1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 09:03
    @caljust said
    You may be right here.

Paul's Damascus Road experience is a case in point from a Christian pov.

My son relates a similar experience from a Buddhist pov.

I guess if one cultivates a sense of spiritual awareness one will be more receptive when such things come across one's way.

Again, in the Christian tradition you have the Armenianism/Calvinism debate: does God se ...[text shortened]... k God first to let himself be found?

As you well know, you will find proof for both in the Bible.
    There is only one that can prove God is real, that is God. When He calls us, it isn't always through scripture, odds are those that didn't know Him at all before our encounter never even cracked the Bible. Since God isn't a point of view, that is sort of what we should expect isn't it?
  2. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 09:291 edit
    @kellyjay said
    There is only one that can prove God is real, that is God. When He calls us, it isn't always through scripture, odds are those that didn't know Him at all before our encounter never even cracked the Bible. Since God isn't a point of view, that is sort of what we should expect isn't it?
    Just replace the word "God" in your post with "Allah" and the word "Bible" with "Quran" and read it out loud to yourself.

Edit: PS - Maybe you should turn your attention to dive's post concerning a moral compass.
    I really think this discussion has gone as far as it will go.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 09:39
    @caljust said
    Just replace the word "God" in your post with "Allah" and the word "Bible" with "Quran" and read it out loud to yourself.

Edit: PS - Maybe you should turn your attention to dive's post concerning a moral compass.
    I really think this discussion has gone as far as it will go.
    I'm only interested in one thing truth, I believe in the One God. Oh course you can offer up other names, other books, you can say the sum of 2+2 is 9 as well. Truth is exclusive which is my one point in all of this discussion. In a world where we have a million views where our morals can point in every direction, the truth will not. If you stumble upon what is real the fake falls apart by comparison.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 09:561 edit
    @kellyjay said
    I'm only interested in one thing truth, I believe in the One God. Oh course you can offer up other names, other books, you can say the sum of 2+2 is 9 as well. Truth is exclusive which is my one point in all of this discussion. In a world where we have a million views where our morals can point in every direction, the truth will not. If you stumble upon what is real the fake falls apart by comparison.
    Your thoughts on what is "true" and what is "fake" on these matters are merely your personal opinions, regardless of how certain and earnest you feel. But if you are happy with your beliefs, and they are working for you, good.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 10:07
    @kellyjay said
    Oh course you can offer up other names, other books, you can say the sum of 2+2 is 9 as well.
    Analogizing religious faiths different to yours as believing "2+2 is 9" achieves what exactly?

It sounds like you are merely saying you believe your beliefs are right and you believe their beliefs are wrong.

If you think, with the "2+2 is 9" thing, that you are presenting an argument about opinions v reality that elevates your own opinion about reality to the status of a religious or spiritual "truth" that supersedes the perceived "truths" of people with different beliefs from you, then what exactly is that argument?
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 10:11
    @kellyjay said
    There is only one that can prove God is real, that is God. When
    When ...............................................
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 10:14
    @kellyjay said
    I'm only interested in one thing truth, I believe in the One God.
    You manifestly are not interested in the truth
    because you immediately follow with your belief.

You are entitled to your beliefs and I will defend your right to them.
    But they are not truths.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 10:16
    @wolfgang59 said
    You manifestly are not interested in the truth
    because you immediately follow with your belief.

You are entitled to your beliefs and I will defend your right to them.
    But they are not truths.
    What kind of criticism is that, you believe you know the truth so you don’t entertain the fake?
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 11:10
    @wolfgang59 said
    When ...............................................
    When He calls you answer!
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 04:41
    @kellyjay said
    What kind of criticism is that, you believe you know the truth so you don’t entertain the fake?
    How did you know what was morally right and wrong before you were a Christian?
  11. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 07:21
    @kellyjay said
    I'm only interested in one thing truth, I believe in the One God. Truth is exclusive which is my one point in all of this discussion.
    This is the reason why these discussions are sometimes so frustrating......

I have shown you every which way that whatever YOU believe is the Absolute Truth, somebody else says is heresy.

Your truth is relative, not exclusive, as you maintain.

But you just cannot, or will not, accept that somebody else will defend their Truth with EXACTLY THE SAME FERVOUR as you defend yours.

Some posts back you said you accepted this, and here you are completely round the circle backto where we were at the beginning.

Sigh.....
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 07:27
    @kellyjay said
    Did I say I know the truth?
    I know very little.

You should be so humble.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 07:28
    @kellyjay said
    When He calls you answer!
    I'm ex-directory.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 07:29
    @kellyjay said
    If you stumble upon what is real the fake falls apart by comparison.
    To pursue your analogy;
    some of us walk more carefully.
  15. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 08:43
    @KellyJay

Just to clarify one more time - I certainly do not want you to abandon your belief or undermine your faith.

The only thing that I wanted to achieve with this dialogue was for you to recognize that whatever you want to receive from others (i.e. the acceptance from them that what you believe is true) you should be able to (at least according to the Golden Rule) give to others.

And I thought some posts back that we had achieved that.

Was I wrong?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree