Strange But True

Strange But True

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A
D_U_N_E

Arrakis

Moves
13 Dec 06

My friend, Attila, comes over on Tuesdays and we watch a chess video then start drinking and playing Blitz 5 min chess. We play for titles like "US Champ", "World Champ", "Champion of the Universe", etc. all in good drinking fun.

So in our final game of "Champion of the Universe", I dropped my queen, but I managed to get all the pawns off and I had a knight & king against his queen & king. Of course this is a win for him if he has time to do it, but I played on cause I had about 1 minute left to his 30 seconds. Then something funny happened that caused a disagreement.

As he was closing in on my king with his king & queen I put him in check and he moved his queen. So I ripped his king off the board exclaiming, "I WIN!!!"

He immediately claimed that I could not win because I had insufficient mating material! A king and knight cannot mate another king. But I informed him that it WAS a win because he hung his king! In speed chess you can take the king.

So he still claims it's only a draw because you can't take the king. I know I'm right about this. Can anyone verify the speed chess rules?

F

Moves
14 Dec 06

Originally posted by arrakis
My friend, Attila, comes over on Tuesdays and we watch a chess video then start drinking and playing Blitz 5 min chess. We play for titles like "US Champ", "World Champ", "Champion of the Universe", etc. all in good drinking fun.

So in our final game of "Champion of the Universe", I dropped my queen, but I managed to get all the pawns off and I had a knig ...[text shortened]... ake the king. I know I'm right about this. Can anyone verify the speed chess rules?
It wasn't a mate. It was a win!

In speed chess every illegal move is a loss - if the opponent discovers it. If he make the next move he accepted the others move as it was moved. So if you are able to take his king it is perfectly alright because he didn't see that the king was threatened at the move before.

But I'm not sure that I'm right, this is only my opinion.

By the way - is Champion of the Universe better than Kramnik?

IC

Moves
14 Dec 06
2 edits

So in our final game of "Champion of the Universe", I dropped my queen, but I managed to get all the pawns off and I had a knig ake the king. I know I'm right about this. Can anyone verify the speed chess rules?
In most clubs , when playing skittles or blitz, when you hang a King it is fairplay to take it and win. In some tournaments this is also the rule. Moves are normally clock move, not touch move. Illegal moves must be claimed as such before hitting your clock and finalizing the move.

Here are the standard USCF rules for speed chess:

Rules for Blitz chess printed in the U.S. Chess Federation's Official Rules of Chess, 4th Edition, except as modified below shall apply to this event.
Clocks shall be set for five (5) minutes. Timedelay will not be used.
The player of Black shall have the right to choose the clock and the side of the board on which it is placed.
Games are played with the touch move rules in force.
Moves must be made with the same hand that is used to stop their clock.
Players may claim a draw under the insufficient losing chances rule when they have less than one minute remaining on their clock. In the event the claim is denied, the claimant shall lose the game. The director shall have the right to temporarily reserve judgment while ordering play to continue.
Players shall be paired based on their USCF regular rating. If a player has no regular rating, a player's quick chess rating may be used.

A player making an illegal move and hitting the clock shall forfeit the game, if called by the opponent before touching a piece.

Players shall post their results on the pairing sheets as directed by the director. Players not posting their results may be withdrawn at the discretion of the director. Players failing to post their result shall receive zero points for that round.

The main difference in the two sets of rules is, one is clock move, the other is touch move. My feelings are, I don't play touch move in a normal blitz game at the club, so taking the King is fine. When playing touch move speed chess, you announce that your opponent has made an illegal move, then claim game. Also in a normal club setting, playing clock move speed chess, when an illegal move is made , such as castling across a check, or making two moves in a row, you can claim game by announcing "Illegal move."

A
D_U_N_E

Arrakis

Moves
14 Dec 06
1 edit

Originally posted by FabianFnas
It wasn't a mate. It was a win!

By the way - is Champion of the Universe better than Kramnik?
Oh Yeah! In fact, just to make it legit, we say something like... "Okay, everybody is invited to participate in this tournament". Then we fill our drinks and say, "Well, I guess they turned us down. We'll have to continue w/o them - they had their chance." 😵

A
D_U_N_E

Arrakis

Moves
14 Dec 06

Originally posted by Ice Cold
In most clubs , when playing skittles or blitz, when you hang a King it is fairplay to take it and win. In some tournaments this is also the rule. Moves are normally clock move, not touch move. Illegal moves must be claimed as such before hitting your clock and finalizing the move.

Here are the standard USCF rules for speed chess:

Rules for Blitz che ...[text shortened]... ss a check, or making two moves in a row, you can claim game by announcing "Illegal move."
Thanks for the info, but you incorrectly stated that 'touch move was not enforced'. Touch move is always enforced.

F

Moves
14 Dec 06

Oh Yeah! In fact, just to make it "legal", we say something like... "Okay, everybody is invited to participate in this tournament". Then we fill our drinks and say, "Well, I guess they turned us down. We'll have to continue w/o them - they had their chance." 😵
In Sweden we sometimes (?) have somethings called Snaps-chess.
This means that every piece represent equal amount of centilitre Vodka as the value of the piece. A pawn is worth 1 cl and the queen is worth 9 cl. Every time you take a piece of your opponent you have to drink the amount of Vodka the particular piece represents.
The rate of blunders is propotional to the length of the game.

I tell you, a pawn ending is quite difficult to perform.

One trick is to sacrifice the queen early in the game... 😵

A
D_U_N_E

Arrakis

Moves
14 Dec 06

Originally posted by FabianFnas
In Sweden we sometimes (?) have somethings called Snaps-chess.
This means that every piece represent equal amount of centilitre Vodka as the value of the piece. A pawn is worth 1 cl and the queen is worth 9 cl. Every time you take a piece of your opponent you have to drink the amount of Vodka the particular piece represents.
The rate of blunders is pro ...[text shortened]... ng is quite difficult to perform.

One trick is to sacrifice the queen early in the game... 😵
Oh Wow! I never knew Swedes could be so much fun.

F

Moves
14 Dec 06

Oh Wow! I never knew Swedes could be so much fun.
Some of us, yes, others are not.
Those chessplayers sleeping under the chess table is not - anymore.