1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Mar '21 07:56
    This idea I’m floating here is for a poster, me in this case, to start a new thread entitled “Diagnose me” and to create an OP describing their belief structure or motivations honestly, concisely and with the knowledge that they will probably get a little roasted. But it might be interesting and it might be fun.

So I’ll go first:
    - I seem to have a robust belief that there is a God
    - brought up in a “Christian” home I rejected the Christian religion and then came back to it in my last 20s.
    - I’ve learnt to somehow simultaneously believe in the Bible and yet to also challenge it’s veracity, it’s legitimacy to claim to be the complete and totally infallible word of God.
    - I despise corporate religion
    - I abhor several established Christian doctrines (you know the ones)
    - I don’t go to “church”
    - I find all visible western Christianity an anathema
    - I find western Christians, and especially many American Christian attitudes utterly repellant.
    - I believe in Jesus Christ, still, somehow.

Diagnose me, feel free to speak your mind.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '21 08:33
    @divegeester said
    I believe in Jesus Christ, still, somehow.
    In practical and personal terms, what do you think would be the consequences for you if you lost your belief in Jesus Christ?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Mar '21 15:46
    @divegeester said
    This idea I’m floating here is for a poster, me in this case, to start a new thread entitled “Diagnose me” and to create an OP describing their belief structure or motivations honestly, concisely and with the knowledge that they will probably get a little roasted. But it might be interesting and it might be fun.

So I’ll go first:
    - I seem to have a robust belief that ...[text shortened]... ellant.

It appears that a primary reason that you are a Christian today is because that's what you were introduced to in your youth, and you sort of went with it throughout your life. There also still seems to be a good amount of doubt in your beliefs, but you've got too much invested at this point to find an alternative belief, or to just discard Christianity altogether. If I'm right, I don't blame you, because believing in a God is entirely different than trying to believe everything that's laid out in the Bible.
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Mar '21 16:18
    @divegeester said

So I’ll go first:

On paper, I would diagnose you as a deist who has anchored his belief in a God on something reassuring and tangible from his past, Jesus. For the average Christian, take away their Bible and you take away their faith. I don't think that applies to you, with your own belief in a deity of some description not entirely reliant on scripture.

In short, you are a deist wearing a Christian cardigan.
  5. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    14 Mar '21 16:20
    @divegeester said

So I’ll go first:

diagnosis: a thoughtful human with questions
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Mar '21 17:163 edits

Removed by poster

7. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Mar '21 18:09
    @sonship removed their quoted post
    Fool, Liar, Devil, is how Christ describes you and your Chinese doctrine. As with things from China your doctrine is cheap, cannot last, and not well thought out.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Mar '21 18:33
    @divegeester

Allow me to ask.
    Do you believe in Jesus Christ?
    Or do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ?
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Mar '21 19:541 edit
    @sonship said
    @divegeester

Allow me to ask.
    Do you believe in Jesus Christ?
    Or do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ?
    Calling Jesus Lord does not fool anyone but yourself.

And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
    (Luke 6:46 KJV)
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Mar '21 20:37
    @Rajk999

Would you shut up for a moment and let the man answer?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '21 21:58
    @sonship removed their quoted post
    I diagnose that you are licking your wounds here.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Mar '21 22:10
    @fmf said
    In practical and personal terms, what do you think would be the consequences for you if you lost your belief in Jesus Christ?
    If I lost my faith the consequences would appear different to me after the loss, than they would would before the loss of faith.

Before the loss of faith, i.e. now, I would describe the consequences as quite emotionally and spiritually devastating, but if I was speaking/writing after the loss of faith then I would look back and say that I was probably relieved to be free of carrying a delusion in my mind.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Mar '21 22:11
    @chaney3 said
    It appears that a primary reason that you are a Christian today is because that's what you were introduced to in your youth, and you sort of went with it throughout your life. There also still seems to be a good amount of doubt in your beliefs, but you've got too much invested at this point to find an alternative belief, or to just discard Christianity altogether. If I'm righ ...[text shortened]... eving in a God is entirely different than trying to believe everything that's laid out in the Bible.
    I see no reason to abandon my faith, and in fact I couldn’t do such a thing.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Mar '21 22:13
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    On paper, I would diagnose you as a deist who has anchored his belief in a God on something reassuring and tangible from his past, Jesus. For the average Christian, take away their Bible and you take away their faith. I don't think that applies to you, with your own belief in a deity of some description not entirely reliant on scripture.

In short, you are a deist wearing a Christian cardigan.
    A fair assessment.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Mar '21 22:15
    @rookie54 said
    diagnosis: a thoughtful human with questions
    Probably not thoughtful enough.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree