Genesis 1:3  and Light

Genesis 1:3 and Light

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
04 Jul 21

Genesis 1:3

And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

My question is according to the text, how long would it take for the light to appear? Did the light simply appear or did God create the Sun and then the light needed to travel from the Sun to the earth? The same question about the light from the stars. If we assume the light from the stars was God's creation, how could that light be seen since it takes so long for the light generated by the stars to get here?

Obviously if we assume a creation, not only were the stars created, but so were the light rays that would reach the earth from that moment and all the light since.

Secondary question, why would we want to apply the assumption that miracles cannot happen if we are assuming that the miracle did occur?

Über-Nerd

Moves
04 Jul 21

@Eladat

The very early universe was too hot to transmit light. When it cooled down a bit, photon transmission became possible. The source is irrelevant.

E

Moves
04 Jul 21

@moonbus said
@Eladat

The very early universe was too hot to transmit light. When it cooled down a bit, photon transmission became possible. The source is irrelevant.
You were there to see it?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
04 Jul 21

@eladar said
Genesis 1:3

And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

My question is according to the text, how long would it take for the light to appear? Did th ...[text shortened]... t to apply the assumption that miracles cannot happen if we are assuming that the miracle did occur?
Apparently there is kind of discrepancy there as the sun and moon were created on the 4th day

And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good. And the evening and the morning were the fourth day. (Genesis 1:14-19 KJV)

Plus for there to to be night the earth must rotate. So it probably was not rotating prior to that. Makes no sense. That creation story if taken literally is a jumbled mess.

E

Moves
04 Jul 21

@rajk999 said
Apparently there is kind of discrepancy there as the sun and moon were created on the 4th day

[i]And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. And God ...[text shortened]... ot rotating prior to that. Makes no sense. That creation story if taken literally is a jumbled mess.
Ok, so are you interested in answering the question about light? Does the text mean that the sources of light were created and then the light followed the natural means or was did light just appear, the rays were themselves created?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
04 Jul 21

@eladar said
Ok, so are you interested in answering the question about light? Does the text mean that the sources of light were created and then the light followed the natural means or was did light just appear, the rays were themselves created?
IF you read what I wrote so far Im not a 6, 24 hr period creationist. I believe that God created all of this, but the time periods are in the millions of our years. And Gods creation is not necessarily .. Poof !! and suns and planets appeared, within the same 24 hr period. Your issue about light is not a relevant concern for me.

God probably created these sources of light the same way scientists think they are made ie by turbulence in clouds of gas. The miracle is getting all these things to work together so that life can begin.

E

Moves
04 Jul 21

@rajk999 said
IF you read what I wrote so far Im not a 6, 24 hr period creationist. I believe that God created all of this, but the time periods are in the millions of our years. And Gods creation is not necessarily .. Poof !! and suns and planets appeared, within the same 24 hr period. Your issue about light is not a relevant concern for me.

God probably created these sources of light ...[text shortened]... in clouds of gas. The miracle is getting all these things to work together so that life can begin.
So you are unable to answer the question, simply from what the text says, not what you personally believe.

I think your limitation is shared by many on this site. If it is not what you believe, then what others believe must conform to yours. By conforming to yours, obviously what they believe can be proven to be wrong.

Thanks for your honesty and not simply trying to play games, unlike others on this site.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
04 Jul 21

@eladar said
So you are unable to answer the question, simply from what the text says, not what you personally believe.

I think your limitation is shared by many on this site. If it is not what you believe, then what others believe must conform to yours. By conforming to yours, obviously what they believe can be proven to be wrong.

Thanks for your honesty and not simply trying to play games, unlike others on this site.
The answer to your question is simple. Light travels at 180,000 miles per second, and the Milky Way galaxy is about 100,000 light years across. So whatever time it took it did so within the millions of years each day represents.

By the way the creation story in Genesis is about the creation of this galaxy and our planets not about the whole universe. God and his hundreds of billions of heavenly host of angels and other creatures were all out there in the universe before this creation tool place.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
04 Jul 21

@eladar said
How come you only ask skeptics this question?

E

Moves
04 Jul 21

@bigdoggproblem said
How come you only ask skeptics this question?
He was the only one to make an absolute claim, as if he knew that it happened that way. If he knows it to be true, then he needed to be there to see it.

Über-Nerd

Moves
04 Jul 21

@eladar said
Were you there to see the resurrection?

Über-Nerd

Moves
04 Jul 21

@eladar said
He was the only one to make an absolute claim, as if he knew that it happened that way. If he knows it to be true, then he needed to be there to see it.
We know many things we were not present to have witnessed. I know my parents were conceived by their parents, though I was not present at that time.

Here is the latest data on when the first stars began to light up:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57515422

About 550 million years after the Big Bang. Before that, the universe was too hot to transmit photons, so it was dark.

The claim is not absolute. It may be revised if and when new data become available.

E

Moves
04 Jul 21

@moonbus said
Were you there to see the resurrection?
Did I make the claim that the resurrection is true? I have not claimed that anything is true in this thread.

E

Moves
05 Jul 21

@moonbus said
We know many things we were not present to have witnessed. I know my parents were conceived by their parents, though I was not present at that time.

Here is the latest data on when the first stars began to light up:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57515422

About 550 million years after the Big Bang. Before that, the universe was too hot to transmit pho ...[text shortened]... it was dark.

The claim is not absolute. It may be revised if and when new data become available.
Can you know if miracle did not happen?

Über-Nerd

Moves
05 Jul 21

@Eladar

No.

However, if someone claims that a miracle did happen, the burden of proof is on him to show that it did. Just as the burden of proof is on someone who claims he was abducted by space aliens, beamed up to a spaceship, subjected to a brain transplant, and returned to Earth a different man. I don't have to prove that that did not happen.