1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '20 15:42
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    You have no idea of what you are talking about. You are spouting crap like you think you are some kind of expert Like I said, you are out to prove yourself smarter than the last three hundred years of genius. Good luck with that.
    You are either incredibly dishonest or incredibly stupid. Can you see where a single photon is going with the naked eye? Before man existed there was no observer. Did the laws of physics change just because we started observing? Get real!
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Jan '20 16:16
    @Metal-Brain
    Wow you really are ignorant of science. The observer doesn't even have to be conscious. it is the MEASURING that effects the outcome regardless if it is observed by a MOLLUSK or a rock.
    You really need to take physics 101.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '20 16:28
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    Wow you really are ignorant of science. The observer doesn't even have to be conscious. it is the MEASURING that effects the outcome regardless if it is observed by a MOLLUSK or a rock.
    You really need to take physics 101.
    How is it measured? You need an interaction to measure it and that affects the outcome. If you don't have to be conscious you are not an observer, the measurement method is.

Your mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    03 Jan '20 17:43
    @metal-brain said
    So the spin of a neutron star has no meaningful velocity? That doesn't make sense. Why all this talk about how neutron stars eject gold and other precious metals. Without high velocity spin of that neutron star after collision how did those rare metals escape the gravity?
    I read that some neutron stars can be bigger than they should just because of high velocity spin. How fast can a neutron star spin? Pretty darn fast!
    A neutron star can spin rapidly, but that kind of spin is not the same as an electron's intrinsic spin.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Jan '20 17:53
    @KazetNagorra
    He is making the mistake of thinking electrons spin around the nucleus like planets around a sun, a nice little elliptical orbit. Of course we know it is nothing like that but hey, Metal brain is an expert, he knows it all.
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 16:23
    @kazetnagorra said
    A neutron star can spin rapidly, but that kind of spin is not the same as an electron's intrinsic spin.
    Why?
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 16:25
    @sonhouse said
    @KazetNagorra
    He is making the mistake of thinking electrons spin around the nucleus like planets around a sun, a nice little elliptical orbit. Of course we know it is nothing like that but hey, Metal brain is an expert, he knows it all.
    Nope. I know the difference between orbit and spin.
    I don't make careless mistakes like you do. Stop projecting your faults onto me.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 17:54
    @Metal-Brain
    You just answered Kaz with the question WHY so it seems you do NOT know the difference between either a spinning star or planets orbiting a star and electrons going around a nucleus. So explain it to us duffs so we will understand too.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 21:50
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    You just answered Kaz with the question WHY so it seems you do NOT know the difference between either a spinning star or planets orbiting a star and electrons going around a nucleus. So explain it to us duffs so we will understand too.
    I am NOT talking about orbit and I never was. If you do not understand what spin is go look it up. I was always talking about spin and I am still talking about spin. The title of this thread has the word spin in it idiot!

I asked kazet the question, not you. All you want to do is troll. It is all you do. You make little contribution to this forum other than obstruct any idea (or even a mere question) of someone that proved you wrong too many times because you can't stop trolling. If having your ego bruised is so darn bad why do you keep coming back for more?
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 22:30
    @Metal-Brain
    You don't seem to understand electrons don't spin in nice little planes like a top. Till you understand that there is no need to go further.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '20 23:19
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    You don't seem to understand electrons don't spin in nice little planes like a top. Till you understand that there is no need to go further.
    I never said electrons spin in nice little planes like a top. Are you done making up crap now?
  12. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    05 Jan '20 08:154 edits
    @metal-brain said
    I never said electrons spin in nice little planes like a top.
    Then why do you claim electrons may spin "over the speed of light" thus demonstrating to all of us who understand the quantum physics of this you clearly don't understand in what way electrons spin?

If you knew the first thing about REAL quantum physics instead of the crap you keep making up, you would know there is no meaningful definable 'speed' of an electron's spin!

The 'spin' is property of electrons we can measure by the way they interact with magnetic fields, but it doesn't have any more intuitive analogy to spinning objects we're familiar with. Thus, by you claiming electrons may spin 'over the speed of light' c, because c is a speed, you clearly showed that you are thinking as if "electrons spin in nice little planes like a top" even if you didn't explicitly say it.
    Learn REAL science before making claims about it.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '20 13:16
    @humy said
    Then why do you claim electrons may spin "over the speed of light" thus demonstrating to all of us who understand the quantum physics of this you clearly don't understand in what way electrons spin?

If you knew the first thing about REAL quantum physics instead of the crap you keep making up, you would know there is no meaningful definable 'speed' of an electron's spin!

T ...[text shortened]... like a top" even if you didn't explicitly say it.
    Learn REAL science before making claims about it.
    "Then why do you claim electrons may spin "over the speed of light"

Why do you think I claimed that? Do you know the difference between an assertion and a question?
  14. Germany
    Moves
    05 Jan '20 14:31
    @metal-brain said
    Why?
    I'm not sure how best to answer such a general question other than to suggest you look up what intrinsic spin is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(physics)
  15. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    05 Jan '20 14:581 edit
    @metal-brain said
    "Then why do you claim electrons may spin "over the speed of light"

Why do you think I claimed that?
    You IMPLIED the claim.

First you said in the question in your OP;

"Goudsmit and Uhlenbeck discovered not only that electrons were orthorotating, but also that they were spinning at 1.37 times the speed of light. "

Which implies you took this nonsense claim with some credence else you wouldn't bother mentioning it.

Then you asked the question in your OP;

"Do electrons spin faster than the speed of light?"

which obviously implies you thought it possible that they may because you obviously didn't know they don't have spin speed else you wouldn't have asked such a silly question because it would be a very silly question if you already knew they had no spin speed.

Then you get angry and offensive with various people here when they point out why it cannot spin over the speed of light because it has no spin speed; Which shows you didn't ask the OP question because you wanted to learn or know but rather you were and still are just trolling as usual.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree