1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Jun '22 13:00
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    YOU didn't prove anything, all you can do is post your scientist of the month club.
    Then you are claiming anyone who says different than you is lying?
    Facts have nothing to do with it? You have faith in something and that is all it is. You have no intention of being open minded, much less admit you are wrong about anything.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Jun '22 14:29
    @Metal-Brain
    When it is shown to be commercially viable I'll believe it, till then I'll put it in the same drawer as cold fusion. There is no such thing as a wave of something or other being able to transmit 90% of its energy to some place a thousand miles away. Even WIRES don't transmit that efficiently.
    ANY wave spreads out even waves sent by major radio astronomy dishes which can radar out millions of miles, the beam that does that still spreads out even if it is a tiny bit but the further you go out in space the more diffuse it gets.
    Anyone claiming different is from a different planet.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    25 Jun '22 22:411 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    When it is shown to be commercially viable I'll believe it, till then I'll put it in the same drawer as cold fusion. There is no such thing as a wave of something or other being able to transmit 90% of its energy to some place a thousand miles away. Even WIRES don't transmit that efficiently.
    ANY wave spreads out even waves sent by major radio astronomy dishes ...[text shortened]... you go out in space the more diffuse it gets.
    Anyone claiming different is from a different planet.
    Then why is Raytheon working on a surface wave radar? Tell them there is no such thing. It would seem it is militarily viable.

"ANY wave spreads out even waves sent by major radio astronomy dishes which can radar out millions of miles, the beam that does that still spreads out even if it is a tiny bit but the further you go out in space the more diffuse it gets."

Dude, you are clueless, they are called surface waves for a reason. They hug the surface and do NOT diffuse as you have suggested. Look up "surface waves". You clearly do not understand what they are.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jun '22 01:211 edit
    @Metal-Brain
    There are waves called Solitrons that can hold themselves together but I wait till something comes out of this tech we can see for ourselves.
    Just because someone writes up a device doesn't automatically mean it is true.
    Think Cold Fusion. I used to work with surface waves all the time and I know what they do.
    What really ticks you off is not whether these waves work or not but instead you are ticked because we get skeptical till it is shown for real to the world.
    THAT is what pissses you off.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '22 01:22
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    There are waves called Solitrons that can hold themselves together but I wait till something comes out of this tech we can see for ourselves.
    Just because someone writes up a device doesn't automatically mean it is true.
    Think Cold Fusion. I used to work with surface waves all the time and I know what they do.
    Yeah, Raytheon just likes to waste money. Right.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jun '22 01:231 edit
    @Metal-Brain
    Just like the cold fusion bunch, you see anything come of that? 90% of most research is wasted money but the research is not, a negative is a good thing for science, just as good as a positive because it tells scientists they are barking up the wrong tree, and sometimes a hundred years later even that proves false so I will wait and see. BTW you never mentioned how fast these waves go.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '22 01:25
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Just like the cold fusion bunch, you see anything come of that?
    Raytheon worked on cold fusion?
    Make up some more irrelevancies. I find it amusing.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jun '22 14:06
    @Metal-Brain
    Have fun with your alleged superiority. I actually have to work for a living.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 03:221 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Have fun with your alleged superiority. I actually have to work for a living.
    You cannot retire at your age? You alleged my superiority. I had nothing to do with that. Thanks for the flattery though.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 19:48
    @Metal-Brain
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenneck_wave

This is not going to be a cure all technology.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '22 22:19
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenneck_wave

This is not going to be a cure all technology.
    Please explain why.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jul '22 09:27
    @Metal-Brain
    For one thing, they have a hard time getting them focused. It is not like an antenna that can be designed to have 40 or 50 DB of gain.
    Earth is not a very good medium for any such wave using the interface between the Earth and the atmosphere as the conductor medium.
    I have serious doubts you can get serious energy transferred that way, and I mean gigawatts not a few kilowatts.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '22 10:36
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    For one thing, they have a hard time getting them focused. It is not like an antenna that can be designed to have 40 or 50 DB of gain.
    Earth is not a very good medium for any such wave using the interface between the Earth and the atmosphere as the conductor medium.
    I have serious doubts you can get serious energy transferred that way, and I mean gigawatts not a few kilowatts.
    Once again, I refer you to Raytheon and their surface wave radar system.
    Why do you keep forgetting that?
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jul '22 17:43
    @Metal-Brain
    I would like to see what they do to focus the waves for long distance use.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '22 00:07
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    I would like to see what they do to focus the waves for long distance use.
    From the link below:

"Meanwhile, surface waves are also proving valuable for long-range radar, like the new High Frequency Surface Wave Radar (HFSWR) that the defense contractor Raytheon is developing. Some of the first radar operated via surface waves, and the U.S. Navy used surface-wave radar in the 1950s, but the technology ultimately lost out to other types—in particular, the sky-wave radar in which the signal is reflected back from the ionosphere.

However, normal radar has a serious limitation: It operates within line of sight, which makes objects close to the surface difficult to spot. This is why airborne radar was developed, to prevent intruders from slipping in below the radar. But maintaining continuous radar coverage from the air is expensive and requires a lot of manpower.

Surface-wave radar provides an alternative, because the signal clings to the sea surface and follows the curvature of the earth. Tony Ponsford, technical director for HF Radar at Raytheon Canada, says that that latest version can track ships at about 230 miles from land. (The surface waves work best over a conductive surface, so this type of radar has a much longer range over salt water than over fresh water or land.) Raytheon is building the device for the Canadian government to help manage the country's exclusive economic zone, a region that extends to that distance out to sea. It will undergo operational evaluation later this year.

Raytheon's HFSWR incorporates a number of features to operate safely in the crowded high-frequency band. If it detects another signal on the same wavelength, such as a radio transmission, it automatically switches to a different wavelength. Raytheon says its patented set of algorithms removes clutter so shipping can be picked out more easily."

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/a8778/skimming-the-surface-the-return-of-teslas-surface-waves-15322250/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree