Strange But True

Strange But True

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
14 Oct 06

This isn't in the same class as your guys stories but it's pretty funny.

I was playing chess online on Yahoo or ICC several years ago.

I was winning and was getting ready to promote my pawn and use my new queen and my other pieces remaining to mate the king. My opponent had his king and some pawns left. So I go about my way, getting my king in a decent position, moving my pieces in slowly and then off to the races I went with my pawn. Sometimes if I feel like torturing my opponent I will hold of queening and move my pieces in and chock him.

So anyways he moves his king back and forth on the same 2 squares. Several moves later, 5 I think he says draw!!!

And I'm like what? Draw he tells me. I tell him It's not a draw but he keeps insisting. So I ask him why it's a draw and he says, can you guess?

3 move rep! I'd like to see the look on his face when I told him that both sides have to play the same moves! He though by moving his king back and forth he could get a draw because black position would be the same 3 times.

So much for knowing the rules eh?

A
D_U_N_E

Arrakis

Moves
14 Oct 06

I'll be playing in the Michigan Amateur in Flint this weekend. Maybe something interesting will happen to write about. 😵

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
14 Nov 06
2 edits

A few years ago I was playing in a dark dimly lit back room in a club in Amsterdam that had chessboards painted on the tables. I borrowed a set from behind the bar and sat down. After about 20 minutes a big heavy set woman asked if she could sit down and play.

She was pretty decent but I was steadily taking control of the game. After several exchanges I found myself left with 2 Rooks and a Knight to her Rook and Bishop. As i moved in for the final kill, easing my rook several squares down the table, she smiled and said, "Looks like i'm in trouble now"

I said laughing, "ya, you're going to have to pull something outta your a** if you want to win this one".

She got this crazy wild look on her face and to my surprise, she stood up and dropped her pants. She bent over and reached around into the back of her underwear and pulled out of her arse a 6 inch plug shaped like a Queen!

She pulled up her pants, sat down, slammed the pseudo-Queen on the board and said with a giant grin, "Will this do?"

Santa Clara, CA

Moves
15 Nov 06

Originally posted by uzless
A few years ago I was playing in a dark dimly lit back room in a club in Amsterdam that had chessboards painted on the tables. I borrowed a set from behind the bar and sat down. After about 20 minutes a big heavy set woman asked if she could sit down and play.

She was pretty decent but I was steadily taking control of the game. After several exchange ...[text shortened]... down, slammed the pseudo-Queen on the board and said with a giant grin, "Will this do?"
thread over

A
D_U_N_E

Arrakis

Moves
15 Nov 06

She was pretty decent but I was steadily taking control of the game. After several exchange ...[text shortened]... down, slammed the pseudo-Queen on the board and said with a giant grin, "Will this do?"
These are supposed to be "Strange but True" experiences uzless! 😠

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
15 Nov 06

Originally posted by arrakis
These are supposed to be "Strange but True" experiences uzless! 😠
not strange enough?

o
onyx2007

watching you...

Moves
15 Nov 06

lmao!!!

F

Moves
13 Dec 06

I attended a blitz-tournament yesterday and I witnessed following game between the two players. I name them Adam and Eve, not exposing their correct names.

Both was poor on time so the moves was performed rather hastily.
Adam have reached the h7 with the pawn and was about to promote to a queen. He reached for the queen to prepare the promotion as quickly as possible.
Eve on the other hand had a lethal attack on whites queen-side and was indeed concentrated on that.
Adam, in turn, put the new queen at h8, without removing the pawn. Now there was a pawn still on h7 and a new queen at h8. He struck the clock and the move was completed. Of course this is not legal but Eve, with low time, was concentrating at her attack at the other corner on the board not noticing the illegal nature of Adams dubious move.
Eve took the knight at b1, struck the clock and was happy until she realized that perhaps the lethal attack was not so lethal after all, but anyway worthwhile to continue.
Adam moved his new queen, Eve made a move, and now Adam promoted his pawn, now in a legal way. Eve discovered that Adam now had two queens, woke up and wonder how come this was possible. She objected and called for the Tournament Leader.

