D-Day Remembered 75 Years

D-Day Remembered 75 Years

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
06 Jun 19

Anyone have any stories about D-Day?

I am watching a ceremony on T.V they are having at a beach where the troops landed.

-VR

F

Moves
07 Jun 19

While D-Day was predominantly a British (and Canadian) operation, I am grateful to the U.S. for their contribution and the part they played.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
07 Jun 19

@fmf said
While D-Day was predominantly a British (and Canadian) operation, I am grateful to the U.S. for their contribution and the part they played.
Good job you posted this comment in here rather than debates, or you would have been lambasted for failing to recognise all manner of other factors ranging from the Russian losses to the apparent rape of French women by American soldiers as they supported the liberation efforts.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Jun 19

RNC chairwoman Ronna McDaniel apparently thinks D-Day anniversary celebrations should be all about Donald Trump.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/d-day-celebrate-trump-ronna-mcdaniel_n_5cf7f7d1e4b0e3e3df1427bd

I know, I couldn't believe it before I read the story, either.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Jun 19
1 edit

For those who are not aware of the sheer horror of the Normandy beach landings on June 6th, 1944, I invite you to watch the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan (1998). These scenes depict the absolute tragedy of the scale of the loss of life on that fateful day. Some made it and lived another day. Many did not.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
07 Jun 19
1 edit

@suzianne said
RNC chairwoman Ronna McDaniel apparently thinks D-Day anniversary celebrations should be all about Donald Trump.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/d-day-celebrate-trump-ronna-mcdaniel_n_5cf7f7d1e4b0e3e3df1427bd

I know, I couldn't believe it before I read the story, either.
That sounds as if you are under the impression that anything good came without HIM (the Donald).
One other guy I could think of was this one: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/8965150/Kim-Jong-ils-greatest-achievements.html

Probably he should be celebrated at D-Day too?

Moves
07 Jun 19
1 edit

@very-rusty said
Anyone have any stories about D-Day?

I am watching a ceremony on T.V they are having at a beach where the troops landed.

-VR
I recall, as a young airman, I was partying with some G.I. pals on Asan Beach, Guam. We were just a few kilometers north of where the 3rd Marines had landed in July of 1944. I was very interested in the history at that time, because the 40th anniversary celebration of Guam's liberation from the Japanese was in full-bloom.
The beach was rather crowded, but we drank and carried on just the same. We were just kids.
During that day, I met up with an older gent who was laying nearby. We struck up a conversation and he revealed that he was an ex-Marine.
At some point, the nearby invasion site became the object of our conversation. The battlefield was a "sacred" place for me. I'd gone there frequently when feeling lonely and in need of a respite from self-pity. In such a place, life's superficialities evaporate.
Anyway, in conversation, he revealed that he'd been part of the first waves which had landed at Omaha. I should have stood-up and given that guy a full military salute. But, being my ignorant young self, I wanted to hear more about the juicy gore. I was such an idiot. He would only say that he was "just lucky" and that he remembered being constantly "terrified". I was respectful of his reluctance to recall and his wife explained that he "never talks about it".
I've thought about him often throughout the years. I've regretted not having been mature enough to recognize and venerate true heroism when it sat directly in front of my face.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
07 Jun 19

@suzianne said
For those who are not aware of the sheer horror of the Normandy beach landings on June 6th, 1944, I invite you to watch the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan (1998).
That was a Hollywood film ...

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
07 Jun 19

@fmf said
The first couple of days of the Normandy invasion were horrific. Huge
loses on both sides. Plus lots and lolts of civilian casualties.

Tragic.

c

Moves
07 Jun 19

@fmf said
If not for the involvement of the United States, we'd all be speaking German and would be part of the Third Reich.

Your minimizing the role of the U.S. is an insult, and factually incorrect.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
07 Jun 19

@wolfe63 said
He would only say that he was "just lucky" and that he remembered being constantly "terrified". I was respectful of his reluctance to recall and his wife explained that he "never talks about it".
I've thought about him often throughout the years. I've regretted not having been mature enough to recognize and venerate true heroism when it sat directly in front of my face.
My father served in North Africa, then Italy, then France.
He never wanted to talk about any of it.
My sister called him a hero but he dismissed it.

My father was of an age when you did your duty.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
07 Jun 19

@chaney3 said
If not for the involvement of the United States, we'd all be speaking German and would be part of the Third Reich.

watched too much of the Amazon Series "Man from the High Castle"?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
07 Jun 19

@chaney3 said

What? How? Why?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
07 Jun 19

@chaney3 said

The involvement of the US quickened the end of the war, but victory for the Allied forces would still have been achieved eventually. Russia, for example, would have overwhelmed Germany.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
07 Jun 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
The involvement of the US quickened the end of the war, but victory for the Allied forces would still have been achieved eventually. Russia, for example, would have overwhelmed Germany.
Canadians from New Brunswick, Canada were among the firt to hit the beach at Juno. 5,000 Canadians are buried over there. I believe they said 15,000 went over.

-VR