Electron spin

Electron spin

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 Jan 20

@Metal-Brain
http://geocalc.clas.asu.edu/pdf/Spin&uncert.pdf

Uncertainty principle affects spin as well as directions and velocity of electrons.

K

Germany

Moves
07 Jan 20

@metal-brain said
The uncertainty principal has to do with a path an electron takes, not it's spin. Trolling will not change that.
That's entirely wrong, I'm afraid. Perhaps you ought to reconsider your stance about obtaining basic knowledge about a topic before commenting on it? That goes for topics beyond physics of course.

h

Moves
07 Jan 20

@kazetnagorra said
That's entirely wrong, I'm afraid.
I have a theory that in this case he has somehow confused here the concept of 'position' with 'path it takes', which is pretty typical of the kind of total confusion and misunderstanding he shows about just about every concept of science that shows he has no idea what he is talking about. And yet, weirdly, he apparently still delusionally thinks he knows what he is talking about!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 Jan 20
1 edit

@KazetNagorra
From the above paper:
"The longstanding debate and discussion about the interpretation of quantum mechanics
has been strongly focused on the meaning of Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Relations for the
position and momentum of an electron. However, the various interpretations which have
been proposed and widely accepted all suffer from a serious drawback: they are limited to
the Schr¨odinger theory and fail to take into account either spin or relativity. We shall see,
in fact, that spin cannot be ignored."

This is what I read. Am I reading this wrong?
If there is real spin, wouldn't there be a subsequent angular momentum? And if so,
why would uncertainty no fit in here also?

h

Moves
07 Jan 20
2 edits

@sonhouse said
@KazetNagorra
From the above paper:
"The longstanding debate and discussion about the interpretation of quantum mechanics
has been strongly focused on the meaning of Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Relations for the
position and momentum of an electron. However, the various interpretations which have
been proposed and widely accepted all suffer from a serious drawback: they ar ...[text shortened]... dn't there be a subsequent angular momentum? And if so,
why would uncertainty no fit in here also?
I could be wrong but it's my understanding that an electron has 'spin' and also DOES have angular momentum but without actually rotating. Don't know if that helps.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 Jan 20
2 edits

@humy
That is one weird concept. So it would be similar to a photon which has zero mass but still able to impart momentum upon hitting a surface? Not sure if those two concepts are comparable though.
But if it has angular momentum wouldn't that imply a connection to the uncertainty principle?

Spin without rotating, more like a field, like a magnetic field? A magnetic moment?

MB

Moves
07 Jan 20

@humy said
I have a theory that in this case he has somehow confused here the concept of 'position' with 'path it takes', which is pretty typical of the kind of total confusion and misunderstanding he shows about just about every concept of science that shows he has no idea what he is talking about. And yet, weirdly, he apparently still delusionally thinks he knows what he is talking about!
Spin doesn't have a path or position. That is my whole point! You are such a moron!

MB

Moves
07 Jan 20

@sonhouse said
@Metal-Brain
http://geocalc.clas.asu.edu/pdf/Spin&uncert.pdf

Uncertainty principle affects spin as well as directions and velocity of electrons.
That article does not say that.

MB

Moves
07 Jan 20

@kazetnagorra said
That's entirely wrong, I'm afraid. Perhaps you ought to reconsider your stance about obtaining basic knowledge about a topic before commenting on it? That goes for topics beyond physics of course.
What is your source of information? humy now claims spin is not rotation. Is that the direction you all are going to? Spin isn't spin?

Maybe we should all agree what spin is before we proceed. sonhouse seems to think orbit is spin and humy thinks spin is not spin so maybe he thinks the same thing as sonhouse.

Who knows what you think spin is. Maybe you are confusing orbit with spin as well. Define spin. We all need to know we are all on the same page.

K

Germany

Moves
07 Jan 20

@metal-brain said
What is your source of information? humy now claims spin is not rotation. Is that the direction you all are going to? Spin isn't spin?

Maybe we should all agree what spin is before we proceed. sonhouse seems to think orbit is spin and humy thinks spin is not spin so maybe he thinks the same thing as sonhouse.

Who knows what you think spin is. Maybe you are confusing orbit with spin as well. Define spin. We all need to know we are all on the same page.
Try reading this page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(physics)

h

Moves
07 Jan 20
5 edits

@metal-brain said
humy now claims spin is not rotation.
Let me guess; Your new moronic straw man will now be that I am claiming all spinning objects, including spinning tops, don't rotate. Just to be clear to preempt that moronicity; that's not what I claimed.

By the way, KazetNagorra , along with nearly everyone else here excluding yourself, doesn't necessarily agree with litrally every single thing I ever say and probably doesn't and it wouldn't matter if he disagrees, which he may well do because I am uncertain I have got that particular thing correct (which is why I said "I could be wrong..." because I might be ), with that assertion of mine but you seem to have this weird paranoid dilution that we agree with each other here about everything just to spite you here when in reality we generally agree with each other on most (not all) things here because we just look at what the science says and thus the only way we can come to disagree is if one of us misinterprets what the science says which can and sometimes does happen but not very often which is why we generally agree with each other on most (not all) things here.

MB

Moves
07 Jan 20

@kazetnagorra said
Try reading this page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(physics)
Try posting an excerpt. If you had anything of relevance you would have already done that. I know your MO.

MB

Moves
07 Jan 20

@humy said
Let me guess; Your new moronic straw man will now be that I am claiming all spinning objects, including spinning tops, don't rotate. Just to be clear; that's not what I claim.

By the way, KazetNagorra , along with nearly everyone else here excluding yourself, doesn't necessarily agree with litrally every single thing I ever say and probably doesn't and it wouldn't matter if h ...[text shortened]... en but not very often which is why we generally agree with each other on most (not all) things here.
What do you claim?
Try being literal this time. Science demands it.

K

Germany

Moves
07 Jan 20

@metal-brain said
Try posting an excerpt. If you had anything of relevance you would have already done that. I know your MO.
Why don't you start reading until you hit the first thing that you don't understand, post it here and I'll be happy to explain.

MB

Moves
07 Jan 20

@kazetnagorra said
Why don't you start reading until you hit the first thing that you don't understand, post it here and I'll be happy to explain.
In other words, you are incapable of explaining what we were talking about and you choose to be evasive. Noted.