Why

Why

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
15 Nov 14

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
... does man ask why?
Because the woman said so.

Mother fixation!

😀

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
16 Nov 14

Your claim that evolution pushes us to pursue an answer when none exists lacks a purpose for the drive.
You may as well claim that evolution pushes us for any number of frivolous or otherwise unnecessary aims.
I think at some level all our desires and aims, whether
frivolous or a matter of survival - have some basis in
traits we have inherited thanks to natural selection.

You have another theory?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
16 Nov 14

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Three answers
1. Why not.

2. Because if he didn't you would be asking "Why doesn't man ask why?"

3. Because we are all looking for God.
Surely in case (2) where humanity has no intrinsic curiosity people wouldn't be asking the question "Why doesn't man ask why?" as there'd be no motivation to ask any question.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
16 Nov 14

Originally posted by DeepThought
Surely in case (2) where humanity has no intrinsic curiosity people wouldn't be asking the question "Why doesn't man ask why?" as there'd be no motivation to ask any question.
Yes "2" is as stupid as the other 2 answers. 😀

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
16 Nov 14

Originally posted by JS357
Why do people ask rhetorical questions?
Why is it important that the reach of man exceeds his grasp ?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Nov 14

Originally posted by caissad4
Why is it important that the reach of man exceeds his grasp ?
"Speak as they please, what does the mountain care?
Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp,
Or what's a heaven for?"

(from Andrea del Sarto by Robert Browning)

Embodies the sentiment that striving to know is the modus operandi of realizing maximum human happiness and fulfillment

F

Moves
16 Nov 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Embodies the sentiment that striving to know is the modus operandi of realizing maximum human happiness and fulfillment
Yes, and this striving is a natural product of the human spirit's faculties and capacities. It is therefore part and parcel of the human condition.

I would contend, however, that the pre-fabricated jumble of thought-ending short cuts, folk tales and allegories that religions and religious doctrines offer to the human spirit put an end to a lot of meaningful striving and replace it, tragically, with a lot of meaningless "technocratic" regurgitation.

In so far as it is harmless, I accept its harmlessness. In so far as it is a personal preference, I accept that it brings personal philosophical comfort to many.

But to me, dwelling on anthropological and psychological phenomena like religions and "answers" involving instructions issued by supernatural beings seems like the human spirit misdirected, underemployed, squandered, and settling for a lot less than what it is capable of. 🙂

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Nov 14

Originally posted by FMF
Yes, and this striving is a natural product of the human spirit's faculties and capacities. It is therefore part and parcel of the human condition.

I would contend, however, that the pre-fabricated jumble of thought-ending short cuts, folk tales and allegories that religions and religious doctrines offer to the human spirit put an end to a lot of meaningful ...[text shortened]... sdirected, underemployed, squandered, and settling for a lot less than what it is capable of. 🙂
"religions" per se have always been, still are and will always be antithetical to biblical truth... no matter how many Christians mess things up for themselves, their families and friends by remaining ignorant infants rather than growing in grace.

F

Moves
16 Nov 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
"religions" per se have always been, still are and will always be antithetical to biblical truth... no matter how many Christians mess things up for themselves, their families and friends by remaining ignorant infants rather than growing in grace.
It's good that the human spirit's faculties and capacities allow each of us to strive for insight and understanding without simply settling for "biblical truth" as you (and many other contributors here) seem to have. To me, your soft little barbs about dissenters "remaining ignorant infants" and them not "growing in grace", seem to betray a degree of ignorance about the spiritual paths that people unlike you tread, and ~ for that reason ~ one could be forgiven for thinking you exhibit rather a lack of grown-up "grace" yourself.

Cape Town

Moves
16 Nov 14

Your claim that evolution pushes us to pursue an answer when none exists lacks a purpose for the drive.
You may as well claim that evolution pushes us for any number of frivolous or otherwise unnecessary aims.
I do claim that evolution pushes us for any number of frivolous or otherwise unnecessary aims. The purpose for the drive however is not frivolous the purpose is to encourage us to seek answers at all times regardless of whether or not an answer exists.
Similarly evolution has caused us to be strongly attracted to members of the opposite sex, yet this attraction still exists even when we are married and in other circumstances when the attraction might be said to serve no useful purpose. It even goes wrong such as in the case of gay people. (no I am not saying gay people are 'wrong' I am saying their attractions are not what evolution intended).
I think blind evolution explains the situation far better than invoking a malevolent God figure who just wanted us to be promiscuous or gay.

Cape Town

Moves
16 Nov 14

Originally posted by sonship
You just did promote your own asnwer -

Because we have evolved to do so.
Yes I did. And your point is?
Reread my post a bit more carefully this time.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
16 Nov 14

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Three answers
1. Why not.

2. Because if he didn't you would be asking "Why doesn't man ask why?"

3. Because we are all looking for God.
God found me. I found God.

Just can't believe that can you? You might say something like, "you think you found God, but are really only delusional".

Cape Town

Moves
16 Nov 14

Originally posted by josephw
God found me. I found God.

Just can't believe that can you? You might say something like, "you think you found God, but are really only delusional".
The real question is how do you know whether or not you are delusional?
If you find two people with different incompatible religions, then surely one of them is delusional. But how does one determine which one, and how does one convince them of it?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
19 Nov 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
The real question is how do you know whether or not you are delusional?
If you find two people with different incompatible religions, then surely one of them is delusional. But how does one determine which one, and how does one convince them of it?
"The real question is how do you know whether or not you are delusional?"

Assuming you are asking that question rhetorically, I'd say you are asking exactly the right question. How do we know whether or not it is delusional to believe in the existence of a creator God, and all that that implies, or not to believe?

I think that would depend on how one defines delusional. If you asked me I'd say we're all delusional to one degree or another. We all dream dreams. We all build our lives based on the truth as we understand it. I think we all fall into the norm for the most part, but when we talk about whether or not there is a creator God, if one exists, someone of us is delusional to the degree that his or her whole life is seriously effected by the outcome, at least as far as Biblical terminology is concerned.

The test to see whether one is delusional or not is not going to be administered by science. Science has enough on it's hands answering questions related to the material universe, than to be concerned with the supernatural or spiritual matters of life.

Science is, for all intents and purposes, out of it's league concerning the spiritual aspects of life.

You might ask then, how does theology test for delusion, since creation, and the existence of God and matters spiritual appears to be it's domain of expertise?

By faith. The test is faith.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
19 Nov 14

Originally posted by josephw

Science is, for all intents and purposes, out of it's league concerning the spiritual aspects of life.

This is not true.
Religion/faith/delusion/hallucination all these things are being
better understood by psychologists and neuro-scientists.

One day soon your delusions will be completely explainable.