A perspective on abortion

A perspective on abortion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
19 Oct 18
1 edit

The post that was quoted here has been removed
You asked me about how-long-is-a-piece-of-string questions about things that are in the eye of the beholder like "How widespread"? "How much"? How "strong" something was. You asked about ill-defined "clamouring". You asked me if something was a "Big issue" here. What does "Big" mean exactly?

You said "I’m simply wondering whether legalizing abortion is a big issue there"; I can ask in return: "Is keeping abortion legal a big issue in the US?" You suggested that "it would seem illegal abortion is not much of an imposition (in Indonesia)".

How does one measure how "much of an imposition" something is? How much of an imposition would overturning Roe v Wade be on people in the US? You seriously think that the things you were asking me had "nothing to do with value judgments"?

F

Moves
19 Oct 18

Well if you believe it's "murder", then it's "murder", right? That's what you mean by "absolute morality" isn't it?

F

Moves
19 Oct 18

But, to your way of thinking, in each of those cases, the termination of the pregnancy would be "murder". That's what you would be "allowing" according to your reasoning.

V

Moves
19 Oct 18

V

Moves
19 Oct 18

F

Moves
19 Oct 18

"Not much of" something... "not a big" something... "not much of" something (again). Do you see how you are barking up the wrong tree with me? If you want to make value judgements, don't ask me to make them for you.

V

Moves
19 Oct 18

F

Moves
19 Oct 18

I am certainly not neglecting anything. They are all cases "murder", right? And you find them "justifiable".

V

Moves
19 Oct 18

V

Moves
19 Oct 18

F

Moves
19 Oct 18

No, I am not. I am not neglecting it. Not at all. I am asking about if and when you condone what you have called "murder".

F

Moves
19 Oct 18

What's a "big" issue? Isn't deciding whether an issue is "big" or "small", or "not much of" this or "not much of" that, aren't these questions seeking "value judgements"?

V

Moves
19 Oct 18

F

Moves
19 Oct 18

I support the women here in Indonesia who want to have rights that are similar to those that women have in places like the UK and the US and who perceive it as a big issue.

F

Moves
19 Oct 18

Is your condoning what you yourself have labelled "murder" an example of "absolute morality"?