Squad member wants to give 16 year olds the vote

Squad member wants to give 16 year olds the vote

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
178d

@vivify said
If you're a legally married 16 yr old who works and pays income taxes, you shouldn't vote...why?

You can be old enough to sign a legally binding marital contract but not vote?
I believe that where 16 year olds can legally marry, parental consent is required. They're not considered mature enough to make that decision unilaterally.

w

Moves
178d

@sh76 said
I believe that where 16 year olds can legally marry, parental consent is required. They're not considered mature enough to make that decision unilaterally.
It sounds like you're arguing in favor of 16 year olds voting with parental consent?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
178d
1 edit

@sh76 said
14 year olds can also work. That doesn't mean they're mature enough to vote.

16 year olds are not considered mature enough to consent to sex, because they're not fully developed, biologically or socially.
Of course, they are considered mature enough to be treated as adults in the US criminal justice systems and receive long prison sentences for various crimes usually requiring intent.

Our puritanical attitudes towards sex are a poor excuse for denying 16 and 17 year Olds the vote.

Lake Como

Moves
178d

@vivify said
If you're a legally married 16 yr old who works and pays income taxes, you shouldn't vote...why?

You can be old enough to sign a legally binding marital contract but not vote?
If my 11 year old child works in my office, stacking boxes, you are saying that he should be able to vote. And, Your comment about taxes is stupid. I could conversely say that if a 42 year old man is NOT working and is NOT paying taxes he should NOT be able to vote. Your comments are inane. However, your said comment is a PERFECT example of the failure of logic among ALL of the liberals on this site.

Lake Como

Moves
178d
1 edit

@no1marauder said
Of course, they are considered mature enough to be treated as adults in the US criminal justice systems and receive long prison sentences for various crimes usually requiring intent.

Our puritanical attitudes towards sex are a poor excuse for denying 16 and 17 year Olds the vote.
Sex, voting, smoking, prison, marriage, etc have different elements to determine appropriate actions.
Can't believe this really bad discussion, but hey, you fellers all ascribe to the squad, who, like you, view the world through rose colored glasses. You have no idea what is happening. !2,000 people crossed into Texas yesterday. Passport people really checked me out last month, coming in from Heathrow. Thankfully, I qualified to enter the UNITE STATES OF AMERICA. A wonderful feeling.

Lake Como

Moves
178d

@AverageJoe1
12,000. Just want to be sure you saw that. And you fret that Trump said he would close the border on Day One.....? Oh I know you were offfeeeennnnnnnnnnnddded that he said he would do what a dicator would do. Offennnnded about the way he said he would "Fulfill his oath of office, defending our country" which is being given the finger by Biden.
Do y'all just hate my truthful honest enlightening inarguable posts?

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
178d

@wildgrass said
It sounds like you're arguing in favor of 16 year olds voting with parental consent?
There are some cultures wherein the ability to marry at 16 or 17 is important. Parental consent is a decent compromise that allows this to happen.

There's no cultural imperative to allow children to choose the next President at an age that they're almost certainly not mature enough to understand the ramifications of that choice.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
178d
1 edit

@no1marauder said

"Our puritanical attitudes towards sex"?

Are you in favor of lowering the consent age to 16? What about 15? 14?

Lake Como

Moves
178d

@sh76 said
There are some cultures wherein the ability to marry at 16 or 17 is important. Parental consent is a decent compromise that allows this to happen.

There's no cultural imperative to allow children to choose the next President at an age that they're almost certainly not mature enough to understand the ramifications of that choice.
Look out, mentioning culture can confuse these people, they only know the R word.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
178d

Tell me those democrats aren't clever, eh?

Democratic lawmakers unveil bill to give people in US prisons right to vote

https://news.yahoo.com/democratic-lawmakers-unveil-bill-people-223538651.html

All they are doing is admitting that which we knew already,,, most criminals are DEMOCRATS. you go girls

Australian cat

Australia

Moves
178d

Politicians design the world our young people will have to live in. They're entitled to have a say in future-changing decision-making. After all, most of the people frequenting this forum won't be here in 2050.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
178d

@sh76 said
"Our puritanical attitudes towards sex"?

Are you in favor of lowering the consent age to 16? What about 15? 14?
Do you think people at that age don't have sex?

What is the upside of criminalizing it?

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
178d

@sh76 said
Let's put it this way.

If my daughter did have the vote, there is absolutely zero question that I could "buy" it by agreeing to get her that pair of overpriced Uggs slippers she wants or for that matter, for use of the car this weekend. She would vote for Mickey Mouse for either of those things without a second thought.
Buying votes is illegal and voting is secret

rain

Moves
178d

@averagejoe1 said
If my 11 year old child works in my office, stacking boxes, you are saying that he should be able to vote.
Can your 11 yr old legally enter the workforce? No. Can your 11 yr old legally get married? No.

Is your argument valid? No.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
178d

@earl-of-trumps said
Tell me those democrats aren't clever, eh?

Democratic lawmakers unveil bill to give people in US prisons right to vote

https://news.yahoo.com/democratic-lawmakers-unveil-bill-people-223538651.html

All they are doing is admitting that which we knew already,,, most criminals are DEMOCRATS. you go girls
Gee, tell us what part of your "libertarian" philosophy justifies the State taking away a person's right to vote just because they have committed a crime?