1. S. Korea
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 03:34
    @secondson said
    I believe it's both.

Man was created by God, and man invents new ones to suit his purpose.
    I agree with this.

At one point everybody knew their descent from Adam, but distance from this and forgetfulness produced other early world religions, and the religions sometimes were spawned by greed, lust for power, or deception.

Of course, some religions have a positive motivation, but remain false.

There must always be nuance.
  2. S. Korea
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 03:36
    @petewxyz said
    Given that man has the capacity to be highly devious does that mean that all of man's representations of God and God's word are likely to be corrupted and misrepresentations of the God that you believe created man?
    This is why we have to go to the absolute source and to reject any innovations which go far beyond ir with our Christianity.

We must also sometimes look for signs if our certainty is lacking.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 05:03
    @divegeester said
    [quote] @suzianne said
    You say you "tend to believe in the concept of theistic evolution" but this is news to me. I've seen nothing in all of your writings here that even suggests that you "lean that way". I thought I was the only Christian in this forum whose thought process "leaned that way". In fact, [b]I've ended up arguing this out with many other Christia ...[text shortened]... een here, and I pay pretty close attention.

I would be interested in reading the threads please?
    Nice attempt to naysay my argument.

Either you missed them for some reason that was your fault, not mine, or you're just being dishonest. Postings go through cycles. I've expressed my opinion many times when the conversation wound its way back across those subjects. I'll submit that your memory must not be what it used to be, or that, you know, you paid little attention because it was me saying it.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 05:40
    @suzianne said
    Either you missed them for some reason that was your fault, not mine, or you're just being dishonest. Postings go through cycles. I've expressed my opinion many times when the conversation wound its way back across those subjects. I'll submit that your memory must not be what it used to be, or that, you know, you paid little attention because it was me saying it.
    Oh right, ok.

So you won’t discuss it now but you’ve discussed many times before with many other Christians and all of those threads I’ve missed despite my playing and posting on this site on a daily basis for over a decade...

I see.
  5. S. Korea
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 11:23
    @divegeester said
    despite my playing and posting on this site on a daily basis for over a decade...
    Congratulations on that feat, btw.
  6. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 11:43
    @philokalia said
    This is why we have to go to the absolute source and to reject any innovations which go far beyond ir with our Christianity.

We must also sometimes look for signs if our certainty is lacking.
    Perhaps if you believe there is no possibility of going to the absolute source you are forced into a position of uncertainty?
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 12:11
    @petewxyz said
    Perhaps if you believe there is no possibility of going to the absolute source you are forced into a position of uncertainty?
    Sure.

This would be a different topic, but I tend to agree with the Greek philosophers that there really is and can only be one supreme God, right. Eventually, Indian religion became quite henoistic and many of htese religions point to a supreme, originator God. It just logically makes more sense that one supreme being would be at the center of eveyrthing, and not that there would be multiple supreme creators that simply came into eixstence at the same time.

And from there, we get into arguments about what monotheist religion looks plausibly to be the right one -- especially considering that it seems quite logical that God would reach out to His Creation and not just be a silent observer.

Obviously, this becomes a very long argument and is a bit beyond the scope of this thread but we can always make a new one if y ou want.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 12:13
    @philokalia said
    Congratulations on that feat, btw.
    Cheers.
  9. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    26 Jul '20 12:43
    @philokalia said
    Sure.

This would be a different topic, but I tend to agree with the Greek philosophers that there really is and can only be one supreme God, right. Eventually, Indian religion became quite henoistic and many of htese religions point to a supreme, originator God. It just logically makes more sense that one supreme being would be at the center of eveyrthing, and n ...[text shortened]... argument and is a bit beyond the scope of this thread but we can always make a new one if y ou want.
    I'd be interested to read it if you've got the material to start it.
  10. S. Korea
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 06:18
    @petewxyz said
    I'd be interested to read it if you've got the material to start it.
    Sure!

I'll throw one out there some time, but it is kind of something of a fool's errand because of the fact that nobody can really know objective reality -- all logic, all epistemologies, all truth is fleeting.

But I will definitely consider throwing some stuff out there in the future when I have more time.
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 08:40
    @divegeester said
    [quote] @suzianne said
    You say you "tend to believe in the concept of theistic evolution" but this is news to me. I've seen nothing in all of your writings here that even suggests that you "lean that way". I thought I was the only Christian in this forum whose thought process "leaned that way". In fact, [b]I've ended up arguing this out with many other Christia ...[text shortened]... een here, and I pay pretty close attention.

I would be interested in reading the threads please?
    Please don't ask me to specify threads because I won't bother, but it's very obvious to me at least that Suzianne is a Christian who accepts the fact of evolution, and as far as I'm aware this has always been her position.
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 08:46
    @philokalia said
    I agree with this.

At one point everybody knew their descent from Adam, but distance from this and forgetfulness produced other early world religions, and the religions sometimes were spawned by greed, lust for power, or deception.

Of course, some religions have a positive motivation, but remain false.

There must always be nuance.
    What....? At which point did 'everybody', (in the whole world?) know of their descent from Adam?
    And you don't think the Christian church has ever been greedy, lusted for power or has ever deceived?
    Which world have you been living in?
  13. S. Korea
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 09:36
    @indonesia-phil said
    What....? At which point did 'everybody', (in the whole world?) know of their descent from Adam?
    Long before recorded history.
  14. S. Korea
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 09:37
    @indonesia-phil said
    And you don't think the Christian church has ever been greedy, lusted for power or has ever deceived?
    Which world have you been living in?
    Of course it has been.

All men fall short of the glory of God.

Sometimes i even think... Especially the church.
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    27 Jul '20 09:45
    @philokalia said
    Long before recorded history.
    If it wasn't recorded, how do you know?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree