1. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    31 Mar '21 23:37
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I'm not sure about FMF. I think he has a global if not cosmic perspective, but on the other hand, if I ever went over there to visit him, I would probably get caned in a public square just for looking like a faeg.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '21 23:43
    If you are going to cite a list of churches as being those that have ordained openly lesbian or gay clergy, in order to further the discussion, you should perhaps lay out a theological argument that one or more of them use to contend that homosexual sex is not "sinful".
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '21 23:48
    @avalanchethecat said
    How do you know homosexuality is a sin? Can you determine such without reference to scripture?
    "Sin" is transgression of God's will. Knowledge of what these transgressions are [according to any given teligion] comes from that religion's scripture. There is no notion of what is and isn't a "sin" without scripture.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '21 00:14

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    01 Apr '21 00:15
    @fmf said
    "Sin" is transgression of God's will. Knowledge of what these transgressions are [according to any given teligion] comes from that religion's scripture. There is no notion of what is and isn't a "sin" without scripture.
    Sir (provisionally), perhaps we could together find some way to move beyond those antique first attempts to delineate what is wrong and what is right, we loungers upon the quantum futons that the Cosmic Emanator has so kindly provided in Its leisurely way.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '21 02:00
    You're the one who copy-pasted a list of churches from Wikipedia which, in the context of this discussion, is a kind of spamming. If you don't know what theological argument any of them use to contend that homosexual sex is not "sinful", why not just say so?
  7. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    01 Apr '21 02:07
    Yeah, I think he just likes to scrabble in the weeds. Well, what can one do?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '21 02:08
    @kevin-eleven said
    Sir (provisionally), perhaps we could together find some way to move beyond those antique first attempts to delineate what is wrong and what is right, we loungers upon the quantum futons that the Cosmic Emanator has so kindly provided in Its leisurely way.
    I have no problem discussing morality, its sources and applications [how our moral compasses work and why, for example] and I quite enjoy the conversations that delve into all of this. There is nothing amiss about seeking to dissect and delineate "what is wrong and what is right" on a Spirituality Forum.

However, while there may be some overlapping, morality and "sin" are not synonymous.

The theist notion of "sin" is not an "antique" one. Homosexual sex, for example, in my view, cannot be characterized as being morally unsound, in and of itself, but it certainly is perceived as being "sinful" by - probably the majority of - Christians.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '21 02:111 edit
    Let me try again. What theological argument do any of these churches use to assert that homosexual sex is not "sinful"?
  10. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    01 Apr '21 06:15
    @rajk999 said
    God determines what are sins and what are not. I dont do that. Not sure where the word prejudice came in.

The only sins that will cause me to become prejudice against someone are sins like, cold-blooded murder, wilfully lying, gossipping to create enmity, greed and corruption, paedophilia, kidnapping for body parts .. that kind of thing.
    Yes, I understand that, but what I'm asking is how does one determine that homosexuality, for example, is actually a sin at all without recourse to the bible?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '21 07:081 edit

12. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Apr '21 09:42
    @avalanchethecat said
    Yes, I understand that, but what I'm asking is how does one determine that homosexuality, for example, is actually a sin at all without recourse to the bible?
    I think FMF answered your question. Knowledge of sin for the Christian comes from God and therefore the bible. Whats your answer. How do you determine what a sin is without the bible or God?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '21 10:462 edits

14. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    01 Apr '21 10:49
    @rajk999 said
    I think FMF answered your question. Knowledge of sin for the Christian comes from God and therefore the bible. Whats your answer. How do you determine what a sin is without the bible or God?
    As far as I can see, the measure of a sin is quantified by the suffering caused, although of course intent also plays a part.

I can't count the number of times I've seen people justifying actions which clearly cause suffering to others by the robotic adherence to scriptural doctrine.

How can two people in a loving relationship expressing their devotion to each other physically be a sin?
  15. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    01 Apr '21 10:52
    @fmf said
    Sorry FMF, I missed this. I agree, and I am surprised that more christians don't see the problem with this. I suppose they are blinded by the idea that their scripture is in some way god-given, which quite obviously it isn't.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree