chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    17 Mar '22 11:21
    @suzianne said
    FREE BRITTNEY!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60701050
    For all people like me who are not closely following basketball:

Brittney Griner a pro basketball player ("arguably the greatest female basket ball player of all time"😉 has been arrested in Moscow "apparently on drug charges".

The whole affair seems quite intransparent and I agree with Holly Honderich, the writer of the linked article, that the uproar would have been gigantic if a male player of the same relative caliber would have suffered that.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    17 Mar '22 14:37
    @ponderable said
    The whole affair seems quite intransparent and I agree with Holly Honderich, the writer of the linked article, that the uproar would have been gigantic if a male player of the same relative caliber would have suffered that.
    I don't think it's a matter of male or female, it's more a matter of level of fame. Female basketball players just don't have anywhere near the notoriety of male players. I've been an NBA fan since I was ten years old, and even I've never heard of this woman.

It's not a matter of male or female, it's about level of fame; if this was Serena Williams or Simone Biles, all hell would break loose.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Mar '22 15:36
    I was gonna say Britney got free of her Dad already wtf
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Mar '22 17:16
    @vivify said
    I don't think it's a matter of male or female, it's more a matter of level of fame. Female basketball players just don't have anywhere near the notoriety of male players. I've been an NBA fan since I was ten years old, and even I've never heard of this woman.

It's not a matter of male or female, it's about level of fame; if this was Serena Williams or Simone Biles, all hell would break loose.
    At the same time, if she was paid as much as the male players of her sport, perhaps she wouldn't have had to supplement her income playing for a Russian team in the off-season.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    18 Mar '22 18:332 edits
    @suzianne said
    At the same time, if she was paid as much as the male players of her sport, perhaps she wouldn't have had to supplement her income playing for a Russian team in the off-season.
    I brought this point up in a thread I made about the WNBA, that female athletes can't really support themselves on just their salaries from basketball, and have to go overseas.

This fact keeps women from focusing more on their sport (especially if the need employment outside of their sport) and they train less as a result, resulting in a negative feedback loop where sports fans are less interested in watching them, generating less revenue for the league, and lower salaries.

But even in sports where women generate just as much revenue, they're still paid less, like in U.S. women's soccer. Their ratings (and accomplishments) far surpassed the U.S. men's team, but they still were paid less. So unfortunately, higher ratings and better performance don't guarantee better pay for women, which is an immense injustice.

But there is hope. Serena makes a lot more from endorsements than most male tennis stars; Rhonda Rousey was the highest paid UFC athlete, male or female.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Mar '22 08:52
    @vivify said
    I brought this point up in a thread I made about the WNBA, that female athletes can't really support themselves on just their salaries from basketball, and have to go overseas.

This fact keeps women from focusing more on their sport (especially if the need employment outside of their sport) and they train less as a result, resulting in a negative feedback loop where sport ...[text shortened]... sements than most male tennis stars; Rhonda Rousey was the highest paid UFC athlete, male or female.
    I don't think any of this excuses Russla from holding her indefinitely.
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    22 Mar '22 13:00
    @suzianne said
    I don't think any of this excuses Russla from holding her indefinitely.
    Of course it doesn't.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree