A perspective on abortion

A perspective on abortion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
19 Oct 18

@suzianne said
The only 'crime' here seems to be mere non-attribution.
A friend of mine posted it on Facebook there was no reference for me to cite.

V

Moves
19 Oct 18

V

Moves
19 Oct 18

F

Moves
19 Oct 18

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I think I have absorbed and internalized my personal moral distaste for abortions from my Christian background.

I could not imagine ever having been party to an abortion in my marriage (aside from the exception of saving my wife's life). For me it's deeply personal and pertains to me having had children and to the relationship between me and my wife and who we are having created children.

I don't feel the need to see this deeply personal perspective turned into a law that is imposed on other people.

I am pretty contemptuous of behaviour that results in "unwanted" pregnancies.

And I am naturally concerned about the impact on the mindmaps of the man and woman involved, more especially the woman.

I have talked a couple of women out of having an abortion, and in both cases, they later were unequivocal about being happy that they had not gone through with it and I have met their children.

On another two occasions, the women involved ~ again, close friends/family ~ went ahead despite my contribution to their decision-making process, and once they'd made the decision I supported them fully and without reservation.

As for living in a secular society and being a supporter of women's rights ~ more especially women's rights as they would perceive and apply them [rather than men] ~ I think that the law as it stands [regarding viability, endangerment of the woman etc.] in the UK is probably a good compromise [my ignorance of the exact details of that law notwithstanding].

Moves
19 Oct 18
1 edit

I am pro life. But I think there are extreme cases where the mothers life is at risk and the chances of survival for the child are almost zero that I think aren’t as clear cut.

F

Moves
19 Oct 18

No. I don't agree. I think ~ for those wishing to terminate a pregnancy and in terms of the legal right to do so ~ viability outside the womb is the key to it ~ and not what Ronald Reagan said about what he knows and doesn't know.

V

Moves
19 Oct 18

F

Moves
19 Oct 18

@dj2becker said
A friend of mine posted it on Facebook there was no reference for me to cite.
You shouldn't have tried to pass it off as your own writing. You get the better part of 5,000 hits on Google for the exact wording.

V

Moves
19 Oct 18

V

Moves
19 Oct 18

F

Moves
19 Oct 18

Well, Ronald Reagan has had no bearing on me or the stance I take.

V

Moves
19 Oct 18

F

Moves
19 Oct 18

Well then, if Ronald Reagan were still alive, you'd agree with each other. Do you believe that he originated the reasoning?

V

Moves
19 Oct 18

F

Moves
19 Oct 18

It seems odd that you quoted a partisan political hack from U.S. retail politics rather than a scientist or a philosopher or a moral teacher/writer. What's Donald Trump's stated reason for opposing abortion?