Game 14752030

😲

Edit: oops, meant to reply to mike's post
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    05 Mar '23 23:02
    @tommovich said
    I do agree that playing stronger opponents will most likely improve your chess.
    But I think we all eventually reach a level we can’t get beyond.
    I agree with your last sentence! I reckon I'm a 1750 kind of player, occasionally dropping into the 1600s if I'm off form, and very occasionally reaching 1800s, where after I am swiftly put in my place. As an aside, I don't really understand why I play well or badly (by my standards) , but it does seem to go in phases....Win a few games, lose a few games, that kind of thing. Anyway I'm happy where I am, enjoy my chess immensely, and don't anticipate very much improvement in the future.
    I suppose to get better I'd have to study chess theory or whatever, which for me would take the fun out of it, and it probably wouldn't make a lot of difference.

Regarding opponent average ratings, and although I'm not really a ratings junky, I've always supposed that playing opponents a couple of hundred points lower than me, grabbing ten points a game or whatever, would lead to a gradual and false increase in my rating, so I don't do that. I always try to play people within 50 or so points of my own current rating, and take the knocks accordingly. Conversely, if I played people 200 points higher than me I'd lose every time, so I don't do that, either.
  3. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    05 Mar '23 23:10
    @a-unique-nickname said
    And sometimes they even blunder like us average players

Game 14752030

😲

Edit: oops, meant to reply to mike's post
    Those two are normal daily occurrences for me. Check out mine against shortcircuit, it was a couple moves before I even noticed. 🤯🤯🤯

I don’t know how to put it up, and it would take three days if I tried.
  4. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    05 Mar '23 23:30
    @indonesia-phil said
    I agree with your last sentence! I reckon I'm a 1750 kind of player, occasionally dropping into the 1600s if I'm off form, and very occasionally reaching 1800s, where after I am swiftly put in my place. As an aside, I don't really understand why I play well or badly (by my standards) , but it does seem to go in phases....Win a few games, lose a few games, that kind of ...[text shortened]... rsely, if I played people 200 points higher than me I'd lose every time, so I don't do that, either.
    I agree about studying lots of openings, it wouldn’t help me much either. I play what I see and try to open my eyes more to the board to see what’s open and how far you can push the moves. I enjoy playing fast for fun, it’s kind of a rush😁, but working on it with clan games. I also feel if I do it and win it would take more fun out feeling I would have to try that hard every time which is more stress. If you would like to play a game for fun send one over.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Mar '23 04:24
    @mike69 said
    Those two are normal daily occurrences for me. Check out mine against shortcircuit, it was a couple moves before I even noticed. 🤯🤯🤯

I don’t know how to put it up, and it would take three days if I tried.
    Game 15198631

I have to admit that made me laugh 😂

Sometimes we just don't look at the board but play anyway, or we think we're looking at it.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Mar '23 04:25
    Only fair if I post my own... A week or so against rusty. He hasn't stopped talking about it 🤣

Game 15128742
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Mar '23 04:39
    @indonesia-phil said
    I agree with your last sentence! I reckon I'm a 1750 kind of player, occasionally dropping into the 1600s if I'm off form, and very occasionally reaching 1800s, where after I am swiftly put in my place. As an aside, I don't really understand why I play well or badly (by my standards) , but it does seem to go in phases....Win a few games, lose a few games, that kind of ...[text shortened]... rsely, if I played people 200 points higher than me I'd lose every time, so I don't do that, either.
    I'd put you at 1800 easily, very solid player. Or maybe I just got you when you were on form 😄
  8. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    08 Mar '23 03:07
    @a-unique-nickname said
    Only fair if I post my own... A week or so against rusty. He hasn't stopped talking about it 🤣

Game 15128742
    Nope don’t feel any better😫. The next day after mentioning, the first game I clicked on I did it again with a rook. I couldn’t take it 😂, quit moving and lost a game from time. Blunder’s, Blunder’s, Blunder’s, my chess life sucks!
  9. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    17 Mar '23 21:52
    @endlame said
    Listen all you people who want success at chess...

Play tougher opponents or people at your level.
    If everyone did this, there would be no games except for people of exactly equal rating.

Every time you play up - EVERY TIME - it is because someone else agreed to play down against you.

If everyone declined playing lower-rated opponents, you would never have a single game against a higher-rated opponent.
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    17 Mar '23 21:54
    @endlame said
    Another 300 point deficit player triggered ⬆️

If his rating explanation was true then everyone would be 300 points above their opponent average rating.
    Go back and read it again. Your summation is incorrect.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree