"Babylon the Great"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
31 Dec 21

@galveston75 said
One very common thing with cults if secrecy. Usually they are very withdrawn on many levels because they usually have something to hide.
I've been a JW all my life. Never once have the doors been locked during the meetings. Our doors are open to anyone who walks in. Unfortunately with covid all our meetings are online. I hate that.
But again the doors are open to all. ...[text shortened]... xplained in the Bible

Oh yes, it's very good.. Lol. "Captain Morgan Special Reserve Spiced Rum"
Do we need more proof ? Here we have the behavior of the followers who would rather die, or go down fighting, talking utter nonsense, in support of their beloved idol the Watchtower. The two sides to a cult - the controlling leader and the sycophant follower. Case closed.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
31 Dec 21

@rajk999 said
Do we need more proof ? Here we have the behavior of the followers who would rather die, or go down fighting, talking utter nonsense, in support of their beloved idol the Watchtower. The two sides to a cult - the controlling leader and the sycophant follower. Case closed.
Idol? Like what was condemned by Jehovah in the original 10 commandments? Seriously? No we would never fight anyone and we have no death wish. What foolish comments. And you are trying to get ones here to take you seriously? Lol........

F

Moves
31 Dec 21

@galveston75 said
One very common thing with cults if secrecy. Usually they are very withdrawn on many levels because they usually have something to hide.
Did the Australian Royal Commission find that your organization behaved like it had something to hide?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
31 Dec 21

@galveston75 said
Sometimes the truth isn't comfortable, is it? And no I'm not kidding. So sorry. Are you kidding?
That's my point. It is so far away from truth so as to be simple irony.

I cannot believe you posted that with a straight face.

But then again, we seem (as a people) plagued with untruth lately. A sign of the times, perhaps.

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
31 Dec 21

@suzianne said
That's my point. It is so far away from truth so as to be simple irony.

I cannot believe you posted that with a straight face.

But then again, we seem (as a people) plagued with untruth lately. A sign of the times, perhaps.
Untruth as a people

Rev 13:14

14 Because of the signs it was given power to perform on behalf of the first beast, it deceived the inhabitants of the earth.

I agree

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
31 Dec 21
2 edits

@galveston75 said
Idol? Like what was condemned by Jehovah in the original 10 commandments? Seriously? No we would never fight anyone and we have no death wish. What foolish comments. And you are trying to get ones here to take you seriously? Lol........
Ok, dont disappear after you read this.
Here is a statement by the Watchtower that God is the Father and the Watchtower is the Mother. What do you think that means? Let me answer. Just as a Christian would reverence and worship God the Father, they should worship and reverence the Watchtower Organisation. In fact they call themselves the Mother of Christ. Here is an excerpt from a report :

When I was a Jehovah's Witness for 15 years we all believed that the Watchtower Organization on earth was our "mother". Jehovah God, of course, was our father. We knew our "mother organization" was headed up by the remnant of the 144,000, the elite class of Jehovah's Witnesses who were going to heaven to rule with Christ. They ran the earthly Watchtower Organization and all had to obey them. All these decades later, we received an email inquiry that read,

"While putting together some Watchtower material for witnessing to JWs, I read a most troubling quote from the Watchtower of May 1, 1957, page 275: "In this way Paul identifies Jehovah's wife as His invisible universal organization, the mother of Christ and of his joint heirs". Am I reading this correctly? Are they calling themselves "the mother of Christ"? Is the Watchtower Society calling itself Christ's mother?” Usually a ready answer pops into my mind, but I admit this question gave me pause. I had never heard the organization called "Christ's mother" in all my years as a JW, nor in my 29 years since leaving, mostly spent in full time ministry to JWs.

https://mmoutreach.org/jw-mother.html

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
31 Dec 21
2 edits

@rajk999 said
Ok, dont disappear after you read this.
Here is a statement by the Watchtower that God is the Father and the Watchtower is the Mother. What do you think that means? Let me answer. Just as a Christian would reverence and worship God the Father, they should worship and reverence the Watchtower Organisation. In fact they call themselves the Mother of Christ. Here is ...[text shortened]... e leaving, mostly spent in full time ministry to JWs. [/i]

https://mmoutreach.org/jw-mother.html
No disapearing here but will be out of town until Tuesday. You can verify this with Medullah as I told him this yesterday.

