You have to admit....

You have to admit....

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Über-Nerd

Moves
20 Oct 20
1 edit

@AverageJoe1

Here ya go, kleptocracy in action:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54614792

Sure, Trump says he wouldn't do it, but could do it. Get it now? The fact that Trump sees no conflict of interest in offering contracts and permits in exchange for campaign contributions, is a violation of absolutely elementary principles of good governance. No sitting president should even be considering such a thing hypothetically.

Lake Como

Moves
20 Oct 20

@suzianne said
But what if this "very bad man" was ripping off citizens, making himself rich, and you are in a position of public trust, you know, a guardian of the common good, then you'd want to get him out of office so that he quits overstepping his office to enrich himself, and this has been brought to your attention by others he's screwed over, THEN you talk to his boss (who may be co ...[text shortened]... the one making this complicated by introducing factors which have nothing to do with the situation.
What is the issue? The issue here is a guy, me, cannot stand by and watch someone harass and try to get my son in trouble. No father would, no matter who the harasser is.

So, in your usual debate-speak, you just wrote a paragraph on this issue which makes no reference to the issue. You write all about how bad this neighbor is, as if you are saying he is REAL bad, ....that that would make a difference?

Read again, you say I would want to get him (the bad neighbor's boss) out of office. He is a common businessman building a pool, holds no office. A nice guy, the neighbor, his employee, is the bad guy. The neighbor's bad actions are none of my business, unless a complaint is filed and I deal with it at City Hall. So, what do you think? Do you agree that my strong-arming the boss to stop his employee is very wrong......using my position on Town Council to do so?? This is what Joe Biden did, Suzianne. It is irrelevant that you say that the neighbor rips off citizens, that is another issue. Can you not say, yeah, Joe, I see your point?

Lake Como

Moves
20 Oct 20

@moonbus said
Same as when David Packard was appointed to a federal post which might potentially have netted HP large government contracts. His assets were put into a blind trust and managed by a non-partisan organization over which he had no influence.

That is the only way to prevent kleptocrats, like the Trumps, from using public office for self-enrichment. Trump is in office to serve ...[text shortened]... alary; if that isn't enough for him, he should resign and go back to bankrupting his own businesses.
Everyone knows about blind trusts. That worked OK when Truman had a hat shop, this is a bit more complicated. Maybe we can agree that Ivanka could just be the Trustee then, or should it be someone outside the family that does not know Trump, or maybe Sonhouse?

Lake Como

Moves
20 Oct 20

@suzianne said
Corporations were taxed by 90% during WW2.

And guess what? They STILL made money hand over fist. One can only imagine what they're making now, with their license to rip off everyone (in many ways) granted to them by Republicans.

The only way corporations go broke is if their owners decide that if they're not going to become OBSCENELY rich by screwing the American peo ...[text shortened]... ofits. You got rich by fiscally raping Americans, then you can pay your fair share back to America.
Wow. Are you aware that when you put the strangle on corps, things grind down, and even if the minima wage is at $30/hour, there will no jobs?!??!

Under Biden, you fellers will lose the opportunities that have existed for a few hundred years. All gone. It is the only thing that can happen. Who do you think will pay for all his programs.? There will be money for that, AND for you, too? hahahah

Lake Como

Moves
20 Oct 20
1 edit

@moonbus said
Public servants should not be using their office to make money, beyond whatever salary they are paid for public service. Furthermore, public servants should not endorse products (remember the canned beans?) This is so elementary to principles of good governance, it is a wonder to me that someone has to explain it to you.
Funny. So Biden has the several houses and other riches on a senator salary? He is not allowed to have money-making businesses on the side? Did not know that. And I don't know what you mean with 'using their office to make money', which of course is a no-no. What you talkin' bout?

Do you have any idea how much money the Biden family has amassed?????????

Lake Como

Moves
20 Oct 20

@suzianne said
You DO know that Americans (average Americans, like you, not making nearly as much as you) work at those agencies don't you?

And again, take a look at the Preamble to the Constitution again. These things are what those average Americans are doing for you. Taking care of Americans who have fallen through the cracks. Trump has rendered almost every agency unable to do th ...[text shortened]... job and has turned government into a servant of the Corporation, instead of a servant of the People.
Yes, to everything except last sentence. True we have entitlement programs which should be for the 40M people, but I dont know what you mean, as the money is gushing out of the agencies. Servant of the corporation?. Granted you hate corporations, like Apple who made your computer (govt didn't make it) , and you hate Trump. Where you going with that?

Über-Nerd

Moves
20 Oct 20
2 edits

@averagejoe1 said
Funny. So Biden has the several houses and other riches on a senator salary? He is not allowed to have money-making businesses on the side? Did not know that. And I don't know what you mean with 'using their office to make money', which of course is a no-no. What you talkin' bout?

