Dick Cheney's lesbian daughter

Dick Cheney's lesbian daughter

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
14 Jun 07

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Depends on the orphanage.
Most orphanages are only too happy for someone to adopt one of their children.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
14 Jun 07

For the most part, much the same as I do about straight single adoptive parents.
How would you feel about a gay man "married" to a gay woman for convenience and the couple adopting?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
14 Jun 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
How would you feel about a gay man "married" to a gay woman for convenience and the couple adopting?
That's nice. He could probably put something into the "father figure" performance that a regular guy could not, on account of his wooden regular guy emotions.

Cape Town

Moves
14 Jun 07

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Possibly not orphanages run by a religious organization when the adopter is gay.
Most orphanages will turn down prospective parents if they are seriously unsuitable (drunkards, drug addicts, convicted criminals, pedophiles etc).

l

London

Moves
14 Jun 07

I'm sure.

l

London

Moves
14 Jun 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Gay, or Homosexual?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
14 Jun 07

Gay, or Homosexual?
Gay as in homosexual...

l

London

Moves
14 Jun 07

Gay as in homosexual...
A gay is almost always homosexual; a homosexual isn't necessarily a gay.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
14 Jun 07

This is news to me. What's the difference?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
14 Jun 07

From the Oxford dictionary entry for gay...

. 3 A homosexual; sometimes spec. a male homosexual. Chiefly colloq. M20.gaydom n. (chiefly colloq.) the realm or world of homosexuals L20.

I think you're confusing gays with faggots.

l

London

Moves
14 Jun 07

From the Oxford dictionary entry for gay...

. 3 A homosexual; sometimes spec. a male homosexual. Chiefly colloq. M20.gaydom n. (chiefly colloq.) the realm or world of homosexuals L20.

I think you're confusing gays with faggots.
Usage Note: The word gay is now standard in its use to refer to people whose orientation is to the same sex, in large part because it is the term that most gay people prefer in referring to themselves. Gay is distinguished from homosexual primarily by the emphasis it places on the cultural and social aspects of homosexuality as opposed to sexual practice.

"gay." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. 14 Jun. 2007. Dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gay

I was using 'homosexual' to refer to those of homosexual orientation (regardless of whether they lead a sexually active life).

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
14 Jun 07

I was using 'homosexual' to refer to those of homosexual orientation (regardless of whether they lead a sexually active life).
OK...Now what we've figured out what you're talking about,

1. He's gay but not sexually active.
2. He's gay and sexually active but very discreet (works at a bank, can't afford to make waves).
3. He's a flaming queen and doesn't care who knows.

l

London

Moves
14 Jun 07

OK...Now what we've figured out what you're talking about,

1. He's gay but not sexually active.
2. He's gay and sexually active but very discreet (works at a bank, can't afford to make waves).
3. He's a flaming queen and doesn't care who knows.
Refer Usage Note in my previous post. The term 'gay' is most appropriate for (3), perhaps marginally for (2) and least appropriately for (1).

Also, are we talking about a single guy adopting or a same-sex couple or a different-sex homosexual couple?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
14 Jun 07

Refer Usage Note in my previous post. The term 'gay' is most appropriate for (3), perhaps marginally for (2) and least appropriately for (1).
Sorry mate, the real world doesn't agree with your ridiculous Usage Note. Try searching "celibate gay" and see.

ATY's originally proposed a marriage of convenience between two people of different sex and homosexual orientation. Why not include all the permutations in your response?

l

London

Moves
14 Jun 07

Sorry mate, the real world doesn't agree with your ridiculous Usage Note. Try searching "celibate gay" and see.

ATY's originally proposed a marriage of convenience between two people of different sex and homosexual orientation. Why not include all the permutations in your response?
It isn't my "ridiculous Usage Note" -- it was taken from the American Heritage Dictionary, 2006. Why is my citing a dictionary "ridiculous" when your doing the same (for the same word) is not?

(Not sure what the search for "celibate gay" was supposed to reveal. I found some stuff about "celibate gay priests" and some other stuff about gay, ex-gay and gay non-celibate religious believers. Were you trying to say I wouldn't find anything meaningful or that I would?)

With ATY's hypothetical couple, in either case, my main objection to same-sex adoption (gay, homosexual, heterosexual, whatever); i.e. complementarity of sexes would be sated. Then the consideration would be fairly similar to that with a normal couple -- household/financial stability, larger family support, marital stability etc.

If, as you say, one or both of the spouses are "flaming drag queens" then I might want to probe a little deeper. This would involve both an internal evaluation in terms of complementarity, as well as an environmental evaluation about job security, safety on the job, lifestyle etc.