Bill's Big Bag of Onions series 5...

Bill's Big Bag of Onions series 5...

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
16 Jul 21

@badradger said
not worried just found it a bit empty.
Like I say, microfictions are probably just not your cup of tea.

F

Moves
16 Jul 21

The sensibilities underpinning the musical selections are also not everybody's cup of tea. Another criticism I have heard regards there being only only two readers.

Moves
16 Jul 21

@badradger said
not worried just found it a bit empty.
Yeah, I think it’s absolutely crap!

Self indulgent boring waffle

#green_thumb_hunter

Moves
16 Jul 21

@fmf said
The sensibilities underpinning the musical selections are also not everybody's cup of tea. Another criticism I have heard regards there being only only two readers.
Only one them is any good too!

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Jul 21

@divegeester said
Yeah, I think it’s absolutely crap!

Self indulgent boring waffle

#green_thumb_hunter
It was like a kid opening a box of crayons only to find they are all nthe same colour.

F

Moves
16 Jul 21

@badradger said
It was like a kid opening a box of crayons only to find they are all nthe same colour.
Perhaps the fact that all the stories, despite their variety of styles and subjects, are the exact same very short 100-word length doesn't float your boats.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
16 Jul 21

"Bill's Big Bag of Onions"

Why did you decide on this title for your radio show?

-VR

F

Moves
16 Jul 21

@very-rusty said
"Bill's Big Bag of Onions"

Why did you decide on this title for your radio show?
In discussions about possible radio programmes about five or six years ago, Bill and I were talking about an idea for a random scrapbook type approach to a surreal jumble of music and spoken word and he just rattled off the words 'Bill and Ade's Bag of Onions' off the top of his head to refer to it, rather like someone might have said 'the thingamajig show' or 'the whatchamacallit show', i.e. that's how we can refer to it until an idea for a proper name for it occurs to us.

What we have now can be traced back to those discussions though the current "Bill's Big Bag of Onions" isn't a surreal jumble of music and spoken word by any means [...having said that, Series 1, 2 and 3 ~ 150 shows that went out in the dead of night ~ were a little bit that way inclined where the random spoken word intrusions into the music were known as Onions].

An "Onion" now refers to a 100-word microfiction specifically.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
16 Jul 21

@fmf said
In discussions about possible radio programmes about five or six years ago, Bill and I were talking about an idea for a random scrapbook type approach to a surreal jumble of music and spoken word and he just rattled off the words 'Bill and Ade's Bag of Onions' off the top of his head to refer to it, rather like someone might have said 'the thingamajig show' or 'the whatchamacalli ...[text shortened]... the music were known as Onions].

An "Onion" now refers to a 100-word microfiction specifically.
Thank you for your answer.

To be honest I've never really followed it, but it all makes sense now on the name.

-VR

F

Moves
20 Jul 21

@fmf said
...retrospective, part 1.

Twenty exquisite Onions - written by 17 different Onionistas - selected from the 260 that were broadcast in the course of series 5.

The short excerpts of eclectic instrumental music interspersed with the boy-you-got-'em-all-jammed-in-here microfictions, and the absence of From Colchester To Sulawesi at the end, gives this highlights reel edition of the show a very different feel.
Series 5 Retrospective Part 2

https://tinyurl.com/5cj938we

Another 20 juicy standout Onions from the 260 broadcast between January and June this year.

F

Moves
21 Jul 21

@fmf said
Series 5 Retrospective Part 2

https://tinyurl.com/5cj938we
This is a shortened URL for a link to the show at Spotify, btw.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Jul 21

@the-gravedigger said
Sounds good. I'm off to Clacton.
can I come these onions are crap

Moves
21 Jul 21

@badradger said
can I come these onions are crap
The aggregate quality took a notable jump around this time last year.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Jul 21

@fmf said
What do you think of Bill's Big Bag of Oions?
I think you should change the name toBills Big Bag Of Bollocks.

F

Moves
21 Jul 21

@badradger said
I think you should change the name toBills Big Bag Of Bollocks.
Thanks for taking the time to offer advice.