Electron spin

Electron spin

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h

Moves
10 Feb 20

@metal-brain said
There isn't even a wikipedia page about it.
You are a liar!
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nanobeam

K

Germany

Moves
10 Feb 20

@metal-brain said
That is your psychological projection.

You do not know what one is yourself. You are just hopping from one jargon term to another endlessly to pretend you understand what you clearly do not.
Haha, yeah I just keep using complicated, arcane jargon like "magnetic fields," when everyone knows the Joe-the-Plumber term for that is... what?

Are you for real? You have seen magnets before, right?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
11 Feb 20

@KazetNagorra

They might be using magnetic bracelets at his rest home so he doesn't hurt himself.....

MB

Moves
11 Feb 20
1 edit

@kazetnagorra said
Haha, yeah I just keep using complicated, arcane jargon like "magnetic fields," when everyone knows the Joe-the-Plumber term for that is... what?

Are you for real? You have seen magnets before, right?
We were talking about spin, not magnetic fields.

Why did you change the subject? Is that how to explain things?
You said spin could be measured and now you are saying it is magnetism that is being measured.

Admit spin is not being measured. Magnetism is not spin.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
11 Feb 20

@metal-brain said

Why did you change the subject? Is that how to explain things?
You said spin could be measured and now you are saying it is magnetism that is being measured.

Admit spin is not being measured. Magnetism is not spin.
Because the electron is charged and it has spin it has a magnetic moment. The magnetic moment is measured in the experiment, the spin is inferred from the presence of the magnetic moment.

h

Moves
11 Feb 20
4 edits

@metal-brain said
The two are of exactly the same subject matter, idiot.
The magnetic moment of an electron is how its spin is both defined and detected, idiot. We already told you this MANY times.
The value of the electron magnetic moment is approximately −9.284764×10−24 J/T. The electron magnetic moment has been measured to an accuracy of 7.6 parts in 10^13 so we know it exists and thus electrons have spin.

K

Germany

Moves
11 Feb 20

@humy said
The two are of exactly the same subject matter, idiot.
The magnetic moment of an electron is how its spin is both defined and detected, idiot. We already told you this MANY times.
The value of the electron magnetic moment is approximately −9.284764×10−24 J/T. The electron magnetic moment has been measured to an accuracy of 7.6 parts in 10^13 so we know it exists and thus electrons have spin.
To confirm spin, you also have to show that it is quantized. This is what the Stern-Gerlach experiment does (any many other experiments in different settings).

MB

Moves
14 Feb 20
2 edits

@deepthought said
Because the electron is charged and it has spin it has a magnetic moment. The magnetic moment is measured in the experiment, the spin is inferred from the presence of the magnetic moment.
But only for a moment?
Why is it called a moment?

Lets recap.
To explain spin how many different terms were used before you got to a magnetic moment? I would ask you to define a magnetic moment, but I'm sure it would just lead to another term that explains nothing.

Just admit that spin isn't really spin. All of you seem to be fans of wikipedia and that is what it basically says. Intrinsic spin isn't spin.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
14 Feb 20

@metal-brain said
But only for a moment?

Lets recap.
To explain spin how many different terms were used before you got to a magnetic moment? I would ask you to define a magnetic moment, but I'm sure it would just lead to another term that explains nothing.

Just admit that spin isn't really spin. All of you seem to be fans of wikipedia and that is what it basically says. Intrinsic spin isn't spin.
A magnetic moment is an atomic magnet.

K

Germany

Moves
15 Feb 20

@metal-brain said
But only for a moment?

Lets recap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_(physics)

MB

Moves
15 Feb 20

@deepthought said
A magnetic moment is an atomic magnet.
What is an atomic magnet?

h

Moves
16 Feb 20

@metal-brain said
What is an atomic magnet?
Just look up 'atomic' in the common English dictionary and it world say/imply "adjective
"relating to an atom or atoms."
"the nature of matter at the atomic level"
Chemistry
"(of a substance) consisting of uncombined atoms rather than molecules."

Therefore "atomic magnet" means an atom that is acting like a magnet.

The thing is, that was just plain English at opposed to a technical term.
So if you cannot even understand that then you will never understand it.

MB

Moves
16 Feb 20

@humy said
Just look up 'atomic' in the common English dictionary and it world say/imply "adjective
"relating to an atom or atoms."
"the nature of matter at the atomic level"
Chemistry
"(of a substance) consisting of uncombined atoms rather than molecules."

Therefore "atomic magnet" means an atom that is acting like a magnet.

The thing is, that was just pl ...[text shortened]... osed to a technical term.
So if you cannot even understand that then you will never understand it.
"Therefore "atomic magnet" means an atom that is acting like a magnet."

Which atoms, and why is an atom acting like a magnet? There are only a limited number of elements that can be used to create permanent magnets. Are you saying only atoms from those metals like Iron, nickle and cobalt or all elements without exception?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
16 Feb 20

@Metal-Brain
EVERY atom from the top of the periodic table to the bottom has magnetic moment, some more than others but they ALL have some magnetic field.

h

Moves
16 Feb 20
2 edits

@metal-brain said
"Therefore "atomic magnet" means an atom that is acting like a magnet."

Which atoms, and why is an atom acting like a magnet? There are only a limited number of elements that can be used to create permanent magnets. Are you saying only atoms from those metals like Iron, nickle and cobalt or all elements without exception?
Which atoms, and why is an atom acting like a magnet?
What has that got to do with it?
I just told you what "atomic magnet" means, not which atoms can be an atomic magnet or why.
There are only a limited number of elements that can be used to create permanent magnets.
So what? What has that got to do with what "atomic magnet" means?
Are you saying only atoms from those metals like Iron, nickle and cobalt or all elements without exception?
No. I just told you what "atomic magnet" means, not which kind of atoms can be used to make permanent magnets, which would be irrelavant to what "atomic magnet" means. The meaning of "atomic magnet" doesn't equate with the meaning of "permanent magnet".
Your new straw man?

You asked us what "atomic magnet" means; I answered you correctly what it means. You have nothing to complain about here.