Diagnose me

Diagnose me

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
22 Mar 21

@secondson said
We have talked, and unlike the rest of you we didn't feel the need to level innuendos against each other even when we disagreed.
What about levelling innuendo, hurling abuse and using biblical text make the most vile insults...against other people, which you have done on a regular basis?

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
22 Mar 21

@secondson said
You must not recall how I did disagree, though I do understand the position.
My question to sonship was rhetorical.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
22 Mar 21
1 edit

@secondson
Should I infer from your lack of response that you are affiliated with the same religion as Sonship? Or is it a deeper, mystical relationship, are you actually Secondsonship, come again even though we haven't even crucified the first one yet?

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
22 Mar 21

@avalanchethecat said
@secondson
Should I infer from your lack of response that you are affiliated with the same religion as Sonship? Or is it a deeper, mystical relationship, are you actually Secondsonship, come again even though we haven't even crucified the first one yet?
Same religion as in both Christian, but not affiliated to the same branch of Christianity. (Sonship sits on his own twig). It is true though that many Christians are strangely accommodating or quiet to his non-biblical ramblings.

Moves
22 Mar 21
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said It is true though that many Christians are strangely accommodating or quiet to his non-biblical ramblings.
There are hardly any Christians here, at least not frequently.

Secondson rocks up every so often try to get the squeak out of his new Doc Martin bovver boots.

Other than myself and I suppose Rajk999, who doesn’t really identify as “Christian”, thats about it.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
22 Mar 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Same religion as in both Christian, but not affiliated to the same branch of Christianity. (Sonship sits on his own twig). It is true though that many Christians are strangely accommodating or quiet to his non-biblical ramblings.
When you say 'accommodating' do you mean they show agreement? Or just don't show disagreement?

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
22 Mar 21

@avalanchethecat said
When you say 'accommodating' do you mean they show agreement? Or just don't show disagreement?
Disagree but without significant challenge.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
22 Mar 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Disagree but without significant challenge.
I guess that's understandable. Differences between brands of christianity are less overt than those between christianity and the a-religious.

Über-Nerd

Moves
26 Mar 21

@divegeester said
This idea I’m floating here is for a poster, me in this case, to start a new thread entitled “Diagnose me” and to create an OP describing their belief structure or motivations honestly, concisely and with the knowledge that they will probably get a little roasted. But it might be interesting and it might be fun.

So I’ll go first:
- I seem to have a robust belief that ...[text shortened]... ellant.
- I believe in Jesus Christ, still, somehow.

Diagnose me, feel free to speak your mind.
You want to cherry-pick the bits of Christianity you like and leave off the bits you don't like. There's a word for people who do that: it's "heretic."

Thank secular institutions the true believers aren't allowed to burn you at the stake anymore.

Moves
26 Mar 21

@moonbus said
You want to cherry-pick the bits of Christianity you like and leave off the bits you don't like. There's a word for people who do that: it's "heretic."

Thank secular institutions the true believers aren't allowed to burn you at the stake anymore.
Your first sentence is pure sonship from a couple of years ago, maybe less.

I’d far rather be burnt at the stake by a dark ages witchfinder than take my chances with sonship’s version of eternal suffering.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
27 Mar 21

@divegeester said
Your first sentence is pure sonship from a couple of years ago, maybe less.

I’d far rather be burnt at the stake by a dark ages witchfinder than take my chances with sonship’s version of eternal suffering.
Thank God it's not either/or, eh?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
27 Mar 21

@divegeester said
You have a few points in your bag after your excellent comment to sonship a couple of weeks ago; try not to throw them away on cheap unreferenced, unqualified insults.
In other words, "you gained a few brownie points with me by attacking the same guy I've been attacking for years, so don't waste them by attacking me too."

Are you threatening him? Trying to inform him on which side his bread is buttered, by insinuating he can benefit from your support?

As Eric Idle used to say, "oh, no, no, no, no, no, no, yes."

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
27 Mar 21

@moonbus said

This is saying that Christianity is some monolithic, etched-in-stone dogma that can't be questioned.

Funny, but in fact, you might have something there because nearly everyone seems to think their particular belief is the only reasonable one. So, in effect, everyone becomes a "heretic".

Even Jesus in his time.

Moves
27 Mar 21
3 edits

@suzianne said
In other words, "you gained a few brownie points with me by attacking the same guy I've been attacking for years, so don't waste them by attacking me too."

Are you threatening him? Trying to inform him on which side his bread is buttered, by insinuating he can benefit from your support?
He gained a points of my respect after making an on topic reply to Sonship’s claims about “Jesus flowing through people”. He quoted the biblical description of Jesus “abiding”, not flowing. It was an excellent on topic debating point, succinctly made and perfectly pitched.

You should try it sometimes.

Moves
27 Mar 21

@suzianne said
Thank God it's not either/or, eh?
It’s neither, of course.