Why Adam's Rib Became Eve

Why Adam's Rib Became Eve

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
15 Feb 21

@sonship said
Now, while I contemplate your sparse and often piece-meal little replies along the way, I will embark on speaking to some here more about Adam's rib being build-ed into a woman.
It's you who seems to be fleeing discussion of "Adam's rib"

Third time of asking:

The Adam's rib thing is [1] surely a metaphor, right? There is no reason to take it literally, is there? And [2] it is also surely a metaphor whose purpose is to underpin the social order and gender relations that the people who wrote it, in the context of their times, believed in and wanted to perpetuate, yes?

F

Moves
15 Feb 21

@sonship said
If this bores you simply put some more effort into explaining your own belief to those more interested in that.
I will continue to post as I see fit ~ as you should, too ~ and if that means an ongoing counterpoint to whatever torturer god/heart of darkness ideology/Witness Lee books you are peddling, then so be it, regardless of how "interested" you are.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Feb 21

I said Adam is a pre-figure of Christ.
The first man tells us something about the second man.

Whether you believe the Bible or not, most people know Adam caused some terrible problems. When my son was a child he told me that in the next world he wanted to have a talk with Adam about the problems he caused. I laughed.

However, Paul writes of Christ as accomplishing "much more" then the failure/s of Adam. Paul says where something negative abounded from Adam, something positive much more super abounded in Christ.

Ie. Yes, Adam failed. But Christ "much more" succeeded.
Ie. Yes, Adam messed up and some problems abounded.
But in Christ something positive super abounded all the more.

This is significant because Christ did not just remedy problems caused by Adam.
Christ remedied and went beyond to surpass the damage.

This also is significant. Even before Adam failed it was in the heart of God that Christ would more than super abound and rectify beyond the uttermost any damage caused from Adam.

One more step. Before God even created "the first man" He already had in His heart the surpassing, super-abounding, super positive blessings to humanity in Christ.

" . . . Adam . . . who is a type of Him who was to come." (Rom. 5:14b)

What pertained to the creation of Adam offers insight into God's predestinated eternal purpose in Christ.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Feb 21
3 edits

@FMF

It's you who seems to be fleeing discussion of "Adam's rib"

I am getting to my faith. You should explain yours.
Tell the people more about the arrival of personhood, morality, abstract thinking, and such abilities from non-living matter.

You and Ghost can explain why no plan, no goal, no purpose, "chose" or "selected" or somehow meandered around to cause man to emerge from dirt.

Why did that happen? Tell everybody.
Be verbose. Why wait for me to drag out tiny bits of thoughts "obvious to everyone" -your beliefs which render the Bible unnecessary?

Are you waiting for Ghost or is he waiting for you?

F

Moves
15 Feb 21

@sonship said
@FMF
I am getting to my faith. You should explain yours.
Tell the people more about the arrival of personhood, morality, abstract thinking, and such abilities from non-living matter.
There have been dozens of threads about this issue - and the kind of framing of it that you use - that you steered clear of. And it doesn't seem to matter how many times people answer the question, you just ignore them.

F

Moves
15 Feb 21
1 edit

@sonship said
You and Ghost can explain why no plan, no goal, no purpose, "chose" or "selected" or somehow meandered around to cause man to emerge from dirt.
The "plan, goal, purpose" thing you keep referring to is something YOU are asserting exists. I am not asserting that the "plan, goal, purpose" thing exists. So there is no onus on me to "explain" it. What you are engaging in here is sophistry. You are in low-integrity mode.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Feb 21
4 edits

Folks if your reading, don't expect only me to preach.

FMF and Ghost can be more than judges peppering Christians with objections to their faith in the bible. They can take the initiative to explain such beliefs as they have.

Am I the only one who can explain what I believe on Spirituality?

Over billions of years SOMEHOW, they believe, the need for soul, mind or something non-material had to be associated with or incased in material. And this eventually after a long, long period of purposeless interactions of atoms developed into ONE species among many, many, that had the capacity of abstract thought and morality.

FMF and/or Ghost are going to explain why we shouldn't just take this as religious dogma but explain the logic of why it must have been so.

While they compete in the market of ideas here, I will be talking more today about Adam's rib being built into his wife and what that probably signifies.

F

Moves
15 Feb 21

@sonship said
Be verbose.
Oh, the irony.

F

Moves
15 Feb 21

@sonship said
Why do you react so badly to dissent and comment?

F

Moves
15 Feb 21

@sonship said
While the compete in the market of ideas here, I will be talking more today about Adam's rib being built into his wife and what that probably signifies.
Fourth time of asking:

The Adam's rib thing is [1] surely a metaphor, right? There is no reason to take it literally, is there? And [2] it is also surely a metaphor whose purpose is to underpin the social order and gender relations that the people who wrote it, in the context of their times, believed in and wanted to perpetuate, yes?

G

santa cruz, ca.

Moves
15 Feb 21

@sonship said
I believe that it is hugely significant that the Bible describes the creation of the first man and his wife as it does.

God created Adam. And from Adam's living body he extracted a rib and built from that living material his wife - Eve.

This simple picture I think is a window in the very meaning of human life and purpose. I regard the Apostle Paul as having much sp ...[text shortened]... eated them, and He blessed them and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created." [/b]
why a rib?
creating woman from Adam's heart would have been so much more meaningful

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Feb 21

@FMF
Spend your effort on making sense to us of your views on natural selection leading from dirt to abstract thinking moral beings.

Collect your thoughts and show other than piecemeal snipping at Christians, WHY your world view makes the Bible unnecessary.

TALK and don't expect the Christian to laboriously yank tiny bits of insight from you. "But it is all so obvious" is kind of the lazy way.

F

Moves
15 Feb 21

@sonship said
A blog would be a place for you to explain stuff without people interrupting you. This is a message board for debate and discussion.

F

Moves
15 Feb 21

@sonship said
Spend your effort on making sense to us of your views on natural selection leading from dirt to abstract thinking moral beings.
I have addressed this over and over again.

F

Moves
15 Feb 21

@sonship said
Collect your thoughts and show other than piecemeal snipping at Christians, WHY your world view makes the Bible unnecessary.
I have never claimed the Bible is "unnecessary". You are making stuff up.