1. S. Korea
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 23:33
    @no1marauder said
    This is basic right wing "snowflaking". IF you adopt the strategies we use against us, it is terrible "suppression" of some "right" that you don't really have.

American democracy is not threatened by people expressing their views and facing the consequences of doing so. It is threatened by right wing public policies like voter suppression, gerrymandering, etc. etc:

...[text shortened]... source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Understandingsociety+(UnderstandingSociety)&m=1
    (1) Name a famous conservative boycott movement that is supported by conservative celebrities, and not just somethign cooked up by a few dozen people on the internet....

Bonus if it is as trivial as they praised Obama!

(2) We all know that one of the major themes here is the worsening of American polarization and the significance is over how little has to be said to spur bimbo celebrities into protest.

Maurader cannot touch on this theme because he would have to begin attacking his own side.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 23:39
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Calling me a coward and a bigot??

NICE!!!

The new rules of hate speech have been in force long enough for you to know better.

I personally think you should get some time off in the bad boy corner. And I certainly will not even respond to your screed.

Yes, I reported you and I will continue to whenever you break the rules of RHP.

slanderous HATE SPEECH is not to be tolerated here at RHP
    Heh, thanks for letting everyone know what i called you. It would have been lost otherwise behind a "someone said something here that was removed"

Now everyone will wonder "hmm, is he a coward and a bigot?"
    What do you think their verdict will be?
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 23:52

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 23:581 edit
    @philokalia said
    (1) Name a famous conservative boycott movement that is supported by conservative celebrities, and not just somethign cooked up by a few dozen people on the internet....

(2) We all know that one of the major themes here is the worsening of American polarization and the significance is over how little has to be s ...[text shortened]... test.

Maurader cannot touch on this theme because he would have to begin attacking his own side.
    Nike. https://www.businessinsider.com/nike-betsy-ross-sneaker-conservative-boycott-after-withdrawal-2019-7

US national soccer team and NFL.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Jul '20 00:08
    @philokalia said

(2) We all know that one of the major themes here is the worsening of American polarization and the significance is over how little has to be s ...[text shortened]... test.

Actually, Goya said:

"“We’re all truly blessed at the same time to have a leader like President Trump,"

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/7/12/21320954/goya-foods-unanue-boycott-cancel-culture-free-speech

That fawning just doesn't sit well with a lot of Hispanics considering Trump's oft-shown outright hostility to them.
  6. S. Korea
    Moves
    13 Jul '20 00:37
    @no1marauder said
    Actually, Goya said:

"“We’re all truly blessed at the same time to have a leader like President Trump,"

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/7/12/21320954/goya-foods-unanue-boycott-cancel-culture-free-speech

That fawning just doesn't sit well with a lot of Hispanics considering Trump's oft-shown outright hostility to them.
    What outright hostility?
  7. SubscriberEarl of Trumpsonline
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    13 Jul '20 00:50
    @zahlanzi said
    Heh, thanks for letting everyone know what i called you. It would have been lost otherwise behind a "someone said something here that was removed"

Now everyone will wonder "hmm, is he a coward and a bigot?"
    What do you think their verdict will be?
    you just got reported again, bully boy. We'll see how long you last here.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Jul '20 00:51
    @philokalia said
    What outright hostility?
    A judge couldn't give a fair decision in a case because he was "Mexican".

""When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best."
    "They're sending people that have a lot of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

He fought against sending relief aid to Puerto Rico after a hurricane, exaggerated the amount that was sent and then wanted to sell it. https://www.winknews.com/2020/07/12/trump-considered-selling-puerto-rico-following-hurricane-maria-former-acting-homeland-security-chief-says/

Then there's the whole "kids in cages" thingy.

I could go on but you have been awake for the last 3 and a half years, haven't you?
  9. S. Korea
    Moves
    13 Jul '20 00:54
    @no1marauder said
    Nike. https://www.businessinsider.com/nike-betsy-ross-sneaker-conservative-boycott-after-withdrawal-2019-7

US national soccer team and NFL.
    Wow, that's right, yes:

Sen. Ted Cruz and others boycotted Nike in 2019 for the specific reason that they pulled a shoe that honored the American flag and history after it was criticized by Kaeperneck.

It seems like a pretty clear issue -- a charge of being unpatriotic for an obvious thing that they did which is controversial, and the conservatives appear to have got somethign done.

How does this compare to the Goya boycott, to you?
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Jul '20 00:59
    @philokalia said
    Wow, that's right, yes:

Sen. Ted Cruz and others boycotted Nike in 2019 for the specific reason that they pulled a shoe that honored the American flag and history after it was criticized by Kaeperneck.

It seems like a pretty clear issue -- a charge of being unpatriotic for an obvious thing that they did which is controversial, and the conservatives appear to have got somethign done.

How does this compare to the Goya boycott, to you?
    It's the same thing; right wingers wanted to boycott Nike because they did something that they didn't like.

Some Hispanic leaders and groups have proposed a boycott of Goya because it's CEO said the country was "blessed" to have as President an individual who is openly hostile to Hispanics.

I'd say the Nike boycott looked a lot more petty.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Jul '20 01:04
    @earl-of-trumps said
    you just got reported again, bully boy. We'll see how long you last here.
    why? Because i am wondering what people would answer to "is he a bigot and a coward"? Because i asked you what do you think their answer would be?

You haven't answered btw.
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    13 Jul '20 03:47
    @zahlanzi said
    it's a thing that popped up on twitter

Because Chrissy Teigen, decently famous model and married to John Legend, gives a copulation (almost used a naughty word) about canned beans.
    Lota of things pop up in twitter....
    I try to ignore every single one if them. The twitter community is the most obnoxious bunch of extremists that the world has known for a long time.

They act like their opinion matters and what’s worse people act like twitter matters.
    Something that should not have happened in the first place, but now definately needs a dagger thrust into it and jolted around.

Imagine this forum being given the same attention as twitter. That’s what that is.
  13. S. Korea
    Moves
    13 Jul '20 04:05
    @no1marauder said
    It's the same thing; right wingers wanted to boycott Nike because they did something that they didn't like.

Some Hispanic leaders and groups have proposed a boycott of Goya because it's CEO said the country was "blessed" to have as President an individual who is openly hostile to Hispanics.

I'd say the Nike boycott looked a lot more petty.
    The action is the same, but the motive is different.

Conservatives boycotted Nike for canceling a shoe that simply showed a classic American flag on it -- a historic symbol that people associate with the glory of our country.

The Liberals are trying to organize a boycott of a man who simply said we're all blessed that the current President is the President.

You'd agree that the difference here is pretty stark, yeh?
  14. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    13 Jul '20 04:27
    @philokalia said

Conservatives boycotted Nike for canceling a shoe that simply showed a classic American flag on it -- a historic symbol that people associate with the glory of our country.

The Liberals are trying to organize a boycott of a man who simply said we're all blessed that the current President is the President.

There is no difference.

Just because you add a justification and a slanted historical context to one, and avoid context to the other, doesn’t make them different.

You can quite easily say:

Conservatives boycotted Nike, because they disagreed with Nike removing a symbol of racist attitudes and oppression of blacks.

And liberals are trying to boycott a man who defends a narcissistic, racist, sexist liar.

You’d agree it’s rather clear what the right’s agenda is, wouldn’t you?
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Jul '20 05:34
    @philokalia said

When you put it that way, conservatives are even stupider and more petty for complaining about the failure to put a flag on a sneaker when that flag hasn't been used officially for more than 240 years. At least the "liberals" are dealing with a issue now.

But, in fact, various extremist right wing groups have used the Betsy Ross flag recently:

"It [the Betsy Ross flag] has, however, been associated with the Patriot Movement, an anti-government, extremist right-wing movement that encompasses smaller fringe movements such as the militia movement, the sovereign citizen movement, and the tax protest movement. (Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh was highly influenced by militia movement ideology.) The militia movement, says Pitcavage, is the youngest of the three, dating from about the mid-1990s, and has been using the Betsy Ross flag, among other Revolutionary War-era symbols, since its inception. “Because they view themselves as analogous to American revolutionaries, they love to use old flags from that era,” he says, citing the Revolutionary War-era “don’t tread on me” flag as another example. The Betsy Ross flag is apparently so closely identified with the Patriot Movement that until this morning, it was the main image of its Wikipedia page, according to reporter Charles Robinson. (It has since been removed, but is viewable on a cached version of the webpage.)

While the white supremacist movement and the Patriot movement are not synonymous, there is some overlap between the two. The flag has also been used or reinterpreted by groups like the American Identity Movement (formerly Identity Evropa) and Patriot Front, both of which have been classified as hate groups by the SPLC and were founded within the past few years. Pitcavage says that the Knight Riders, a now-defunct West Virginia-based Ku Klux Klan group, at one point required that every chapter of the group had to use either the Confederate flag or the Betsy Ross flag to cover the “altar” during meetings with Klan rituals; most recently, the Betsy Ross flag was depicted in a 2018 flier allegedly distributed in upstate New York for the United Northern & Southern Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, which depicts a Klansman on horseback carrying a Confederate flag in one hand and a Betsy Ross flag in another. Such groups “[brand] themselves in the trappings of Americana with the aim of creating a more marketable image for their dedication to creating an all-white nation,” says Hankes."

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/betsy-ross-flag-nike-colin-kaepernick-patriot-movement-ku-klux-klan-854612/

I doubt that most people have even seen a Betsy Ross flag, never mind associate it "with the glory of our country." By contrast, most Hispanics are aware of the types of positions Donald Trump has publicly taken that are hostile to Hispanics and thus a boycott of a company who's CEO said the country is "blessed" by his Presidency is a lot more rational than screeching about what is or isn't on a shoe.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree