How old is the universe?

How old is the universe?

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Apr 23

@suzianne said
For the love of God, stop it, you're killing me.
Nice to be on the same page for once.

The comedy page 🤭

MB

Moves
05 Apr 23

@divegeester said
There is some evidence, which the astronomical science community are exploring.

What’s your point here?
Great. Then you can provide me with that evidence. Right?

MB

Moves
05 Apr 23

@soothfast said
When you get flustered, which is often, your reading comprehension gets even worse than usual.

I've not said one thing in this thread about dark matter, dark energy, or modified Newtonian dynamics. You're so preoccupied trying to burnish your self-image as a freethinking, undiscovered 21st-century Leonardo da Vinci that you miss things that an 8-year-old would notice.
...[text shortened]... 's situated in a different spacetime continuum. Cosmologists continue theorizing and experimenting.
I never get flustered. You must be projecting your flustering onto me. I suggest you be honest with yourself.

You said I was being a contrarian as if that is a bad thing. What specifically am I doing to be a contrarian in your mind? If I am wrong about anything at all, what is it that I am wrong about? In all honesty I nave no idea what you are taking issue with. As far as I can tell you just want to crap over anything I say, right or wrong.

MB

Moves
06 Apr 23

@suzianne said
Ho-leeeeeee crap!

Every time I read something you've written in these forums (especially in the Science Forum), I can feel IQ points wafting away from me on a cloud. You continually post some of the most ridiculously inane stuff I've ever read. I don't know if you somehow think you're the smartest one in the room, but you have got to be one of the dumbest people I've ever heard from. And please understand, I lived almost a year in rural North Carolina.
Does mindless trolling make you feel smart?
You don't seem to offer anything to this forum at all. Nothing intellectual, just ad homenum attacks heavily laced with insults. Do you think nobody here has noticed?

I think you have a lot of animosity toward the truth and anyone who promotes the truth. You are letting your political bias spill over into science. I say that because nothing about this thread has anything to do with politics at all, yet you want to disagree with me about non partisan issues as well.

What makes you want me to be wrong about everything? Are you disagreeing with me just for the sake of disagreeing? Do you hate me so much you cannot accept I am right about anything? If a broken clock can be right twice a day you want me to be more wrong than a broken clock. You will not be happy unless you can convince everyone here that I am wrong 100% of the time.

You have "broken clock syndrome". Nobody is wrong 100% of the time. Why do you want to believe people you hate can never be right about anything?

Planet Rain

Moves
06 Apr 23

@metal-brain said
I never get flustered. You must be projecting your flustering onto me. I suggest you be honest with yourself.

You said I was being a contrarian as if that is a bad thing. What specifically am I doing to be a contrarian in your mind? If I am wrong about anything at all, what is it that I am wrong about? In all honesty I nave no idea what you are taking issue with. As far as I can tell you just want to crap over anything I say, right or wrong.
I don't have to reach far here. You were wrong when you said all this to me:
The stars at the edge of the galaxy should take a lot longer to make a full orbit around the center of the galaxy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_rotation_curve

I think your problem is that you do not notice contradictions. I do and I am not the only one. Do you really think I was the first person to bring this up? You are just behind the times is all. People did not come up with a whole new field of study called MoND because there was not a big problem with dark matter. Do you seriously think they are all crazy people on a wild goose chase?

https://scitechdaily.com/dark-matter-may-not-exist-these-physicists-favor-of-a-new-theory-of-gravity/

Are you claiming that every single person working on MoND theory is "not smart"?

I never claimed anything of the sort. I've brought up MOND theory years ago on this very forum. God knows what you were tripping on during all that gibbering.

Also wrong: your claim months ago that I was lying when I said I didn't think the 2020 election was stolen.

There are a couple dozen other things I could name off the top of my head, but I have better things to do.

And I could say much more, but unlike you, I do have a life outside these forums.

MB

Moves
06 Apr 23

@soothfast said
I don't have to reach far here. You were wrong when you said all this to me:
[quote]The stars at the edge of the galaxy should take a lot longer to make a full orbit around the center of the galaxy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_rotation_curve

I think your problem is that you do not notice contradictions. I do and I am not the only one. Do you really think I ...[text shortened]... r things to do.

And I could say much more, but unlike you, I do have a life outside these forums.
I don't recall you saying anything about MoND theory long ago. I think you are making it up. You didn't say what I was wrong about in the quote from me that you posted.

"Also wrong: your claim months ago that I was lying when I said I didn't think the 2020 election was stolen."

