Strange But True

Strange But True

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
13 Oct 06
1 edit

I think Arrakis is saying the player was under time pressure and as a result of that pressure the player accidently picked up the knight and hit the clock without capturing it thus lost a won position.......although I might be wrong 🙂

A
D_U_N_E

Arrakis

Moves
13 Oct 06
2 edits

Originally posted by arrakis
Sometime in the eighty's Michigan had this really cool tournament in Detroit that was called The Motor City Open. This tournament became a prestigious even for Michigan players to play in and drew a lot of strong players.

Because it was always a Swiss System, the strong players didn't play each other until the 3rd round. So here it was in round 3 that my his clock. Morgan looked at his clock. MOVE MORGAN MOVE!!! was racing thru our brains.
Sorry, not all of the message took so I'm filling the end in here...

Suddenly Morgan looked at the clock and saw he was down to his last 1-1/2 minute. The spectators looked around at each other with nervous glances... didn't Morgan know he had to move quickly?

60 secomds then BAMM!! Morgan moved like lightning! Quicker than the eye could follow he snatched up the opponent's knight and slammed it down on the clock button.

All the watching players took in a sigh of relief and started breathing along normal lines, but then...

But suddenly all the watchers were obsessed with the game again. I looked at the clock and saw that even though Morgan had hit the chess clock button with the bottom of the knight - that knight was missing a weight! And unknowing to Morgan his clock was still ticking!

So everyone but Morgan is staring at the clock because his side is STILL RUNNING! 😲

Can you imagine the pressure on all of us to say somthing! "Morgam, hit the clack again!" , but of course nobody could say anything. In fact. the TD was standing beside the board and he wasn't saying anythin either.

Morgan was waiting for his opponet to move, but he was waiting for Morgan's clock to fall.

40 seconds... 30 seconds... Morgan looked at his opponet. Then he looked at the clock but did not realize that his side was still running!

The tension was immense, but suddenly Morgan's opponent claime a win by time-forefeit. Morgan couldn't believe his eyes! "I pushed the clock", he said. Yeah, my buddy slamed that knight over the clock sfter capturing it, but didn't realize the tacky felt on the bottom wouldn't push the pin down. 😳

F

Moves
13 Oct 06

This happened a long time ago. I hope I am forgiven by now.

I was new in the club and no one knew my true potential. My opponents friends was flocking around our board. It was an interesting game but I was low in material, my opponent wasn't. He was about to promote a pawn and my sole king with his bishop companion and a few pawns tried to salvage the situation. The air was dense.

I saw something, a way out, a path to stalemate. He should have seen my obvious moves in this direction, but evidently he didn't. So in the last move I moved my bishop in front of his king. Waited a few seconds. Then I sighed loudly, turned my whole body away from the board, showing a strong feeling of 'Oh, such a blunder!', but didn't say anything. I should have an Oscar for that. My opponent snatched my bishop and put his king into its place and looked at med triumphantly, hitting the clock. I wrote a 1/2 in my score sheet and gave him my hand. A tenth of a second before he grabbed it I said 'Stalemate', then the handshake confirmed the draw and his face grew surprised. He looked at the position and realized that I actually was in stalemate. I gave him my score sheet for him to sign, but he didn't. There was discussions between him and his friends and finally he signed and gave me a look I wouldn’t like to have in a dark alley.

The thing is that in Swedish stalemate is 'Patt' and mate is 'Matt', sounding quite alike. Perhaps he thought I said 'Matt' and therefore grabbed my hand and the felt cheated of the win, I don't know.

With body language you can give your opponent information of how you feel about the position. But you can also give false information with body language and take advantage of it. This can be done over the board, but never here at RHP.

z

Moves
13 Oct 06

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
No, that was me. And the exact quote was, "Who are you to tell Anand when he can and cannot sac?".

Anand had tried to sac his way out of a difficult position. But the fact that he was probably lost even without making the sac was lost on you. I love it when fish try to instruct strong GM's on chess strategy. Thanks for the entertainment.
I can see nothing has changed on your part. Perhaps I should challenge you to a series of games over the Christmas holidays and then see whether you can not only talk the talk, but walk the walk?

O

Moves
13 Oct 06

Originally posted by FabianFnas
There was discussions between him and his friends and finally he signed and gave me a look I wouldn’t like to have in a dark alley.

With body language you can give your opponent information of how you feel about the position. But you can also give false information with body language and take advantage of it.
My guess is that he was upset over your use of false information through body language (although for such a simple trap, it shouldn't matter). I've always been taught that trying to trick your opponent through body language or groaning when you set a trap is wrong, and he might feel the same way. Save the false tells for poker (or blitz 🙂)

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
13 Oct 06

Originally posted by OrangeKing
My guess is that he was upset over your use of false information through body language (although for such a simple trap, it shouldn't matter). I've always been taught that trying to trick your opponent through body language or groaning when you set a trap is wrong, and he might feel the same way. Save the false tells for poker (or blitz 🙂)
Speaking of body language, I spent several months pursuing this beautiful red head with a bishop tatooed on her left breast... sadly I never did get the opportunity to fork her.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
13 Oct 06

Originally posted by z00t
I can see nothing has changed on your part. Perhaps I should challenge you to a series of games over the Christmas holidays and then see whether you can not only talk the talk, but walk the walk?
Your challenge would be declined. I'm busy over the christmas holidays, and I'm taking a break from correspondence chess in general.

