Immortality and the human condition

Immortality and the human condition

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jan 22

@fmf said
The texts probably resulted from decades of 'chinese whispers' passed on by all manner of people and groups, and sub-groups, all in many respects in competition with each other; dozens of other supposedly 'eye witness accounts' rejected; nothing finalized until literally hundreds of years later, when corporate Christianity had finally finessed its fastidiously assembled text.
So to be clear, this is all conjecture, you have no evidence to back any of these claims up?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jan 22

@fmf said
I think he was probably a maverick rabbi who attracted a following because of his relatively progressive brand of Judaism but who was executed by the Romans for sedition.
And what explains His disciples’ change in behavior from immediately after His crucifixion, when they were hiding out in fear of the Pharisees, to after His Resurrection, when they refused to stop preaching in Jesus Christ’s name despite beatings and imprisonment?

Why go through all the persecution and hassle and ultimately be executed for a maverick rabbi?

How do you explain the empty tomb? All the Messianic prophecies that Jesus fulfilled?

F

Moves
02 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
So to be clear, this is all conjecture, you have no evidence to back any of these claims up?
I used the word "probably" for a reason. This perspective works for me. It's OK if it doesn't work for you.

I think conjecture about supernatural beings and phenomena, or about the veracity of the writings that make claims based on that conjecture, are an understandable part of human nature ~ by which I mean both belief and a lack of belief.

As I said, human beings in cultures everywhere, right down through human history, poring over religious literature, dreaming and hoping that they might have everlasting life: it's a ubiquitous and everpresent feature of the human condition.

F

Moves
02 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
And what explains His disciples’ change in behavior from immediately after His crucifixion, when they were hiding out in fear of the Pharisees, to after His Resurrection, when they refused to stop preaching in Jesus Christ’s name despite beatings and imprisonment?
As a non-Christian, I don't feel any need to rummage through what was written about these supposed events decades after they happened.

F

Moves
02 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
How do you explain All the Messianic prophecies that Jesus fulfilled?
I imagine the writers of the NT were aware of the supposed "prophecies" and incorporated them when they created the texts that publicized and promoted the Jesus story/religion.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jan 22

@fmf said
I used the word "probably" for a reason. This perspective works for me. It's OK if it doesn't work for you.

I think conjecture about supernatural beings and phenomena, or about the veracity of the writings that make claims based on that conjecture, are an understandable part of human nature ~ by which I mean both belief and a lack of belief.

As I said, human beings in cul ...[text shortened]... they might have everlasting life: it's a ubiquitous and everpresent feature of the human condition.
Why do you think humans have that hope of eternity? Where does it come from?

Where does the concept of infinity come from? Is infinity and eternity concepts that human beings could have learned on their own?

F

Moves
02 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Why go through all the persecution and hassle and ultimately be executed for a maverick rabbi?
People have been persecuted and even killed for being adherents to all manner of "revealed" religions since way back when. To tie this back to the OP, this persecution and killing, and groups of people enduring it, is - historically - part and parcel of the human condition.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jan 22

@fmf said
As a non-Christian, I don't feel any need to rummage through what was written about these supposed events decades after they happened.
So your disbelief (or lack of belief) is not really based on anything in particular?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jan 22

@fmf said
I imagine the writers of the NT were aware of the supposed "prophecies" and incorporated them when they created the texts that publicized and promoted the Jesus story/religion.
Well they totally missed Isaiah 53, and some prophecies, such as the date of Jesus Christ’s crucifixion in the book of Daniel, really can’t be shoehorned in after the fact.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jan 22

@fmf said
People have been persecuted and even killed for being adherents to all manner of "revealed" religions since way back when. To tie this back to the OP, this persecution and killing, and groups of people enduring it, is - historically - part and parcel of the human condition.
But Jesus Christ’s disciples didn’t go to their deaths for a sincere belief they could have been mistaken about. That’s not uncommon in religion.

Jesus Christ’s disciples went to their deaths for refusing to deny what they saw with their own eyes (the Resurrected Christ.)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jan 22

I have a sense or feeling you think I’m too far afield of the OP so I’ll leave off here.

F

Moves
02 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Why do you think humans have that hope of eternity? Where does it come from?
It is enabled by our cognitive capacity to contemplate our existence and the meaning of our lives. I imagine that even the most intelligent of animals do not have a concept of eternity because, although they may have instincts that make them avoid death, they probably don't contemplate the idea that life is finite. Maybe the hope that life is everlasting is, in many humans, a kind of instinct or gut feeling.

F

Moves
02 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
So your disbelief (or lack of belief) is not really based on anything in particular?
You should call it how you see it. That's fine by me. It's not as if I am trying to dissuade you of your belief in supernatural causality.

F

Moves
02 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Is infinity and eternity concepts that human beings could have learned on their own?
I don't see why not ~ given how our cognitive abilities provide a basis for our astounding capacity for and/or contribution to abstract interaction and imagination. Whether this human consciousness was created by some kind of supernatural entity, that's a matter for speculation.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jan 22

@fmf said
I don't see why not ~ given how our cognitive abilities provide a basis for our astounding capacity for and/or contribution to abstract interaction and imagination. Whether this human consciousness was created by some kind of supernatural entity, that's a matter for speculation.
I don’t know. As far as I can tell, infinity and eternity are concepts that we have no basis upon which to comprehend them. There’s nothing in our experience in the natural world that would lead us to eternity or infinity. Imagination is all well and good but what we imagine usually has a springboard that ties it to something in our experience or environment. I don’t see that with infinity and eternity.

You take numbers and say, “Well you can always add one more number.” But always being able to add another number and realizing that could literally go on forever are two different things. You literally have to understand forever (infinity or eternity) before you can say, “Well I can just keep adding numbers forever.”