1. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    13 Jul '20 10:19
    @no1marauder which depicts a Klansman on horseback carrying a Confederate flag in one hand and a Betsy Ross flag in another.

A lot of this cancel culture stuff is guano. And I'll put the confederate flag aside,
    but are we to trash the Betsy Ross flag because the Klan clutches it?

There is a parallel here with the the number 88 (see $88 baseball thread)
    Are we supposed to ban the use of $88 because 88 is a codeword for white supremacists?

Silly thinking,
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Jul '20 11:13
    @no1marauder said
    When you put it that way, conservatives are even stupider and more petty for complaining about the failure to put a flag on a sneaker when that flag hasn't been used officially for more than 240 years. At least the "liberals" are dealing with a issue now.

But, in fact, various extremist right wing groups have used the Betsy Ross flag recently:

"It [the Betsy ...[text shortened]... "blessed" by his Presidency is a lot more rational than screeching about what is or isn't on a shoe.
    Identity Evropa is now the American Identity Movement?

Thanks for that heads up, I hadn't heard that.

These groups all tend to change their name when they get too much attention, but I missed this one. I've heard of AIM, but didn't get that it was the old IE.

There is activity here in Arizona especially from Patriot Front and Proud Boys and Firm 22 (some nasty pieces of work, there). Closer to home, I've run into Alliance Defending Freedom here locally, but they mainly hassle the LGBTQ crowd.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    13 Jul '20 14:421 edit
    @suzianne said

These groups all tend to change their name when they get too much attention, but I missed this one. I've heard of AIM, but didn't get that it was the old IE.

There is activity here in Arizona especially from Patriot Front and Proud Boys and Firm 22 (some nasty piec ...[text shortened]... home, I've run into Alliance Defending Freedom here locally, but they mainly hassle the LGBTQ crowd.
    The LGBTQ group here in Nova Scotia Have come along ways in the last 30 years. I recall their first parade had protesters hurling eggs at them, of course that didn't make the news internationally but was on the local news. Still a long way to go, but I am told by my friends in that community much better than it was.

-VR
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 03:44
    @very-rusty said
    The LGBTQ group here in Nova Scotia Have come along ways in the last 30 years. I recall their first parade had protesters hurling eggs at them, of course that didn't make the news internationally but was on the local news. Still a long way to go, but I am told by my friends in that community much better than it was.

-VR
    Nova Scotia?

Does that mean New Scotland or has it something to do with testicles?
  5. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 11:201 edit
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Kaep is a pro ball player getting paid $millions to play a sport.
    His paycheck is made possible from the people that watch the game, fans.

He's not picking a good time to protest. He should play ball, leave the national
    anthem and his fans alone.

When the game is over, he can protest all he wants. Nobody is stopping him
    from that.

Secondly, I never gave my ...[text shortened]... tting NFL football, which they have the right to do.

What's that...? shoe on the other foot, now?
    Perhaps they shouldn’t be devaluing the national Anthem by playing it every time a bunch of millionaires step out to play with a ball.
    It seems to me Americans are so disparate that they have to cling to the national anthem like a security blanket every chance they get to remind themselves that their Americans, it only makes sense to play your anthem when your playing a team from another country who in turn play their anthem.
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 11:35
    @earl-of-trumps said
    you just got reported again, bully boy. We'll see how long you last here.
    Soooo about this free speech thing earl, your not coming across as the massive fan your claiming to be.
  7. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 13:10
    @kevcvs57

Kev, the national anthem, in spirit, is played as a symbol, a gesture of togetherness.
    The left in America does not want this anymore because they want division.

Sad but true. No more "Us" - as a country
  8. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    15 Jul '20 13:12
    @kevcvs57

Not in here.

And if I could do likewise, maybe I would. But I can't. He can't either.
  9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    16 Jul '20 02:02
    @kevcvs57 said
    Perhaps they shouldn’t be devaluing the national Anthem by playing it every time a bunch of millionaires step out to play with a ball.
    It seems to me Americans are so disparate that they have to cling to the national anthem like a security blanket every chance they get to remind themselves that their Americans, it only makes sense to play your anthem when your playing a team from another country who in turn play their anthem.
    During World War II, the National Anthem was regularly sung before sporting events and certain public gatherings as a sign of patriotism. The custom has remained since then, though the patriotism may not always be apparent.
  10. S. Korea
    Moves
    16 Jul '20 02:35
    @suzianne said

There is activity here in Arizona especially from Patriot Front and Proud Boys and Firm 22 (some nasty piec ...[text shortened]... home, I've run into Alliance Defending Freedom here locally, but they mainly hassle the LGBTQ crowd.
    I do not know the details, bout Identity Evropa was honestly a European identitarian movement (hence the Evropa part), and it eventually did a name change to localize it for America.

But I am not that sure.

Regardless, the concept of identatarianism is interesting and I think that it can provide an interesting lens through which to look at political problems with fresh eyes.
  11. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    16 Jul '20 02:54
    @kevcvs57 said
    National chauvinism is as American as apple pie. And yet the US has nothing to be proud of these days. It has become the laughingstock of the world, with a "leader" to match.
  12. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    16 Jul '20 02:58
    @philokalia said

Regardless, the concept of identatarianism is interesting and I think that it can provide an interesting lens through which to look at political problems with fresh eyes.
    That you think you've stumbled on an original idea here is what is the true tragedy.
  13. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    16 Jul '20 04:23
    @earl-of-trumps said
    @kevcvs57

Kev, the national anthem, in spirit, is played as a symbol, a gesture of togetherness.

National anthems, flags and programmed patriotism are methods to create a sense of identity, so that the ruling classes can better herd you in the direction they want you.

Believe me, God is no more on your side than on Mexico’s or Turkey’s; you are no greater than the Dutch or the Italians; your borders are as meaningless as the Ukraine’s and Syria’s.

It’s all a fiction imprinted in your mind to create a false sense of group cohesion.

If you are an unemployed white American man with troubles paying your rent, you have more in common in life with a poor black teenage girl in the Congo than with Bill Gates.

Yet you wave your flags, hand on hearts and sing silly songs.
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    16 Jul '20 08:54
    https://i.redd.it/bhlsorysq3b51.jpg

The president of the Greatest Nation on Earth is now using the Oval Office to promote a specific product.

Good lord, America.
  15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    17 Jul '20 10:581 edit
    @earl-of-trumps said
    @kevcvs57

My point was that it shouldn’t be necessary earl, if it is, then you already have an issue.
    I think a big part of the problem is the American obsession with their own far in the past roots.
    Nearly everyone seems proud to be American, and so they should be, but if you scratch the surface you find an:- Anglo American, Irish American, Italian American, African American, Spanish American ad Infinitum.
    It’s like the obsession with the Anthem is the National equivalence of ‘whistling in the dark’. If it’s purpose is to unite and bond Americans in a meaningful way then it ain’t working no matter how tear’y eyed folks get.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree