Squad member wants to give 16 year olds the vote

Squad member wants to give 16 year olds the vote

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
164d
1 edit

@athousandyoung said
Buying votes is illegal and voting is secret
Are you saying it wouldn't happen?

When you were in high school, did you give a crap about who was in the White House? Did you ever think about it at all?

But I bet you wanted an Xbox.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
164d

@wajoma said
If on net they pay taxes.

I've often floated this idea. Your vote is weighted on how much tax you pay. Claiming pollies, goobermint bureaurats, and dole bludgers, beneficiaries and kaka bamboozles pay tax is false.

Stage 1: Anyone that receives more from the goobermint than they pay, loses their right to vote their hand into the pocket of others. Everyone e ...[text shortened]... appens to, all but, eliminate typical teenage scatter brains because they're not paying much anyway.
This is utterly stupid on the face of it.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
164d
2 edits

@wildgrass said
Err it's not how much you pay. Because that amount is dependent on the political system you are voting for or against.

Sixteen year olds participate in the system. They pay taxes. Why should they not have a vote?
Why can they not wait until they are 18?

They get full rights of adults, you know, when they become an adult.

Why tie other issues into this one? (Job, marriage, etc. )

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
164d

@wajoma said
I'm agreeeeeeinnnnng.

If people should be able to vote if they pay, then people that don't pay*** shouldn't be able to vote. That's logic, try some.

I'm agreeeeeeing.

***pollies, goobermint bureaurats, dole bludgers, beneficiaries, kaka bamboozles.
***people not of your voting ideology.

It's way too fine a line.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
164d

@earl-of-trumps said
@vivify said - Also something to ponder: 16 year olds can legally work and their
income is taxed. If they pay taxes, shouldn't that be consideration for a vote?

No.

But 16 year olds should not be taxed.
You would create another level of (non-)taxation?

That's another government function, to monitor this, Mr. Libertarian.

16-year-olds should be taxed like everyone else.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
164d
2 edits

@suzianne said
Are you saying it wouldn't happen?

When you were in high school, did you give a crap about who was in the White House? Did you ever think about it at all?

But I bet you wanted an Xbox.
When I was 16 I was a high school drop out working a minimum wage job. I had no interest in X boxes at the time. Anyway I was in college when the X box came out in 2002.

Are you saying people older than 18 don't have people trying to buy their votes but 16 year olds do?

https://congressionalresearch.org/SecretBallot.html

Beginning in the 1830s, the iconic symbol of democracy (as seen in many images below) was the transparent, glass globe, ballot box. But, in the late 1800s with partisanship, campaign finance and inequality soaring to all-time highs, the United States began to roll out the secret ballot. The intentions were clear. Proponents like John Stuart Mill claimed the secrecy of the ballot would curb the power of intimidating landlords and the rampant vote-buying funded by the wealthy.
Now embraced as a ‘cornerstone of modern democracy,’ the secret ballot brought an immediate reduction to election violence, intimidation and bribery.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
164d

@sh76 said
When the 2 people are comparably aged, that's one thing, but a 40 year old guy and a 14 year old girl? That's kinda rapey.

Age of consent laws generally apply to people not in the age group with someone in the age group, not when both are in the same age group.
And why is that? I'd say to prevent some type of psychological or physical harm to the younger person.

Could you describe what you feel are the dangers to the 16 and 17 year old that giving them a voice in their government might cause?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
164d
1 edit

@earl-of-trumps said
LOL - rights of people, yea right.
If the democrats are doing it, it is only because their party benefits by it.
you know they don't really give a hoot about America, right??
Party Party Party, that's all they care about
Jesus, you really are as hopelessly shallow a partisan hack as Average Joe.

Do you even have any type of intellectual philosophy at all?

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
164d

@jj-adams said
Just what we need:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/squad-member-ayanna-pressley-calls-for-allowing-incarcerated-citizens-and-16-year-olds-to-vote/ar-AA1l6PKL?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=00d28fc47d404b5caca23e478d3ac963&ei=21
Shocking. Old enough to drive a car, but not old enough to vote?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
164d

@vivify
I can see Taylor Swift for president....

rain

Moves
164d

@sonhouse said
@vivify
I can see Taylor Swift for president....
I'd take her over the current two choices.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
164d

@shavixmir said
Shocking. Old enough to drive a car, but not old enough to vote?
What is the voting age in Europe?

w

Moves
164d
1 edit

@earl-of-trumps said
@vivify said - Also something to ponder: 16 year olds can legally work and their
income is taxed. If they pay taxes, shouldn't that be consideration for a vote?

No.

But 16 year olds should not be taxed.
They'll need to be able to vote before this would be considered by politicians. It's kinda the whole point of the link between taxation and representation.

Moves
164d

@vivify said
There are some states where 16 yr olds can legally marry.
If you're a married 16 yr old, shouldn't you then have a right to vote?

Yes, 16 yr olds shouldn't be marrying in the first place; but given that some currently are, maybe a voting exception can be made for them?

Also something to ponder: 16 year olds can legally work and their income is taxed. If they pay taxes, shouldn't that be consideration for a vote?
1. No
2. No
3. No

Why would being married or working at McDonalds after school qualify someone to vote?

Lake Como

Moves
164d

@kewpie said
Politicians design the world our young people will have to live in. They're entitled to have a say in future-changing decision-making. After all, most of the people frequenting this forum won't be here in 2050.
They are entitled? Tell us what age that you think would qualify a person to vote. Personally, I would say a 6-yr old should vote on matters of marketing and advertising, and curriculum to be taught in their classrooms. Many other issues as well, I just mention the ones that pertain to the world they 'will have to live in'.
Oooohhhhhh Kewpie