Why Adam's Rib Became Eve

Why Adam's Rib Became Eve

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Feb 21

@Ghost-of-a-Duke

Currently you are repeatedly asking versions of the same question and repeatedly ignoring my answers. Are you aware you are doing that?

I am aware that you cannot admit that you don't know, other than regurgitating scientism's dogmas.

"Take it on faith that that is the way it is" seems to be what you are saying.

You see I ADMIT that I have a faith. No problem.
You have one too but think its something else.

Now some people may be interested what the Bible says about marriage and why God built a woman out of a rib of Adam.

No hurry. You have every right to present your religion here.

Who wants anything to SURVIVE anyway?

Moves
14 Feb 21

@sonship said

Who wants anything to SURVIVE anyway?
Normal folk.

Until the morrow sir.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Feb 21

@Ghost-of-a-Duke

Normal folk.

Until the morrow sir.

Good day sir.
Latter you can tell us who decides who is "normal".

F

Moves
14 Feb 21

@sonship said
@FMF
"Why" is a question for religionists.

You just attempted to explain the why of something. So you're a religionist I guess.
No, I did not try to explain any answer to the religionists' "why" question. I am not a religionist. This is trite sophistry on your part.

F

Moves
14 Feb 21
1 edit

@sonship said
Are you more comfortable being with no purpose and according to no plan?
If ancient Hebrew folklore and supernatural conjecture make you feel comfortable because it gives you a purpose and plan to believe in, that's all well and good. But it does not create any credible imperative to subscribe to the same aspirations and certainties that you need in order to to feel comfortable.

F

Moves
14 Feb 21
1 edit

@sonship said
"Only religion asks why" [paraphrased] is not a good enough reply for me.
If it isn't a good enough reply, then stick with relgion. You can go for any religion you want. What is stopping you?

F

Moves
14 Feb 21

@sonship said
@Ghost-of-a-Duke
Does it matter?

Yea. What? People are not suppose to be curious?

How unscientific.
Curiosity is part and parcel of the human condition. People turning to various religious traditions that they feel offer narratives that satisfy their curiosity is part and parcel of the human condition. If you are worried about being "unscientific" about this, maybe two disciplines to look at are anthropology and psychology.

F

Moves
14 Feb 21

@sonship said
Anybody want to explain why we evolved as a species?
According to the ideology that you propagate here, the human race evolved as a species so that your God figure could inflict grotesque, vengeful, neverending violence on most of them for their religious beliefs or lack thereof.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Feb 21
2 edits

@FMF

Curiosity is part and parcel of the human condition.

That's interesting. Why is curiosity part and parcel of the human condition?

People turning to various religious traditions that they feel offer narratives that satisfy their curiosity is part and parcel of the human condition.

That's right, like belief in multiverses, parallel worlds, abiogenesis, reincarnation (with a scientific flare maybe), advanced civilizations with flying saucers out there, lifeless rock to living human evolution, materialism, etc.

If you are worried about being "unscientific" about this, maybe two disciplines to look at are anthropology and psychology.

You mean chemistry don't you? In an atheistic naturalistic world all psychology would actually just boil down to chemistry.

And anthropology is often too given to specie-ism tending to unduly elevate humans over other organisms - a kind of racism favoring humans. Who said people are the "higher" living organisms on the planet. Anthropology can display an undue self arrogance toward humans over other animals.

Have you considered the tapeworm?
Why not put cockroaches at the pinnacle of living things on the planet?

F

Moves
15 Feb 21

@sonship said
God created Adam. And from Adam's living body he extracted a rib and built from that living material his wife - Eve. This simple picture I think is a window in the very meaning of human life and purpose.
This is [1] surely a metaphor, right? There is no reason to take it literally, is there? And [2] it is also surely a metaphor whose purpose is to underpin the social order and gender relations that the people who wrote it, in the context of their times, believed in and wanted to perpetuate, yes?

F

Moves
15 Feb 21

@sonship said
@FMF
Curiosity is part and parcel of the human condition.

That's interesting. Why is curiosity part and parcel of the human condition?
Because of our consciousness and our capacity for abstract thought.

F

Moves
15 Feb 21

@sonship said
You mean chemistry don't you? In an atheistic naturalistic world all psychology would actually just boil down to chemistry.
This may be where some people's curiosity takes them, sure.

F

Moves
15 Feb 21

@sonship said
And anthropology is often too given to specie-ism tending to unduly elevate humans over other organisms - a kind of racism humans. Who said people are the "higher" living organisms on the planet. Anthropology can display an undue self arrogance toward humans over other animals.
Well, the inferiority and/or superiority of human beings with regard to other creatures plays itself out in various ways and to varying degrees in the world we live in.

Anthropology is "the study of human beings and their ancestors through time and space and in relation to physical character, environmental and social relations, and culture" [wiki]. For "the scientific study of the behavior, structure, physiology, classification, and distribution of animals", that's zoology.

Arguing that anthropology is "arrogance" doesn't make any sense to be.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Feb 21
1 edit

@FMF

Because of our consciousness and our capacity for abstract thought.

Then abstract thought was absent for millions of years in animals.
How come all of a sudden ( on a relative scale) there was a need for it?

What is in this program of evolution that makes arrival at abstract thought a necessity?

Rocks were unconscious for billions of years. How come the material universe had a need for consciousness to emerge somehow?

F

Moves
15 Feb 21

@sonship said
Why not put cockroaches at the pinnacle of living things on the planet?
Why would I? This has to be one of the most peculiar straw man arguments ever. Is it your religious beliefs that prevent you from putting "cockroaches at the pinnacle of living things on the planet"?