I don't even remember saying that, but what if I did? Like suzi you are letting unrelated political crap affect your judgment here that has nothing to do with politics. Apparently you have "broken clock syndrome" as well. You want me to be more wrong than a broken clock. Saying it ain't proving it.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
06 Apr 23

@metal-brain said
Great. Then you can provide me with that evidence. Right?
Just read up its out there in everything from scientific journals to YouTube summaries.

You do understand the nature of evidence within scientific methodology don’t you. A piece of evidence may support a theory, lots of evidence, will will make the theory probable… etc etc.

MB

Moves
06 Apr 23

@divegeester said
Just read up its out there in everything from scientific journals to YouTube summaries.

You do understand the nature of evidence within scientific methodology don’t you. A piece of evidence may support a theory, lots of evidence, will will make the theory probable… etc etc.
There is no evidence. That is why it is a theory.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
06 Apr 23

@metal-brain said
There is no evidence. That is why it is a theory.
You don’t seem to understand how scientific method works.

Planet Rain

Moves
06 Apr 23
1 edit

@metal-brain said
I don't recall you saying anything about MoND theory long ago. I think you are making it up. You didn't say what I was wrong about in the quote from me that you posted.

"Also wrong: your claim months ago that I was lying when I said I didn't think the 2020 election was stolen."

I don't even remember saying that, but what if I did? Like suzi you are letting unrelate ...[text shortened]... ock syndrome" as well. You want me to be more wrong than a broken clock. Saying it ain't proving it.
This is very, very interesting.

This is because I know my own mind better than anyone else does, and you are here exhibiting precisely how you think in relation to objective truths that I happen to know are truths.

And herein I can confidently identify two consequential facts:

1) Your continual charge that people cling to false narratives (e.g. scientists who believe dark matter exists) for egotistical reasons is, in fact, a projection of your own psychology onto others. You've got an ego the size of the galactic core, and cannot admit when you're wrong about something. You "don't recall" my talking about MOND theory on this forum years ago, and so your first impulse (only impulse, really) is to assume I am lying. Even more laughably, you cannot even perceive that your post to me about MOND theory is off target for the simple reason that I never made any reference to MOND in this thread before your post. Since the evidence of your mistake here cannot be dismissed as my being a liar, so you simply refuse to even see the mistake. Another ego-defense mechanism. Your neurons must be shaped like corkscrews.

2) More generally, you continually charge others for doing the very same thing as yourself. "Unrelated political crap"...? You inject unrelated political crap into this science forum time and again. You wanted examples of when you were wrong, and I gave you one about the 2020 election. Now you dismiss it with a two-pronged ego-defense: The "I don't remember" pirouette, followed by the "It's irrelevant anyway" somersault.

I'll be chuckling all weekend over this one. Thank you.

Planet Rain

Moves
06 Apr 23
2 edits

@divegeester said
You don’t seem to understand how scientific method works.
Like a Creationist denying the theory of evolution, he does not seem to understand even what the definition of "theory" is. He's mixing it up with "hypothesis" or "wild-assed guess."

In Mental Brain Land I guess quantum mechanics is all crap, because it's part of what's known as "Quantum Theory."

EDIT: I eagerly wait to see which ego-defense mechanism MB will employ to wiggle out of this faux pas.

MB

Moves
06 Apr 23
1 edit

@soothfast said
This is very, very interesting.

This is because I know my own mind better than anyone else does, and you are here exhibiting precisely how you think in relation to objective truths that I happen to know are truths.

And herein I can confidently identify two consequential facts:

1) Your continual charge that people cling to false narratives (e.g. scientists who be ...[text shortened]... e "It's irrelevant anyway" somersault.

I'll be chuckling all weekend over this one. Thank you.
"You've got an ego the size of the galactic core"

I will take that as a compliment.

You wrote all of that crap without proving I am wrong about anything.
You are laughable. If you have an open mind about MoND theory then why are you claiming I am wrong? As far as I can tell you are in agreement with me.

What specifically was I wrong about? 🙂

Planet Rain

Moves
07 Apr 23

@metal-brain said
"You've got an ego the size of the galactic core"

I will take that as a compliment.

You wrote all of that crap without proving I am wrong about anything.
You are laughable. If you have an open mind about MoND theory then why are you claiming I am wrong? As far as I can tell you are in agreement with me.

What specifically was I wrong about? 🙂
Aw, you poor bastard.

I pity you. I really do. You are hopelessly stunted.

Have a good one.

mlb62

Moves
07 Apr 23

13.8 billion yrs old.

MB

Moves
07 Apr 23

@mlb62 said
13.8 billion yrs old.
Was that determined by finding galaxies 13.8 billion light years away?