Being a deist

Being a deist

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Jan 22

@fmf said
I can't just decide to be one, obviously. But maybe one day I will realize that a deist is what I am. It'd be the result of a process, not a decision.

What would theists make of this if it happened? And what would atheists make of it?
I think it would be a step in the right direction at least in my opinion for what that is worth.

F

Moves
09 Jan 22
1 edit

@kellyjay said
I think it would be a step in the right direction at least in my opinion for what that is worth.
Would converting to Judaism or Islam be even more of a step in the right direction than becoming a deist?

Moves
09 Jan 22

@fmf said
I can't just decide to be one, obviously. But maybe one day I will realize that a deist is what I am. It'd be the result of a process, not a decision.
In the year 2035, and who knows why, Metaverse Admin will send you a Deist card that gets you free shrimp and scallion tater tots wherever you go.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Jan 22

@fmf said
Would converting to Judaism or Islam be even more of a step in the right direction than becoming a deist?
Moving towards God is a step in the right direction, but meeting God through the only means possible, the one God setup, which is very exclusive, is the only real step that matters. Walking towards Him is one thing; meeting Him is altogether different.

F

Moves
09 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
Moving towards God is a step in the right direction, but meeting God through the only means possible, the one God setup, which is very exclusive, is the only real step that matters. Walking towards Him is one thing; meeting Him is altogether different.
Do you believe that your God figure is working behind the scenes, so to speak, to move Jews and Muslims towards what you call the "only real...one God setup"?

F

Moves
09 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
And do you think that atheists moving to deism are doing so with your God figure's help?

Moves
09 Jan 22

@fmf said
Do you believe that your God figure is working behind the scenes, so to speak, to move Jews and Muslims towards what you call the "only real...one God setup"?
Yet again you seem overly fixated on another little incarnate person, instead of the One or the None.

Please try not to be such a bully. What's it to you what they believe? Jackass.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Jan 22

@fmf said
And do you think that atheists moving to deism are doing so with your God figure's help?
I don't have a god figure, and the term is insulting to me.

Moves
09 Jan 22
1 edit

The bad news is that characters like FMF will be the first (from Earth) to go for quantum life extension.

Fresh devils, and smug about it.

F

Moves
09 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
Yours is the Christian one. The added word "figure" reflects that there are many different God figures that humans believe in. You really ought not to be offended by dissenting perspectives on a forum where people have different perspectives.

Moves
09 Jan 22

@fmf said
Yours is the Christian one. The added word "figure" reflects that there are many different God figures that humans believe in. You really ought not to be offended by dissenting perspectives on a forum where people have different perspectives.
What are you going to do about it? Beat him up in the showers, you overgrown brat?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Jan 22
1 edit

@fmf said
And yet even when I disagree with someone, I don't say things I know are personally insulting to them intentionally. You find things insulting, and when you express that, you hope it stops, or do you think the one saying the offensive thing should justify themselves in what you find insulting and say it is your fault?

F

Moves
09 Jan 22
2 edits

@kellyjay said
And yet even when I disagree with someone, I don't say things I know are personally insulting to them intentionally. You find things insulting, and when you express that, you hope it stops, or do you think the one saying the offensive thing should justify themselves in what you find insulting and say it is your fault?
My choice of words reflects my perspective that the deity you just so happen to worship is one of countless deities.

I am intentionally expressing this view and intentionally not elevating the deity you worship above others by referring to it as "God" as if your deity warrants exclusive use of the word.

That you find this perspective, when clearly articulated, insulting is a matter for you. I'd be using the same words - "God figure" - if I were talking to a Jew or a Muslim.

You ought not to find it insulting that I don't give your deity some special lexicographical treatment because of your feelings.

F

Moves
09 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
Now, now. Don't you go taking a leaf from the leftwing political correctness playbook and try to restrict my language by citing your own outrage - or feelings of being offended - as a reason to censor or censure how I express myself.

It's not as if "God figure" is a kind of hate speech intended to incite immoral actions. It's just a candid perspective that you disagree with, that's all.

Moves
09 Jan 22
1 edit