Your point was that a top 5 player in the world plays "wind-assisted" chess. To prove your point, you need to challenge one of these "wind-assisted" GM's and show them how a real player plays the game.

A
D_U_N_E

Arrakis

Moves
13 Oct 06
1 edit

Originally posted by OrangeKing
I disagree my friend. I think body language should be available as much as any other psychological trick. I used it once to beat a 15 yr-old girl 😞

She was besting me in an endgame and we were both in time trouble. I saw that I couldn't move my rook off the rank or she would take my pawn on the f-file, but then I saw that if I moved my rook all the way to the 8th rank she couldn't take the pawn cause her king was on f7 and my rook could check on f8 cause my bishop covered that square.

So without any hesitation, I grabbed the rook, but then held it in the air and looked disgustingly at the pawn that was going to fall - then set the rook down and hit the clock. She snatched the pawn and I immediately checked, winning the skewered rook.

Yeah, I'm mean.

c

Moves
13 Oct 06

I disagree my friend. I think body language should be available as much as any other psychological trick. I used it once to beat a 15 yr-old girl 😞

She was besting me in an endgame and we were both in time trouble. I saw that I couldn't move my rook off the rank or she would take my pawn on the f-file, but then I saw that if I moved my rook all the way ...[text shortened]... he snatched the pawn and I immediately checked, winning the skewered rook.

Yeah, I'm mean.
Ha! Did she cry?

m

Moves
13 Oct 06

Originally posted by nmc987
FINE DO WHAT YOU WANT !!!

Did you actually read my posts! As i have just said for you benefit, you do so at the risk of losing the game or giving you opponent a 2 minute bonus as stated by the rules. If you take the king in tournament situation and some one claims it against you have no right to complain.
As I said, it's a convention. The only time I've used it is in tournaments where the convention was announced as such by the tournament director beforehand.

So there you go.

Or if you want to be pendantic enough, if they claim an illegal move I will claim a prior illegal move which will take precedence.

m

Moves
13 Oct 06

Originally posted by zebano
I was playing a team event 4 boards per team. We had 2 class A players and 2 class B players on our team. I ended up on board three against a significantly weaker team in the first round. My opponent was a roughly 10 year old kid. We shook hands and started playing. He maintained pressure on me for about 18 moves in an open position at which point he made a c ...[text shortened]... if you're 10 or 100, when you sit down across the board from me, I am going to try and win...
What else could you do? I was playing adult league chess at age nine, and the thought that anyone would do anything other than try and beat me never even crossed my mind.

A
D_U_N_E

Arrakis

Moves
14 Oct 06
2 edits

Originally posted by cmsMaster
Ha! Did she cry?
No, but she hated my friggin' guts for years after that! 🙁

Which allows me to tell a story... 🙂

In 1996 (10 years ago) I was assigned to work with a bright, young woman with an engineering degree named Judy, who was fresh out of college. We were assigned to a project together and I thought it was a team effort, but she soon told me, "No, I'm the Engineer. You will do it the way I tell you to do it."

So, as an hourly designer, I made some prints exactly how she told me to do it. Then I made a 2nd version the way I knew the job should be done, which involved tearing out an existing wall. I placed that print under her copy.

We were both called to a big meeting about the project with the plant manager and some of his technical staff. I showed them the presentation that Judy wanted and waited patiently...

There was some hesitation in the group - didn't that production setup cause safety problems? Wouldn't it increase the workload, and therefore cause a union grievance?

So then I pulled out the print from under hers and said, "Well, we could just take this wall out and that would allow a more efficient production with even less work effort."

Everyone said, "Of course! Such a simple solution. Do it that way."
And the meeting was over. Judy learned two things from that experience.
1) that she wasn't my boss. and 2) that she should listen to people.

But you know what? Because of what happened 10 years ago, as to this day she still hates my friggin' guts!

So the moral of this story is this:
People may not remember you by what you said or even what you did, but they will sure as Hell remember you for the way you made them feel!

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
14 Oct 06

But you know what? Because of what happened 10 years ago, as to this day she still hates my friggin' guts!

So the moral of this story is this:
[b]People may not remember you by what you said or even what you did, but they will sure as Hell remember you for the way you made them feel!
[/b]
Don't worry about it too much, I'm sure she has other reasons to hate you as well.

c

Moves
14 Oct 06

c

Moves
14 Oct 06

Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
Don't worry about it too much, I'm sure she has other reasons to hate you as well.
People are like that - you deal with them and say f*c it. Some people you like, some you don't, and you have to assume others will feel the same about you.