and His attributes and desires are revealed in the Bible.

So in my view the Creator is the God of the Bible.

But I answered your questions assuming that may not be the case since it appeared you wanted to discuss god in a generic and undefined way.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
So what are you saying about your sense of injustice and how it applies to a serial killer who goes unpunished if your sense of justice does not involve supernatural punishment?
Did you catch what I wrote about life spans?

Assuming no afterlife, the serial killer enjoyed a long and pleasant life despite being a bad person.

The 6-year-old, despite being a good person, had a very short life.

The injustice is in the life spans not in the lack of supernatural punishment.

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
I answered your questions assuming that may not be the case since it appeared you wanted to discuss god in a generic and undefined way.
So, your personal religious affiliation aside, you agree that there is nothing wrong with the idea of a creator entity creating beings with a finite opportunity to experience life?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
Why do you feel the need to be sarcastic about a conversation like this?
Oh I don’t know. Why do you feel the need to ask 200 questions a day and not read half the answers?