Why do some Christians think Catholics...

Why do some Christians think Catholics...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
17 Jun 18

Originally posted by @secondson
You have a pinheaded perspective of scripture.

John 5:17,18
But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.
¶ Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

Hebrews 1:1-3
God, who at sundry times and in divers manner ...[text shortened]... ower, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
Let me restate

Where did JESUS say he was God.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Jun 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @fmf
I am not asking you whether you reckon the question is "moot". For what theological reasons do some Christians believe that Catholics will not be "saved"? Some go further and view the Catholic Church as a "Satanic" cult. What are their theological justifications for such a view?
Without pointing fingers at any denomination or people, how do you define a cult? Serious question because we have seen large numbers kill themselves due to someone. So how is a cult recognized?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
17 Jun 18

Originally posted by @kellyjay
Without pointing fingers at any denomination or people, how do you define a cult? Serious question because we have seen large numbers kill themselves due to someone. So how is a cult recognized?
A cult is only recognized when their beliefs lead them to do something that's practically stupid.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Jun 18

Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
A cult is only recognized when their beliefs lead them to do something that's practically stupid.
I am more of the opinion is that they start following a person and place him/her as the single source of truth.

c

Moves
17 Jun 18

Originally posted by @rajk999
In like manner, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefastness and sobriety; not with braided hair, and gold or pearls or costly raiment; but (which becometh women professing godliness) through good works. Let a woman learn in quietness with all subjection. But I permit not a woman to teach, nor to have dominion over a man, but to [b]be in quietness. (1 Timothy 2:9-12 ASV)[/b]
Are you telling Suzianne to be quiet??

Lol, this should be good.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
17 Jun 18

I am more of the opinion is that they start following a person and place him/her as the single source of truth.
Following someone other than Jesus Christ. would be more accurate
Sonship has placed Witness Lee on a pedestal. that is a cult
JWs have done the same with Charles Russel

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
17 Jun 18

Originally posted by @chaney3
Are you telling Suzianne to be quiet??

Lol, this should be good.
Me? I quoted Paul.

c

Moves
17 Jun 18

Me? I quoted Paul.
Even better, lol.

Think she'll comply??

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Jun 18

Following someone other than Jesus Christ. would be more accurate
Sonship has placed Witness Lee on a pedestal. that is a cult
JWs have done the same with Charles Russel
If they put them above Christ and scripture I’d agree with you.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
17 Jun 18

Originally posted by @chaney3
Even better, lol.

Think she'll comply??
She believes Paul was sent by God to preach.

F

Moves
17 Jun 18

You need to ask not me but those who view the Catholic Church as a "Satanic" cult.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
17 Jun 18

Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
Denominational tribalism.
Ding, Ding. I think we have a winner here ! 😀

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
17 Jun 18

Catholics believe Mary lived a completely sinless life - Protestants disagree
Catholics believe Mary is part of the Godhead - Protestants disagree
Catholics believe Christ's work on the cross was insufficient and further efforts on our part are necessary for salvation - Protestants disagree
Catholics believe we should pray to Mary and the Saints - Protestants disagree
Catholics believe priests have the power to forgive sin - Protestants disagree

And on and on. Many Protestants believe Catholicism is the work of Satan and the Roman Catholic Church is the "whore of Babylon" spoken about in Revelation.

Moves
18 Jun 18

The reason is simple. It the same reason why I get bashed here every day. Protestant Christians have a deep down hatred for anyone who speaks of good works and righteousness or following the commandments of Christ. Catholics are in that category. To be saved according to them you have to profess faith alone. Even speaking of works means you are insulting Christ ... apparently.
“To be saved according to them you have to profess faith alone. ”

I don’t know where you get your information but good works were essential for salvation in my Catholic boyhood indoctrination. A difference might be that we were taught it was achievable for all of us.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
18 Jun 18

Originally posted by @fmf
You need to ask not me but those who view the Catholic Church as a "Satanic" cult.
And exactly who are these people?

Apparently, you know of some. "Enlighten" us.