1. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    21 Feb '22 19:58
    @ktadaddy said
    @Gambrel
    Not sure these go back far enough to be considered "classic TV", but - Barney Miller.
    Taxi.
    Here's a little TAXI gem!
    YouTube&list=PLHE9gVmXFiuQ8BHOc0HHxghlxeCgNaRZQ
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    22 Feb '22 12:43
    @gambrel said
    Victor Sen Yung was a great actor, known primarily for his role of Hop Sing on Bonanza. Victor also played Charlie Chan's "numba one son."
    In 1972 Victor was on a flight and the plane was hijacked
    FBI stormed the plane and in the ensuing gunfight 3 passengers were hit, one died, Victor survived his gunshot would in his back. Victor passed away in 1980.
    Thank you!

I found another deightful site:

https://www.metv.com/stories/the-actor-who-played-bonanzas-hop-sing-actually-was-an-acclaimed-chef

I am happy that I read:

Victor was just absolutely delightful. He loved the part; he loved doing it.
  3. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    22 Feb '22 23:58
    @ponderable said
    Thank you!

I found another deightful site:

https://www.metv.com/stories/the-actor-who-played-bonanzas-hop-sing-actually-was-an-acclaimed-chef

I am happy that I read:

Victor was just absolutely delightful. He loved the part; he loved doing it.
    MeTV site is one I read often
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Feb '22 00:24
    @gambrel said
    What classic TV shows do you love?
    YouTube

I got a secret.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Mar '22 19:27
    @gambrel said
    Knight Rider
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Mar '22 19:51
    @gambrel said
    I always liked Wild, Wild West with Robert Conrad.

Also Have Gun, Will Travel with Richard Boone.
  7. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    12 Mar '22 20:01
    @suzianne said
    I always liked Wild, Wild West with Robert Conrad.

Also Have Gun, Will Travel with Richard Boone.
    Conrad is largely disliked locally. It goes back to their filming of Centennial around our area. He was arrested at least twice for fighting and drunkenness.
    I like him best in Black Sheep Squadron.
    Richard Boone was a great one.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Mar '22 09:32
    @gambrel said
    Conrad is largely disliked locally. It goes back to their filming of Centennial around our area. He was arrested at least twice for fighting and drunkenness.
    I like him best in Black Sheep Squadron.
    Richard Boone was a great one.
    Robert Conrad often seemed like a right arrogant SoB to me, but I liked the depiction of a "government man" like a James Bond of the old west. He was also good in Black Sheep Squadron. The dogfight scenes always fascinated me.
  9. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    17 Mar '22 01:58
    @suzianne said
    Robert Conrad often seemed like a right arrogant SoB to me, but I liked the depiction of a "government man" like a James Bond of the old west. He was also good in Black Sheep Squadron. The dogfight scenes always fascinated me.
    Conrad did a good job playing Greg Boynton. Boynton worked as advisor on the series. But Conrad looked nothing like the real Pappy. Boynton received a Medal of Honor after being shot down, believed dead, then coming back. Pappy had 28 kills making him top ace in the USMC.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Mar '22 08:562 edits
    @gambrel said
    Conrad did a good job playing Greg Boynton. Boynton worked as advisor on the series. But Conrad looked nothing like the real Pappy. Boynton received a Medal of Honor after being shot down, believed dead, then coming back. Pappy had 28 kills making him top ace in the USMC.
    I have a book recommendation you might enjoy.

Baa Baa Black Sheep by Gregory Boyington. I have this in paperback, and I've read it a few times through. It's a great read. The copyright says 1958, though, so not sure if you can even find it anymore (maybe on Amazon, or something). Check your local library too. I found this copy in excellent condition at a used-book sale.

And check this out, too.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20160304030945/http://www.mcu.usmc.mil/historydivision/Documents/Fortitudine/Fortitudine%20Vol%2035%20No%201.pdf

There is a somewhat lengthy article in this magazine called "Boyington and Combat Leadership" by Dr. Fred H. Allison.
  11. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    18 Mar '22 01:10
    @Suzianne
    I read Baa Baa.. in highschool. It was a requirement for a WWII history class. That clued me into the show etc.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Mar '22 04:06
    @gambrel said
    @Suzianne
    I read Baa Baa.. in highschool. It was a requirement for a WWII history class. That clued me into the show etc.
    Nice, kudos to your instructor.

I had to read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer for my US History class.
  13. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    19 Mar '22 15:23
    I've gotten into "lesser known" Westerns over the years. One of my favorites is Annie Oakley with Gayle Davis. It's corny and campy but fun IMO. Davis was Gene Autry's mistress. She did all her own stunts. She was an expert rider and shooter.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Mar '22 06:31
    @gambrel said
    I've gotten into "lesser known" Westerns over the years. One of my favorites is Annie Oakley with Gayle Davis. It's corny and campy but fun IMO. Davis was Gene Autry's mistress. She did all her own stunts. She was an expert rider and shooter.
    Nice! Too bad I missed that. I suppose it would be hard to find today.
  15. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    20 Mar '22 07:101 edit
    @suzianne said
    Nice! Too bad I missed that. I suppose it would be hard to find today.
    There's tons on YouTube
    Gene Autry produced it. At the time there was The Lone Ranger and Roy Rogers. He wanted a western hero for little girls.

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree