1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Jan '20 08:15
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Maybe so, maybe no.

I catch the stage musical Phantom of the Opera every time it comes through Phoenix.

I enjoy this as much as I enjoy Cats.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jan '20 19:371 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Houston, TX
    Moves
    21 Jan '20 02:112 edits
    I enjoy the stage version, and it is Cats in the pure form. However, the stage version does a poor job of telling the (albeit thin) story. The movie develops the story better with Victoria as a central narrator, but overall the movie is deficient in in the musical/dance numbers. Rum Tum Tugger, what can I say, except his screen agent should be fired (he's barely noticeable!) Overall, a newbie to cats may prefer the better plot development in the movie, but I find the stage version (now that I know the story!) to be better.

One more thing: When "popular" singers are used in place of those with strong stage voices you get less good singing. The clarity and diction of singing in character was (at best) barely average for a stage performance. So be it, and it is one of the warts that comes with a screen adaptation.

Regarding the Phantom comments above, I thought the movie was good. Not as good as the stage version, which (when well done) is a true masterpiece of music and performance. That is also one of the problems with Cats - which is trying to be worthy of comparison to the stage version. So it fell a little short, and I think it became trendy for the critics to pan it. Regardless, the music is still good. Skimbleshanks has a great number. It is what it is, and there are some silver linings. Enjoy it for what it is, don't hate it for what it isn't.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jan '20 00:36

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree