The Webb Telescope

The Webb Telescope

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
02 Feb 22

@Liljo
Reminds me of a small episode when I was 14, introduced to new neighbors and they had a cat. So what's its name? We call him DAMMIT.

? We call him home, we go HERE DAMMIT, DAMMIT COME HOME....

bunny knight

planet Earth

Moves
02 Feb 22

@sonhouse said
@wildgrass
You mean anthropomorphizing it? Make it into the newest Puppet?
I would suggest not using the word 'puppet'. If Webby finds out, he might become less than cooperative or even angry.

bunny knight

planet Earth

Moves
02 Feb 22

@liljo said
https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html

For anyone interested in how the "Webby" is doing, here's the link. It is under controlled cooling, and will be for a good while yet.
Yes, that's a good website.

I only wish they had a real-time video link so that we could continuously keep an eye on Webby from at least 2 different angles.

Moves
02 Feb 22

@bunnyknight said
Yes, that's a good website.

I only wish they had a real-time video link so that we could continuously keep an eye on Webby from at least 2 different angles.
You... really don't understand how far away this thing is, do you?

Moves
02 Feb 22

@shallow-blue said
I get the feeling B-Knight understands very fully. He (or she) is just having some fun, that's all.

At any rate, they have recently added five more points of instrument temp readings. The Webb is cooling right on schedule, and being controlled in its cooldown by "carefully placed" electric strips.

bunny knight

planet Earth

Moves
02 Feb 22

@shallow-blue said
Let's see... according to professor Elmer Shmogarpuff it's 729 light years away which would make the video delay about 729 years, and thus unpractical. But I think it's much less than 729 light years away and the professor is wrong.

w

Moves
02 Feb 22

@sonhouse said
@wildgrass
You mean anthropomorphizing it? Make it into the newest Puppet?
maybe wasn't worded well. I meant the idea of a telescope feeling lonely.

w

Moves
02 Feb 22

@bunnyknight said
Let's see... according to professor Elmer Shmogarpuff it's 729 light years away which would make the video delay about 729 years, and thus unpractical. But I think it's much less than 729 light years away and the professor is wrong.
THe light now reaching us from things that are that far away was released when the Mongols controlled most of the world.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Feb 22

@wildgrass
And that is RECENT history, astronomy peers into deep past time.
Now they see stuff around 12 BILLION light years away.

Close to the edge of visible light.

Moves
09 Feb 22

Right now, it appears the Webb only has a little ways to go to reach full operational temperature. The next steps to full operation are summed up in this, from NASA:

"Ongoing cooldown and eventual instrument turn-on, testing and calibration occur. Telescope mirror alignment and calibration also begin as temperatures fall within range and instruments are enabled."

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
09 Feb 22

@Liljo
They have already used some of the mirrors to capture first light.
Each one of the 18 hexagonal shaped mirrors are equal to a 48 in telescope so even one will produce science.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
11 Feb 22

For all who are interested in first pictures:

in about half an hour there should be some here:

https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/

Moves
11 Feb 22
1 edit

@Ponderable
Admittedly, I went to the site you mentioned quickly, then hurriedly read the latest blog dated Feb 10...Where do you get the info to see "first images"? I figured the first images to be made public were still a few, to maybe several, months away...

However: Upon further investigation, I found THIS site!
https://www.space.com/[WORD TOO LONG].

Moves
11 Feb 22
1 edit

Well, it has imaged it's first star. Each of the 18 mirror segments imaged it. They will use that to align with so there will be one image of the star soon!
The alignment process is expected to take 3 months.

Contentious

Moves
11 Feb 22

@liljo said
Well, it has imaged it's first star. Each of the 18 mirror segments imaged it. They will use that to align with so there will be one image of the star soon!
The alignment process is expected to take 3 months.
I was just wondering when we were going to see a picture or two...

3 months? 🤷