Why I don't believe the Bible

Why I don't believe the Bible

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
01 Apr 11
2 edits

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
contrive? plueeeze, the events are well known and were recorded hundreds of years
ago. My head hurts and i need to rest.
Yeah but those events you talk about here were arranged by humans after reading the so-called prophecy. Hardly compelling. On the otherhand if you were to show me something like:

On June 1917 a great blight shall befall the Earth
a three year curse named after Spain that will strike down 3% of the worlds population.
No less than 50 million will die, and half a billion will be affected. More lives it shall take than in the world war which occurs at the same time
but less than in a second world war 20 years later

Something like that would shake my faith in the LoTR :]

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
01 Apr 11

contrive? plueeeze, the events are well known and were recorded hundreds of years
ago. My head hurts and i need to rest.
I decided to check to see if there was any improvement since
I left. At least, they seemed to have stopped this evolution
nonsense. But the mocking of the Holy Bible is something you
could expect from heathens. If they were really interested in
determining the truth of the Holy Bible, they could consult the
enormous amount of research material available. My advice
to you is to discontinue any attempt to bring these heathens to
salvation and let God give them over to a reprobate or depraved
mind as in Romans 1:28. Do not agonize over them, but be
content in the knowledge of you attempt and that you will receive
a reward from God. I do not intend to post anymore, so there is
no need to reply. These heathens are not worth our effort. Let
God take care of them, for good or for bad.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
01 Apr 11
1 edit

RJHinds said to you:
enormous amount of research material available. My advice
to you is to discontinue any attempt to bring these heathens to
salvation and let God give them over to a reprobate or depraved
mind as in Romans 1:28. Do not agonize over them, but be
content in the knowledge of you attempt and that you will receive
a reward from God. I do not intend to post anymore, so there is
no need to reply. These heathens are not worth our effort. Let

and behold!!!
That which was foreseen has now come to pass in the manner which I described!!! 😵
Definitive proof that the inspiration I draw from the LoTR is well placed!

w

Moves
01 Apr 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Penguin
[b]Unfortunately, Robbie does make valid points against the Lord Of The Rings analogy. There are some events, people and places mentioned in the Bible for which there is non-biblical evidence. There are none at all in TLoTR.
There is Biblical Archeology. There is no Lord of the Rings Archeology.

The existence of the Phillistines is a prime example. Other than the Bible there was no historical evidence of them. However, they escavated where the Bible said they were and buda bing, there they are!!

There are also profound prophesies. One of the greatest is Daneil 9:24-27 where the Messiah is predicted to come the first time some 500 years later. Then, budda bing, 500 passed and Christ was born.

There is no question that the prophesy was written 500 years prior to Christ's appearance, nor is there any question that the prophesy that it is a calendar of his coming. The only point of contention is the calculation of the prophesy. Some say it is a little off. However, rabbis in the Talmud calcualted it to the time of Christ and they are experts in the language and have no reason to make it look as if it came to pass because they reject Christ as the Messiah.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
01 Apr 11

where would you find the tree of knowledge, its a past event, in the garden of Eden, where else?
Is there a real tree in this event, or a metaphor?

😕😲

-m.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
01 Apr 11
2 edits

Originally posted by RJHinds
enormous amount of research material availab ...[text shortened]... ply. These heathens are not worth our effort. Let
We are heathens? (fk*n old Adage word)

Define heathen please, you of almighty posture.

-MIKE!

I'm on your case now, as you are proposterously bent.

You take issue with atheists, as if they don't know spiritual sensitivity or empathy. You lack in the LATTER. You are on the losing stripe.

Are you a deamon? It would seem you are one of those deamons on the top of a Cathedral...... but, alas, doesn't keep us 'heathens' away.

-m. 😀

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
01 Apr 11

lame excuses, pure lamebo!

Biblical prophecy can be corroborated through archaeology, Christ did prophecy that
Jerusalem would be destroyed and it was, but nooo real archaeological evidence for
the Lord of the Rings prophecies, oh there there, it must be a hard pill to swallow for a
bad ol putty cat.

As for it being nonsense, nope, you cannot state that, all you can state is, that to you, it
seems improbable.
Biblical prophecy cannot be corroborated through archaeology. It cannot be demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt that any biblical prophecies were made prior to the events they prophesied. I do wish you'd stop trying to subvert good archaeological data to try to support your position. If there existed convincing evidence for the 'god' argument, that would obviate the need for faith which is, I am given to understand, requisite - is that not so?

And yes, since I do not disbelieve in god, I guess that makes my position agnostic.

rc

Moves
01 Apr 11

Originally posted by mikelom
Is there a real tree in this event, or a metaphor?

😕😲

-m.
Was there a real Garden of Eden?, evidently so.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
01 Apr 11

Was there a real Garden of Eden?, evidently so.
Apparently it was a real garden. In Jerusalem, of all places. And Adam was a king. This must be true 'cos some hot chick said so on the telly last night.

rc

Moves
01 Apr 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
enormous amount of research material availab ...[text shortened]... ply. These heathens are not worth our effort. Let
Yes this is in fact true, but our dear friend Agers may in fact learn something after all,
for in this instance he has been practically forced to admit that he cannot state that
events which are recorded in scripture are impossible, all he can state is that
according to his knowledge at present, they seem, to him, improbable. His attempts to
make the Lord of the Rings synonymous with scripture are in vain, it is a desperate
attempt to disparage the ancient and sacred text.

rc

Moves
01 Apr 11
2 edits

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
Apparently it was a real garden. In Jerusalem, of all places. And Adam was a king. This must be true 'cos some hot chick said so on the telly last night.
sooo you believe everything you watch on the television if presented by a pretty girl,
meh, who can blame ya!, damnable BBC, they know nothing about scripture, nor the
Bible.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
01 Apr 11
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey
There is Biblical Archeology. There is no Lord of the Rings Archeology.

The existence of the Phillistines is a prime example. Other than the Bible there was no historical evidence of them. However, they escavated where the Bible said they were and buda bing, there they are!!

There are also profound prophesies. One of the greatest is Daneil 9:24-27 w have no reason to make it look as if it came to pass because they reject Christ as the Messiah.
If I was an atheist I would ask what is so persuasive about the Biblical account of the Philistines or any other supposed 'archaeological evidence for the Bible; but alas I cannot because my faith in the writings of Tolkein forces me to accept such findings would only have been found via the mischief of Saruman who has planted false evidence all over the shop anyway. Admittedly most of it seems to vindicate the theory of Evolution, and undermine fundamentalist Christianity but we must always have faith in the true text - the LoTR.

As for LoTR archaeology - it would be a bit silly to organise digs and searches when it is true that the old world has been forever changed by Gandalf! One must have faith in the books I espouse and with an objective view of the texts they will see it is all true.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
01 Apr 11
3 edits

Yes this is in fact true, but our dear friend Agers may in fact learn something after all,
for in this instance he has been practically forced to admit that he cannot state that
events which are recorded in scripture are impossible, all he can state is that
according to his knowledge at present, they seem, to him, improbable. His attempts to
...[text shortened]... ith scripture are in vain, it is a desperate
attempt to disparage the ancient and sacred text.
If you came up with half decent prophecies and evidence for your god I'd be more receptive to your claims (if I were not sure that Saruman played his part in the precedings), the stuff you're throwing at me are a bit crap tbh - Nowhere near as good and as compelling as the prophecy I made earlier which has already come true! I'm afraid at the moment I find it more plausible that Middle Earth existed and having cast aside my unhobbitly atheism, I say the claims made by people of all contrary positions are either false or misguided.

g

Moves
01 Apr 11

Originally posted by mikelom
2. Bible mentions real events, the Jewish diaspora for example, does lord of the
rings not also mention events, are they corroborated outside of its text?

Real events? Corroborated?

So Moses parted the seas with a stick?

Jeez, he must have been the David Copperfield of his day, what? 😀

-m.
.....and the LORD caused the sea to go back by a strong east wind all night, and made the sea dry land, and the waters were divided.

rc

Moves
01 Apr 11

Originally posted by Agerg
If you came up with half decent prophecies and evidence for your god I'd be more receptive to your claims (if I were not sure that Saruman played his part in the precedings), the stuff you're throwing at me are a bit crap tbh - Nowhere near as good and as compelling as the prophecy I made earlier which has already come true! I'm afraid at the moment I find it ...[text shortened]... ism, I say the claims made by people of all contrary positions are either false or misguided.
desperado! we shall look at a prophecy in detail soon enough, i am just up, having had a migraine earlier.