Of course politicians can have businesses on the side. What they should not do is favour them with contracts and permits because they happen to be in positions of power. Of course they can own golf course resorts; what they should not do is hold diplomatic conferences at their golf course resorts whereby they would have a private financial gain from the conference. Of course they can own houses; what they should not do is rent them out to visiting dignitaries at tax-payer expense whereby they would have a private gain from govt business. That would be using public office for private financial gain.

Ivanka landed patents in China. She would hardly have been able to do that had her father not been president. That is using her father's public office for her own private gain.

THAT is why it is essential to know to whom public servants are beholden, to whom they owe money and who owes them money, and what their private assets are. That is why it pertains to good governance to make the tax returns of presidents public.

Über-Nerd

Moves
20 Oct 20

@averagejoe1 said
Everyone knows about blind trusts. That worked OK when Truman had a hat shop, this is a bit more complicated. Maybe we can agree that Ivanka could just be the Trustee then, or should it be someone outside the family that does not know Trump, or maybe Sonhouse?
The fact that it's complicated is irrelevant.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
20 Oct 20

@kevcvs57 said
Nice bunch of lies earl you are soooo trumpian lately anyone would think there’s an election coming.
Lies, eh?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=blm+burns+flag&id=FB6340CC430ECF40E133E021EC70F305447860A6&form=IQFRBA&first=1&scenario=ImageBasicHover

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
20 Oct 20

@earl-of-trumps said
Lies, eh?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=blm+burns+flag&id=FB6340CC430ECF40E133E021EC70F305447860A6&form=IQFRBA&first=1&scenario=ImageBasicHover
I’m not going to bother following a link that claims BLM and/or Antifa are the paramilitary wing of the Democrat party. But if you see anyone wearing a Qanon T-shirt they might be interested.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Oct 20

@averagejoe1 said
Wow. Are you aware that when you put the strangle on corps, things grind down, and even if the minima wage is at $30/hour, there will no jobs?!??!

Under Biden, you fellers will lose the opportunities that have existed for a few hundred years. All gone. It is the only thing that can happen. Who do you think will pay for all his programs.? There will be money for that, AND for you, too? hahahah
You Do understand Biden is a moderate, like Obama, right?

God help you snowflakes if a real liberal gets into the Oval Office.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
20 Oct 20
1 edit

@earl-of-trumps
@earl-of-trumps
“ The Democrat party has for along time been pitting rich against poor, black
against white, women against men. That is how they roll. ”
Lol I think you’ll find that would be the ‘Rich’ that have been doing all the divide and rule stuff. It’s their thing, it’s how they keep the peoples righteous anger from their door steps. You are so close though and don’t worry it predates America by a long way.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
20 Oct 20

@kevcvs57 said
I’m not going to bother following a link that claims BLM and/or Antifa are the paramilitary wing of the Democrat party. But if you see anyone wearing a Qanon T-shirt they might be interested.
First, you say I lied - which does really piss me off.

I show you the proof in a link to show I am not lying. Pic after pic after pic.

You cop out by saying you're not going to look at the link because of "blah blah blah". Piss poor cop out, Kev

Hey Kev, pics don't lie!!

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Oct 20

@averagejoe1 said

Why don't you tell us.

Are you going to count the $1.6 million house that Eric Trump said he owns?

That's been debunked. Go on, how many other Republican fairy tales are you going to spew out now?

He bought that 10,000 sq. ft. home in the mid-70s for $185,000. He sold it in Feb. 1996 for $1.2 million. Biden has not served as a Senator since he left to serve as VP in 2009. In 2009, he had a net worth estimated at $27, 012.

SInce leaving office, he and his wife Jill (look her up) have earned more than $15 million from public speaking, teaching and writing. This information is available because, unlike Trump, Biden has disclosed his tax returns. In 2019, Forbes estimated Biden and his wife Jill were worth $9 million.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/10/19/fact-check-biden-no-longer-owns-house-eric-trump-highlighted-online/3703380001/

Now, you were saying?

Lake Como

Moves
20 Oct 20

@moonbus said
Of course politicians can have businesses on the side. What they should not do is favour them with contracts and permits because they happen to be in positions of power. Of course they can own golf course resorts; what they should not do is hold diplomatic conferences at their golf course resorts whereby they would have a private financial gain from the conference. Of course ...[text shortened]... assets are. That is why it pertains to good governance to make the tax returns of presidents public.
So, are you bureaucrats going to set up an agency to pore through all of the assets of the presidents and DECIDE when he is overstepping his bounds? Good luck with that. Be a bit realistic, please. So, should they have turned Ivanka around, or have a bureau employee looking over her shoulder? With power to shut her down? Are you really going to ramble about this when the Biden family is violating every ethical rule that they can, right in front of our eyes, collecting millions? Do you know that Joe has been taking cream off the top of Hunter's crap!?!???? Naivete' abounds.