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
31 Dec 21

@rajk999 said
Paul said the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the believing wife.

That is a million miles away from the JWs who have encouraged unbelieving spouses to leave the other, they have put parents against children and vicevesa.

They are an evil organisation
That's nonesense. They don't try and split up marriages.

It has been widely reported that they split up extended families which is a different argument.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
31 Dec 21

@medullah said
That's nonesense. They don't try and split up marriages.

It has been widely reported that they split up extended families which is a different argument.
I am going by what people close to the JWs have reported, and by what the JWs have published in their magazine etc. I know nothing of them personally.

Here is one. There are many such reports

Shunning — known as disfellowship among Jehovah's Witness — is a punishment implemented by a panel of elders and calls on all other members of the congregation to reject the person both socially and emotionally, even if they are a family member. That means they shouldn't speak to them, greet them or socialize with them in any way.

"When someone in the group breaks the norms of the group, when they go against what the group regards as its ethical standards, they essentially excommunicate the member and they tell members of their own community that they shouldn't talk to them, they shouldn't sometimes be in the same room as they are, they shouldn't have anything to do with them and they say they are not welcome in the church or meeting place of that community," said Irving Hexham, a professor of religious studies at University of Calgary.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/religious-shunning-jehovahs-witness-1.3767074

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
31 Dec 21
1 edit

@galveston75 said
No disapearing here but will be out of town until Tuesday. You can verify this with Medullah as I told him this yesterday.
Calling themselves the Mother. That is equating themselves with God the Father, and saying they are the Mother of Jesus Christ. That is encouraging idolatry. It is a fatal practice, and there are smart members of the congregation who are concerned about that.

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
31 Dec 21

@galveston75 said
The JW's went to their deaths in the concentration camps alongside the Jews, not on the battlefield as did many alleged Christians trying to kill their fellow man.

In those camps the Jews who had to wear a yellow star, while the JW's wore a purple triangle. After the Jews they were probably the largest group to be killed by the Nazis, though in no way did their numbers match those of the reported millions of Jews that were exterminated. They are not a violent people - irritating maybe, violent definitely not.

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
31 Dec 21

@galveston75 said
It's true, I think there was talk of a meeting in Vegas without the wives ... 😆 😆 😆

Only joking, he did say that he was going to be away and we are going to attempt a bit of combat over the old black and white when he got back.

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
31 Dec 21

@Rajk999

That isn't the same as deliberately splitting up marriage mates.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
31 Dec 21

@medullah said
@Rajk999

That isn't the same as deliberately splitting up marriage mates.
Its is actually. Someone in the congregation does something which in the opinion of the elders is wrong. They are shunned and all the congregation is encouraged to shun them including family members. That is deliberately splitting up marriages and families. Sometimes the member shunned is actually right. He may disagree with some of the JWs false teachings.

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
31 Dec 21

@rajk999 said
Its is actually. Someone in the congregation does something which in the opinion of the elders is wrong. They are shunned and all the congregation is encouraged to shun them including family members. That is deliberately splitting up marriages and families. Sometimes the member shunned is actually right. He may disagree with some of the JWs false teachings.
It's not actually

So lets talk around adultery as the model

Lets suppose somebody in a marriage goes outside of it and confesses. The wronged partner always has the option to forgive (probably encouraged to). The sinner gets told how naughty they have been and life moves. Nobody else gets involved othe than elders and nobody gets told what has gone on. That is completely different and opposite to your assertion which is false.

Then we get into the situation where there has been concealment where for instance a guy goes to work and the wife has been shagging the postman for the last three years. The criteria is different.

(a) If she still wants the postman to look after her mailbox then she will get shown the door and will get shunned for sure by anyone in the religion including extended family, but i don't know how it would work with parents or children. So in this instance what you are saying is true.

(b) If the wife renounces the postman then the husband can forgive. Divorce is not encourged or automatic - it's their business. If the husband didn't want to forgive then I don't know the procedure other than there would be a divorce - you'd have to run that past Galveston.