Adam had a winning position, about to win at any move with either of his two queens. Eve was not quite so happy after her unsuccessful attack. More so unhappy after the cheating of Adam.

There was witnesses that saw everything (me for one), but of course no one didn't say anything during the game, when TD asked us we told him the situation in full so TD had the situation quite clear.

How should the TD judge?

I'll tell you what happened later...

M

Moves
13 Dec 06
1 edit

FIDE Laws of chess 7.4
1. If during a game it is found by the arbiter or one of the players that an illegal move ... has been completed, the position immediately before the irregularity shall be reinstated. ...... The clocks shall be adjusted according to Article 6.14. Article 4.3 applies to the move replacing the illegal move. The game shall then continue from this reinstated position.

2. After the action taken under Article 7.4(a), for the first two illegal moves by a player the arbiter shall give two minutes extra time to his opponent in each instance; for a third illegal move by the same player, the arbiter shall declare the game lost by this player.

6.14 If an irregularity occurs and/or the pieces have to be restored to a previous position, the arbiter shall use his best judgement to determine the times to be shown on the clocks. He shall also, if necessary, adjust the clock`s move counter.

edit. I didn't check the rules on blitz, but if the black player had seen it when it was his turn, he could have claimed a win.

F

Moves
13 Dec 06

Originally posted by Mephisto2
FIDE Laws of chess 7.4
1. If during a game it is found by the arbiter or one of the players that an illegal move ... has been completed, the position immediately before the irregularity shall be reinstated. ...... The clocks shall be adjusted according to Article 6.14. Article 4.3 applies to the move replacing the illegal move. The game shall then conti ...[text shortened]... n blitz, but if the black player had seen it when it was his turn, he could have claimed a win.
In this case black discovered the unlegal move when the very same pawn promoted the second time, and then the pawn was removed, thus legal.
Is there a rule against promoting a pawn twice? Which promotion is then unlegal, the first or the second? I don't know...

M

Moves
13 Dec 06

Originally posted by FabianFnas
In this case black discovered the unlegal move when the very same pawn promoted the second time, and then the pawn was removed, thus legal.
Is there a rule against promoting a pawn twice? Which promotion is then unlegal, the first or the second? I don't know...
I agree. That's why I think the right decision by the arbiter is to make them play again from the position just before the 'illegal' move (promotion), including the 'touch' rule, i.e. promote the pawn (but not necessarily to queen, the 'touched' queen was not a piece on the board). And to adjust the clocks, including a 2-min penalty.

F

Moves
13 Dec 06

Originally posted by Mephisto2
I agree. That's why I think the right decision by the arbiter is to make them play again from the position just before the 'illegal' move (promotion), including the 'touch' rule, i.e. promote the pawn (but not necessarily to queen, the 'touched' queen was not a piece on the board). And to adjust the clocks, including a 2-min penalty.
With the lack of time I think it was difficult to reconstruct the position of where the error was done. I would think there would be endless discussions about the position. It was a blitz with only 5 min per player and game.

A

Moves
13 Dec 06

You shouldn't have been so rude to a lady. I can't belive you were so cruel.

IC

Moves
13 Dec 06

The guy sounds like an ass. lol
I know that the TD made the right decision. Rules are rules. Also playing blitz while playing in a slow time control tournament, he could have been testing lines in his long game via blitz. It is a possibility, I doubt it ,but it is possible.

F

Moves
13 Dec 06

Originally posted by Ice Cold
The guy sounds like an ass. lol
I know that the TD made the right decision. Rules are rules. Also playing blitz while playing in a slow time control tournament, he could have been testing lines in his long game via blitz. It is a possibility, I doubt it ,but it is possible.
Yes, TD declared the win for the white Adam.

The black Eve should tell TD when the error was done, not after. When Eve made the next move she accepted his faulty one.

I remember what Eve told Adam: "You won the game but you also lost a friend."