1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '20 18:13
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    EVERY atom from the top of the periodic table to the bottom has magnetic moment, some more than others but they ALL have some magnetic field.
    First it is atomic magnet and now magnetic moment again. Why are you using two different terms for the same thing? Are you going to say wave function next?
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 01:22
    @humy said
    Just look up 'atomic' in the common English dictionary and it world say/imply "adjective
    "relating to an atom or atoms."
    "the nature of matter at the atomic level"
    Chemistry
    "(of a substance) consisting of uncombined atoms rather than molecules."

Therefore "atomic magnet" means an atom that is acting like a magnet.

The thing is, that was just pl ...[text shortened]... osed to a technical term.
    So if you cannot even understand that then you will never understand it.
    I meant atomic more in the sense of indivisibility rather than an atom as such. I was imagining the idealised case of a current loop of arbitrarily small radius.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 08:511 edit
    @deepthought said
    I meant atomic more in the sense of indivisibility rather than an atom as such. I was imagining the idealised case of a current loop of arbitrarily small radius.
    What is spinning if anything at all? How do you know it is spinning?

You have digressed away from spin to magnets. Perhaps you should try explaining magnetism is my other thread since you cannot stay away from it here.

Does electron spin cause magnetism or does magnetism cause electron spin? You cannot have it both ways.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 15:35
    @metal-brain said
    What is spinning if anything at all? How do you know it is spinning?

You have digressed away from spin to magnets. Perhaps you should try explaining magnetism is my other thread since you cannot stay away from it here.

Does electron spin cause magnetism or does magnetism cause electron spin? You cannot have it both ways.
    This is like the old question about whether a tree falling down in the woods makes any sound. We have theories about things outside our direct sensory experience, which are based on our experience of the world. We know that angular momentum is conserved. When a metal rod is placed in a magnetic field it starts to rotate, this is called the Einstein-de Haas effect [1]. Because the magnetic moments of the electrons line up with the external field and the magnetic moment vector has the same direction as the spin vector the total angular momentum of the iron bar changes and there is a measurable torque. This demonstrates the connection between intrinsic spin and angular momentum.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein-de_Haas_effect
  5. Germany
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 20:01
    @deepthought said
    This is like the old question about whether a tree falling down in the woods makes any sound. We have theories about things outside our direct sensory experience, which are based on our experience of the world. We know that angular momentum is conserved. When a metal rod is placed in a magnetic field it starts to rotate, this is called the Einstein-de Haas effect [1]. ...[text shortened]... en intrinsic spin and angular momentum.

So what you're saying is that Einstein is a hare??????
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Feb '20 22:30
    @KazetNagorra

Hare hare, why do you say that?
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '20 00:06
    @deepthought said
    This is like the old question about whether a tree falling down in the woods makes any sound. We have theories about things outside our direct sensory experience, which are based on our experience of the world. We know that angular momentum is conserved. When a metal rod is placed in a magnetic field it starts to rotate, this is called the Einstein-de Haas effect [1]. ...[text shortened]... en intrinsic spin and angular momentum.

This is NOT like the old question about whether a tree falling down in the woods makes any sound. Stop making silly comparisons in a vain effort to digress and avoid answering valid questions.
    You digressed so much into multiple jargon terms you have reversed your cause and effect. Explain yourself.

Does electron spin cause magnetism or does magnetism cause electron spin? You cannot have it both ways. FAIL!
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Feb '20 18:53
    @Metal-Brain
    That's rich. Telling a Phd physicist fail? Where is your Phd to back that up?
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 Feb '20 10:08
    @sonhouse said
    @Metal-Brain
    That's rich. Telling a Phd physicist fail? Where is your Phd to back that up?
    Does electron spin cause magnetism or does magnetism cause electron spin?

He cannot have it both ways. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. He went from one cause and effect to the opposite. He digressed into failure. That is evident.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    22 Feb '20 11:04
    @sonhouse said
    @KazetNagorra

Hare hare, why do you say that?
    "De Haas" means "the Hare."

I was just mocking MetalBrain's non sequitur-style questions.
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    22 Feb '20 17:54
    @metal-brain said
    This is NOT like the old question about whether a tree falling down in the woods makes any sound. Stop making silly comparisons in a vain effort to digress and avoid answering valid questions.
    You digressed so much into multiple jargon terms you have reversed your cause and effect. Explain yourself.

Does electron spin cause magnetism or does magnetism cause electron spin? You cannot have it both ways. FAIL!
    Your post contained several questions I answered the first one about how we know it's spinning. As far as which causes which the chain of explanation is from charge and spin to the presence of a magnetic moment.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '20 02:28
    @deepthought said
    Your post contained several questions I answered the first one about how we know it's spinning. As far as which causes which the chain of explanation is from charge and spin to the presence of a magnetic moment.
    I asked what was spinning, not just how we know "it" is spinning. You have not even told me what "it" is.

Does spin cause magnetism or does magnetism cause spin? Which is it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree