1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Jul '21 04:58
    @suzianne said
    You don't know how the scientific method works, either, do you?
    This is where he’s coming from: he’s afraid science disproves religion, so he thinks he has to discredit science in order to hang onto his religion.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Jul '21 06:51
    @moonbus said
    This is where he’s coming from: he’s afraid science disproves religion, so he thinks he has to discredit science in order to hang onto his religion.
    But being a Christian doesn't mean you have to be an f'ing moron. I wish more Christians would get the memo.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Jul '21 07:241 edit
    @suzianne said
    But being a Christian doesn't mean you have to be an f'ing moron. I wish more Christians would get the memo.
    Of course. Sensible Christians abandoned literalism at the Salem witch trial. But some Evangelicals are still re-trying Scopes.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Jul '21 14:062 edits
    @moonbus

I think more people have seen the propaganda film "Inherit the Wind" then have actually read much of the court proceedings of the Scopes trial.

After reading some of the actual proceedings and how W.J. Bryant fielded some of those questions I realized how I'd be influenced by Hollywood to assume the Christian on stand made a fool of himself, which he did not. Darrow's attorney did not make a baffoon of Christian fundamentalist Bryant on the witness stand.

If you've only seen the movie or play "Inherit the Wind" you've gotten a biased version of the courtroom proceedings.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 Jul '21 16:01
    @sonship said
    @moonbus

I think more people have seen the propaganda film "Inherit the Wind" then have actually read much of the court proceedings of the Scopes trial.

After reading some of the actual proceedings and how W.J. Bryant fielded some of those questions I realized how I'd be influenced by Hollywood to assume the Christian on stand made a fool of himself, which he did ...[text shortened]... n the movie or play "Inherit the Wind" you've gotten a biased version of the courtroom proceedings.
    Hollywood was bound to do that.

Movies generally do better when most of the audience can easily tell who won, and who lost.

This does not necessarily make a film 'propaganda'.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '21 16:20
    @moonbus said
    Lol

Scientific method is great for finding reproducible method for accomplishing goals.

It figures out what man can do.

It does not figure out what God can do. True believers in man cannot understand anything other than what man can do.

Just goes to show everyone who has responded to me in this discussion believes in man. Suzi's God is limited to what man can do as well. From my point of view it makes her no different than the rest.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '21 16:44
    The assumption I am making is that a supernatural act does not follow a natural rules.

All others in this discussion assume that a supernatural explanation is impossible, so there can only be a natural explanation.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 Jul '21 17:11
    @Eladar

Can you explain a supernatural event?

If yes, please do. It can be the event of your choosing.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '21 17:25
    @bigdoggproblem said
    @Eladar

Can you explain a supernatural event?

If yes, please do. It can be the event of your choosing.
    A supernatural event that can be explained by natural means? No

A supernatural event that can be proven to be true? No

Are you willing to accept a supernatural event recorded in a book but cannot be proven as true? If so, then yes.
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 Jul '21 18:19
    @eladar said
    A supernatural event that can be explained by natural means? No

A supernatural event that can be proven to be true? No

Are you willing to accept a supernatural event recorded in a book but cannot be proven as true? If so, then yes.
    Forget about 'proof' for a minute.

Can you, or can you not, explain how a supernatural event happened?
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '21 18:25
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Forget about 'proof' for a minute.

Can you, or can you not, explain how a supernatural event happened?
    How? A supernatural being who is not limited to natural laws interacts with a created natural universe. This is how the Bible explains it.
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Jul '21 18:34
    @eladar said
    How? A supernatural being who is not limited to natural laws interacts with a created natural universe. This is how the Bible explains it.
    The Bible explains nothing. It merely says 'this is what you must believe.'
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Jul '21 18:35
    @eladar said
    Lol

Scientific method is great for finding reproducible method for accomplishing goals.

It figures out what man can do.

It does not figure out what God can do. True believers in man cannot understand anything other than what man can do.

Just goes to show everyone who has responded to me in this discussion believes in man. Suzi's God is limited to what man can do as well. From my point of view it makes her no different than the rest.
    You have completely convinced me . . . that you know nothing you have not personally and directly perceived. You don't know the interior of the sun is hot, you don't know your parents were conceived by their parents, you don't know you have a brain -- you assume all these things, because you cannot have personally and directly observed them. I do know who your patron saint is: George Berkeley, Bishop of Cloyne. Esse ist percipi.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '21 18:38
    @moonbus said
    The Bible explains nothing. It merely says 'this is what you must believe.'
    That is the explanation. Something greater than us created everything. It may not be the explanation you like. You do not need to believe it. You just need to understand that what applies to a natural explanation does not apply to a supernatural.

Do that and you will be a lot less offensive to people who hold a different belief than your belief.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '21 18:40
    @moonbus said
    You have completely convinced me . . . that you know nothing you have not personally and directly perceived. You don't know the interior of the sun is hot, you don't know your parents were conceived by their parents, you don't know you have a brain -- you assume all these things, because you cannot have personally and directly observed them. I do know who your patron saint is: George Berkeley, Bishop of Cloyne. Esse ist percipi.
    You can believe what you like. To believe that your belief is absolute truth is foolishness.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree