"Babylon the Great"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
30 Dec 21

@medullah said
The groups accused of being a cult in the thread so far are the JW's; Mormons; and Recovery movement (I know nothing of them)

When divegeester used the term it appeared by his post to be defined (by him) as anyone not accepting Jesus as God (Jehovah to some) incarnate. I would say that my father had a lot to do with the Mormons at one stage (Elder Stephens was my hero as ...[text shortened]... (as most of us) has read the bible and come up with a different conclusion about several key points.
A cult is any religions group that has as its main focus the teachings of a man or group of men. In the case of sonship it Watchman Nee and Witness Lee. In the case of the JWs its Charles Russell and Watchtower org.

When you see a Christian using only the bible [the teachings of Christ and the Apostles] and not the writings and opinions of a man you know he is not in a cult.

Cults have other identifying characteristics. One of these is crushing all dissent, and sidelining perpetrators and their families. There are many more.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
30 Dec 21

@medullah said
I know, Honey would get her hands on it first ?
Indeed

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
30 Dec 21

@Rajk999

What I would say, is there is one thing that you can't take away from the JW's irrespective of how "difficult" some of their teachings are.

When Hitler was rounding up the Jews, and Christians were killing each other on the battlefield in WW2, the JWs went to their deaths with the Jews in their tens of thousands, rather than capitulate to the will of Hitler and kill fellow Christians or turn on the already persecuted Jews.

Quakers would not fight either. If the alleged Christians of the 30's and 40's had the same mentality as the Quakers and JWs there would have been no WW2 in Europe.

Remember this scripture at John 8:44

Disciples Literal Translation

You are of your father the devil. And you are wanting to do the desires of your father. That one was a murderer from the beginning, and was not standing in the truth, because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks the lie, he speaks from his own things, because he is a liar, and the father of it.

I don't think that the witnesses are a cult because they don't follow the crowd and kill at the will of politicians.

Personal opinion.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
30 Dec 21
2 edits

@Rajk999

We Were Wrong public announcement by Christian cult experts CRI.

The admission of the Christian Research Institute - CRI after several years in depth analysis and research of group previously identified by its former president as a cult - the local churches and Witness Lee were re-evaluated upon OUR request.

https://www.equip.org/article/we-were-wrong/

https://www.equip.org/christian-research-journal/we-were-wrong-2/

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
30 Dec 21

@rajk999 said

Cults have other identifying characteristics. One of these is crushing all dissent, and sidelining perpetrators and their families.
I think that that last point is very fair.

Which religions/denominations that you can name tolerate dissent?
Did Paul tolerate dissent?

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
30 Dec 21

@sonship

Son - you need to go to your nearest rum shop and get a triple

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
30 Dec 21

@sonship said
@Rajk999

We Were Wrong public announcement by Christian cult experts CRI.

The admission of the Christian Research Institute - CRI after several years in depth analysis and research of group previously identified by its former president as a cult - the local churches and Witness Lee were re-evaluated upon OUR request.

https://www. ...[text shortened]... quip.org/article/we-were-wrong/

https://www.equip.org/christian-research-journal/we-were-wrong-2/
Who is CRI and why should I care about their opinion. I base my opinion on your behaviour here and your posts and on what I have read about your cult.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
30 Dec 21

@medullah said
@sonship

Son - you need to go to your nearest rum shop and get a triple
He needs more than that

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
30 Dec 21

@medullah said
I think that that last point is very fair.

Which religions/denominations that you can name tolerate dissent?
Did Paul tolerate dissent?
Paul said the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the believing wife.

That is a million miles away from the JWs who have encouraged unbelieving spouses to leave the other, they have put parents against children and vicevesa.

They are an evil organisation

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
30 Dec 21
1 edit

@medullah said
@Rajk999

What I would say, is there is one thing that you can't take away from the JW's irrespective of how "difficult" some of their teachings are.

When Hitler was rounding up the Jews, and Christians were killing each other on the battlefield in WW2, the JWs went to their deaths with the Jews in their tens of thousands, rather than capitulate to the will of Hitler an ...[text shortened]... cult because they don't follow the crowd and kill at the will of politicians.

Personal opinion.
Not following the crowd is not proof of not being a cult, neither is refusing to fight in a war any big deal. Many religious groups have been conscientious objectors to war in the past.

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
30 Dec 21
1 edit

@Rajk999

Are you able to define a cult please?

I'm asking to understand your perspective a bit better.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
30 Dec 21
1 edit

@medullah said
@Rajk999

Any church congregation / believers that hold a man or group of men in such high regard that they do and believe what these men say regardless of what Christ said.

For me if a church holds what Paul said in higher regard that the teachings of Christ that is also a cult.

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
30 Dec 21

@Rajk999

I'm off to bed. Thanks once again for your input.

Friday ight is Kraken night so if I do come on expect my brain to be squidly didly

Have a good NYE 😛 😉 😀

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
31 Dec 21

@medullah said
@Rajk999

I'm off to bed. Thanks once again for your input.

Friday ight is Kraken night so if I do come on expect my brain to be squidly didly

Have a good NYE 😛 😉 😀
Nice. . you too. By the way, you know there is a whole bunch of spiced rums similar to the Kraken. One in particular which is good is the Captain Morgan Special Reserve Spiced Rum, from Puerto Rico. Good stuff.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
31 Dec 21
1 edit

@medullah said
@Rajk999

One very common thing with cults if secrecy. Usually they are very withdrawn on many levels because they usually have something to hide.
I've been a JW all my life. Never once have the doors been locked during the meetings. Our doors are open to anyone who walks in. Unfortunately with covid all our meetings are online. I hate that.
But again the doors are open to all.
Once a month all records of moneys that are donated for bills are explained out load for all to here. Any Witness can ask to see those at anytime.
As far as all the accusations he brings up like clock work have been explained every time. But he has too much hate to grasp anything explained to him. Oh well...
And the same old crud he brings up every time is at the beginning of the congregations getting organized back in the 1800's, still had some influence from their former religions ethics and practices still existed. Plus there were still many things not understood yet, so yes mistakes were made. Many at times. That is to be expected.
I wonder how Rajk would like his past brought up every time he post here?????????
And sorry he doesn't understand our stand on some issues. It is not RAJK we answer too. It is to our God Jehovah.....
If Jehovah says in the Bible to remove one who is breaking his laws, they are removed until they clearly change their ways. Many cannot understand that which is clearly explained in the Bible

Oh yes, it's very good.. Lol. "Captain Morgan Special Reserve Spiced Rum"