Immortality and the human condition

Immortality and the human condition

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
It's a rough world out there; there is injustice. And so, human beings have organized themselves so that they do things like try to catch and punish criminals and they try to cure cancer.
Thanks for stating the obvious.

But you didn’t address the specific example I cited.

F

Moves
03 Jan 22
1 edit

@pb1022 said
God can’t have fellowship with man as He had before the Fall if man ceases to exist after his biological death. And God wants to live with and among His creation as that passage I quoted from Revelation demonstrates.
Specific Christian ideology aside, what's the matter with the idea of a creator entity not seeking fellowship, not wanting to live with and among its creation, and creating beings with a finite opportunity to experience life?

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said

But you didn’t address the specific example I cited.
I did. You seem to be posting hastily.

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Here is another case of me stating the obvious:

That there is injustice in the way many humans treat each other during their lifetimes does not mean, in and of itself, that there must be some sort of supernatural punishment instead.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
Specific Christian ideology aside, what's the matter with the idea of a creator entity not seeking fellowship, not wanting to live with and among its creation, and creating beings with a finite opportunity to experience life?
Then what’d He create them for?

If He doesn’t want fellowship with them and doesn’t want to interact with them, why’d He create them? Is He some sort of cosmic voyeur? Do He and other supernatural beings place wagers on whether Dave will screw up his big presentation at work or Tommy will go back on the bottle?

I mean what’s the point?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
I did. You seem to be posting hastily.
🙄

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Then what’d He create them for?
Does a creator entity, for you, have to be anthropomorphized? Does this entity, if it exists, have to have human-like reasons that satisfy the comprehension and aspirations of human beings living on Earth?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
Here is another case of me stating the obvious:

That there is injustice in the way many humans treat each other during their lifetimes does not mean, in and of itself, that there must be some sort of supernatural punishment instead.
Of course it doesn’t. Nobody said it did.

But you’re twisting my original point, which was the injustice of a serial killer living a long life after not being caught and a 6-year-old dying of cancer.

Forget punishment. Without an afterlife, the 6-year old seems cheated out of his life after doing nothing wrong while the serial killer enjoyed a long life after doing a great deal wrong.

Without an afterlife, that seems out of whack, unfair and unsettling to me. If it doesn’t to you, that’s fine. Nobody said justice has to prevail in all or even most instances.

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
If He doesn’t want fellowship with them and doesn’t want to interact with them, why’d He create them? Is He some sort of cosmic voyeur? Do He and other supernatural beings place wagers on whether Dave will screw up his big presentation at work or Tommy will go back on the bottle?
You talk of a creator entity in terms of "wanting fellowship", "wanting to interact", being [or not being] a "cosmic voyeur" etc. etc.

I don't see why we must project onto any such entity human-like attributes and emotions like you seem to need to.

Having said that, I accept that doing so is part and parcel of the human condition and features in probably all "revealed" religions.

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
But you’re twisting my original point, which was the injustice of a serial killer living a long life after not being caught and a 6-year-old dying of cancer.
I have addressed this, now more than once.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
Does a creator entity, for you, have to be anthropomorphized? Does this entity, if it exists, have to have human-like reasons that satisfy the comprehension and aspirations of human beings living on Earth?
No, a Creator doesn’t have to be.

I go by the God of the Holy Bible which is a God of mercy and justice. That’s my reference point. And the God of the Bible (at two parts of the Trinity) is a Spirit and therefore not anthropomorphized in a literal sense. Jesus Christ of course is the exception.

But I don’t think God has to be able to be understood by man and I’d be pretty alarmed if He could be.

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Without an afterlife, the 6-year old seems cheated out of his life after doing nothing wrong while the serial killer enjoyed a long life after doing a great deal wrong.
There is injustice in the world as humans live out their lives, but it does not follow that there must be some sort of supernatural intervention or remedy.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
I have addressed this, now more than once.
You addressed it by saying the world’s a rough place and humans try to catch killers and cure cancer. Thanks for the enlightenment.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
There is injustice in the world as humans live out their lives, but it does not follow that there must be some sort of supernatural intervention or remedy.
Right.

All I’m saying is it seems out of whack and unfair that there wouldn’t be. I’m not saying there has to be.

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
No, a Creator doesn’t have to be.
So, you are finally coming round to my perspective which is encapsulated by my question? This one: "What's the matter with the idea of a creator entity creating beings with a finite opportunity to experience life?"